Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-12-06, 11:02 AM   #1
guillomovitch

Default Troubles configuring an external beamer on a laptop

Hello.

I have trouble configuring properly a Dell M60 Laptop, with a 1920X1200 screen
and a Quadro FX Go700, to use an external beamer with simultaneous display on
both output. I'm running Mandrivalinux cooker (the development version, with xorg 7.1. Searching the web only returns fragmentary answers. NVidia manuel, while technically OK, lacks a general overview about available strategies. So I'm currently trying to summarize what I understood so far.

I can use any of the following three different xorg configurations:
- single head
- dual head
- twinview

Single head
-----------
According to NVidia manual, just plugging an external beamer, and using the LCD/CRT hotkey should be enough to switch between CRT only, LCD only and LCD + CRT mode, using the maximal resolution supported by both devices at once.

However, all my test failed: I could only achieve beamer only, using 1280x1024 resolution, and no hint appears in xorg log files about the problems.

And even if this would have worked, this solution would restrict the laptop resolution to the maximum supported resolution of the beamer (1280x1024, or 1024x768), preveting it to use its native 1920x1200 resolution.

Dual head
---------
This solution should allow to use maximum resolution for both devices, using additional xorg configuration sections for monitor, device and screen.

However, the nvidia driver systematically makes the CRT output the primary screen. I didn't found any way to change this, with either "screen" directive in device section, or "ConnectedMonitor" in screen section, as advised at http://linuxguru.nl/articles/2005/12...inspiron-8600c. As a workaround, you need to have two layout sections, one for dualhead with CRT as first screen and LCD as second, or for single head with only LCD.

Anyway, I never managed in my tests with the dualhead layout to have LCD screen work, all I have was a blue screen. The singleahead layout works OK.

Twinwview
---------
This also offers the possibility to configure different resolutions for both
output, with just additional options in the device section.

Again, the nvidia drivers always makes the CRT output the primary screen, as previously. "ConnectedMonitor" option does not allow to change this. But specifying in metamodes to which device each resolution apply works: "DFP-0: 1920x1200, CRT-0: 1280x1024".

Conclusion: only twinview worked, whereas the two others failed for unknown reasons. Are these nvidia driver bugs ? Hardware bugs ? How are we supposed to report them ?
guillomovitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-06, 11:06 AM   #2
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Troubles configuring an external beamer on a laptop

Please start X with the following command:
startx -- -logverbose 5

and then generate and post an nvidia-bug-report.log which captures the problem(s).

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-06, 10:23 AM   #3
guillomovitch

Actually, I'd prefered comments about my understanding of the situation. For instance, I finally found than using "ConnectedMonitor" option, in dual-head mode, is wrong, while "UseDisplayDevice" option is the correct way to force screen affectation.

I finally suceeded making twinview and dual-head setups work on two different desktop models. Single-head setup, however, still fails. Here are corresponding logs.
Old 09-27-06, 10:52 AM   #4
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

X is running on the CRT in your bug report. What does "Single-head setup, however, still fails" mean?

Thanks,
-Lonni
Old 09-28-06, 06:53 AM   #5
kda

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillomovitch

Dual head
---------
...However, the nvidia driver systematically makes the CRT output the primary screen. I didn't found any way to change this,...

Hello.

I have the same problem. Is there really no possibility to make the DFP output the primary screen?

Thanks,
kda
kda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-06, 11:00 AM   #6
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Which 'same problem' are you having? Please provide a bug report which captures this problem.

See the README for the 1.0-9625 driver for information on how to set a DFP as the primary display when using Twinview with a CRT.

Thanks,
Lonni
Old 09-28-06, 01:48 PM   #7
kda

I use this and not Twinview.

My problem:
The nvidia driver systematically makes the CRT output the primary screen and I will have the DFP (notebook display) as the primary display.
Old 09-28-06, 01:51 PM   #8
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Please provide a bug report which captures this problem.

Old 09-28-06, 02:18 PM   #9
kda

Here is my bug report.
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.tar.gz (16.3 KB, 112 views)
Old 09-28-06, 02:38 PM   #10
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Try using the UseDisplayDevice option, or reverse the Screen numbering in your xorg.conf.

-Lonni
Old 09-28-06, 03:06 PM   #11
kda

Thank you!

The UseDisplayDevice option solves my problem. (reverse the Screen numbering doesn't work)
Old 10-19-06, 08:38 AM   #12
guillomovitch

With a single-head setup, according to the documentation, the driver should cycle on each keyboard switch press between DFP only, CRT onyl, and CRT+DFP display, using largest resolution available for both devices.

However, I'm only able to have CRT only display. Hence my claim than single-head setup doesn't work as expected.