Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-17-03, 04:27 AM   #1
mfred

Default twinview ok but want no panning - how ?

Hi!

I have setup the twinview in the config but have 2 problems.

1. Monitor 1600x1200

2. Monitor 1024x768 @1024x1200 (as described in the readme) because otherwise the rest of the screen is invisible.

How can I setup that the 2nd monitor donīt need scrolling - just simple 1024x768 ?

2nd question: When I try to start a game (ut2k3, rtcw, SC,...) it isnīt starting with twinview config - why... ?

Is twinview the only option for dualhead or are there other solutions (for 2 different sized monitors) too ?

Using: Leadtek WinFast PX6800 TDH PCIe
mfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-03, 08:04 AM   #2
bwkaz

You can't do it with TwinView that I know of. The whole principle behind TwinView is to provide X with a single logical screen. Unless maybe there's an option with panning domains... check the README for that one.

As for other ways to do it, you can set the system up like in one of the later appendices to the README, where you have separate X servers running on separate screens. Or, you could just have 2 screens and use Xinerama instead of TwinView. However, with the first solution, games will only run on one screen, and the second one doesn't (AFAIK) support hardware acceleration.

And regarding your sig, yes, ATI does in fact provide Linux drivers. They have since (at least) last November:

http://mirror.ati.com/support/driver...e&cmdNext=Next

Read the docs, though, obviously.
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-03, 08:19 AM   #3
mfred

Quote:
Originally posted by bwkaz
You can't do it with TwinView that I know of. The whole principle behind TwinView is to provide X with a single logical screen. Unless maybe there's an option with panning domains... check the README for that one.

As for other ways to do it, you can set the system up like in one of the later appendices to the README, where you have separate X servers running on separate screens. Or, you could just have 2 screens and use Xinerama instead of TwinView. However, with the first solution, games will only run on one screen, and the second one doesn't (AFAIK) support hardware acceleration.

Yes I saw this option, will give it a try if twinview isnīt working as I suppose
Quote:
And regarding your sig, yes, ATI does in fact provide Linux drivers. They have since (at least) last November:

http://mirror.ati.com/support/driver...e&cmdNext=Next

Read the docs, though, obviously.
yeah - little outdated I have to update my sig in
Thanks ATI for providing leak linux drivers with performance which is totally weak.

Using: Leadtek WinFast PX6800 TDH PCIe
mfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-03, 11:37 AM   #4
bwkaz

Are they crappy? I've never tried them (last ATI card I tried was a Radeon 7500LE POS that ran Quake 2 at like 30fps, with the DRI drivers directly from their CVS; I have a feeling the card was bad, though, because I had another one that I popped in and got 60fps instantly), just heard that they existed.
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote