Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-17-06, 10:27 PM   #1
LiquidX
xxxxxxx

Default Add me to the list......

of now dead XBox 360 owners. It started to freeze up after I tried to play Dead Rising the other day and ever since then it began to freeze up within a few seconds of being powerd on. Hasn't been moved in months but still I tested all the wires and still it persisted untill I finally got the red ring of death. I knew the day would come with all the apparent 360 unit failures so I am not terribly shocked but very surprised being that it was played maybe three hours a week and I took such good care of it and kept it in a well ventilated place.

I have a few questions for those who have had a system go bad and recieved a replacement from MS.

1- Can you use your hard drive from the system that died on the new system they send you? I have heard the hd is tied to the system.

2- Also is the system they send you new or a refurb? I would really hate it if they sent me a refurb being that my system is pristine and practically new.

This has not completly turned me off of the 360 because so many games I want to play are coming this winter but it has really given me second thoughts on holding on to the system for very long with all widespread failures and I would hate to have to send in my system every few months for repairs. They have sent out a "coffin" for me to send it back to them so I hope I get it back before TGS and those new demos.
LiquidX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-06, 10:38 PM   #2
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger
Default Re: Add me to the list......

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidX
of now dead XBox 360 owners. It started to freeze up after I tried to play Dead Rising the other day and ever since then it began to freeze up within a few seconds of being powerd on. Hasn't been moved in months but still I tested all the wires and still it persisted untill I finally got the red ring of death. I knew the day would come with all the apparent 360 unit failures so I am not terribly shocked but very surprised being that it was played maybe three hours a week and I took such good care of it and kept it in a well ventilated place.

I have a few questions for those who have had a system go bad and recieved a replacement from MS.

1- Can you use your hard drive from the system that died on the new system they send you? I have heard the hd is tied to the system.

2- Also is the system they send you new or a refurb? I would really hate it if they sent me a refurb being that my system is pristine and practically new.

This has not completly turned me off of the 360 because so many games I want to play are coming this winter but it has really given me second thoughts on holding on to the system for very long with all widespread failures and I would hate to have to send in my system every few months for repairs. They have sent out a "coffin" for me to send it back to them so I hope I get it back before TGS and those new demos.
The HD should work on any 360. Otherwise, whats the point of having a portable HDD.

Depending on your service level agreement They should repair your current machine, or replace it new. Most people I know with issues just had theirs replaced.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-06, 02:01 AM   #3
Peoples-Agent
Vape Therapist

I bought a second hand Core unit from Game just for these reasons. Get 12 months warranty, if it packs in ...I can just go in and swap it out, no gripes and the hard drive is a seperate issue. Also worked out alot cheaper too.
Flesh of her flesh they were, spirit of her spirit,
Fallen in the cause of the free.
Peoples-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-06, 08:57 AM   #4
ENU291
Die spammer!! DIE!!!

Send a message via AIM to ENU291 Send a message via Yahoo to ENU291

The return and replacement process is pretty painless. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Until MS reduces the die size of the CPU the current problems that 360 owners are experiencing will continue. My launch 360 took a dump on me after 3 months of use. Thank goodness that the replacement 360 has been rock solid ever since. Once the new 360 models are released I'll ask MS to replace my unit.
EVGA 8800GTX; Asus MSN-SLI Deluxe mobo; Athlon X2 5200+(225X13/2.93GHZ); Corsair XMS TWIN2X (1024X4); WD Raptor 150GB HD; MAXTOR 500GB HD; CL X-Fi XtremeGamer; Xbox360 HD-DVD; Plextor 18X DVD-RW/+RW; Dell 2707WFP

Registered Linux User # 444118 Xbox360 GamerTag: StryderXx PSN ID: StryderXx

Quote:
Originally Posted by nVJoe
Gamers are the most unhappy and miserable consumer group I know of. Just sit back, relax and have fun.
ENU291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-06, 11:50 AM   #5
ralinn
Masters

Add me to the list too. I thought mine was all ok until it started crashing yesterday. I phoned up their support and I have to send it back to them to get repaired :/

Aww

3Dmark06 Score: Who the **** actually cares?
360 & PSN ID: ralinn
ralinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-06, 11:59 AM   #6
LurkerLito

If you get your 360 repaired or replaced, do the arcade games you bought still work the same?

From my understanding only the 360 that you bought the arcade game on can play the game using a non enabled live account. So if you have other non xblive accounts on the machine they can no longer play the arcade games, only when your account you purchased the arcade game with is signed on to xblive can play the arcade games.
LurkerLito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-06, 02:02 PM   #7
ENU291
Die spammer!! DIE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerLito
If you get your 360 repaired or replaced, do the arcade games you bought still work the same?

From my understanding only the 360 that you bought the arcade game on can play the game using a non enabled live account. So if you have other non xblive accounts on the machine they can no longer play the arcade games, only when your account you purchased the arcade game with is signed on to xblive can play the arcade games.
Just hold on the to hard drive. Once your new 360 is delivered connect the old drive and you're back in business. If you're using a new hard drive then your Xbox Live enabled account keeps track of what you've purchased. Just re-download the games you've unlocked. As per off line accounts playing those games... I would visit the Xbox forums to see if any mods have posted answers to that question.
EVGA 8800GTX; Asus MSN-SLI Deluxe mobo; Athlon X2 5200+(225X13/2.93GHZ); Corsair XMS TWIN2X (1024X4); WD Raptor 150GB HD; MAXTOR 500GB HD; CL X-Fi XtremeGamer; Xbox360 HD-DVD; Plextor 18X DVD-RW/+RW; Dell 2707WFP

Quote:
Gamers are the most unhappy and miserable consumer group I know of. Just sit back, relax and have fun.
Old 09-18-06, 03:21 PM   #8
ralinn
Masters

They told me to include the HDD... dunno if I should or not. Really don't wanna lose my Enchanted arms saves

3Dmark06 Score: Who the **** actually cares?
360 & PSN ID: ralinn
ralinn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-06, 04:44 PM   #9
BioHazZarD
USCM Marine

Send a message via MSN to BioHazZarD

hah i could guess what it was by the topic.. sorry to hear that
Chieftec Miditower /w 5 case fans | Corsair 620W HX PSU | Asus M4N98TD EVO SLI | AMD Athlon2 X2 260 3,2GHz | Corsair 3GB PC3-10666 | eVGA Geforce GTX 460 1GB (336shader) | Samsung Spinpoint x2 250GB HD +SATA 320GB | SB Audigy 4 @ 2.1 | Samsung Syncmaster BX2331 TFT 23" running 1920x1080@60hz | Windows XP PRO SP2 | |
BioHazZarD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-06, 07:38 PM   #10
brady
I'm like everyone else.

That's strange that they told you to include your hard drive. I kept mine. I think most people get refurbs back. Mine was a refurb. So far so good...I don't want to have to send another one back.

C2D @ 3.0GHz | GA-P35-DS3L | 4GB DDR2 | HIS AMD 6990 4GB | OS X Lion 10.7 | Windows 7 Ultimate x64
brady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-06, 01:32 AM   #11
LiquidX
xxxxxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by brady
That's strange that they told you to include your hard drive. I kept mine. I think most people get refurbs back. Mine was a refurb. So far so good...I don't want to have to send another one back.
What did you do with the spare hard drive? Did you have any problems using it on the refurb and what was the condition of your refurb system Brady?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralinn
They told me to include the HDD... dunno if I should or not. Really don't wanna lose my Enchanted arms saves
The EU has some very strict warraty policies I have read so they may be sending you a new one. I would hold on to the hd though.
LiquidX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-06, 09:47 AM   #12
ENU291
Die spammer!! DIE!!!

AFAIK if you send your 360 to MS for repair without the hard drive attached the replacement will also have no hard drive attached. I know of a few cases early on in the exchange process where the end user ended up with 2 hard drives but I doubt that is still happening today.

Quote: