Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-20-06, 04:51 PM   #1
technog

Unhappy Networking broken with Nvidia chip/ASUS A8N-VM CSM mobo

This new machine running Suse 10.0 is not able to access network reliably.

I did download the nforce drivers from Nvidia's site (forcedeth) and ran the required script. It ran ok w/o any errors; at least it didnt complain.

The strange behavior is that when booted, I can access the network. After a couple of minutes, the network connection is lost i.e. is not accessible. I cannot ping anything on the network.

However, when this machine is booted up with Windows XP Pro, the network works well. i.e. I can access the network and the internet. So I am guessing that the interconnection with the nvidia drivers with linux is the culprit.

The messages file has a lot of eth0: timed out errors.

Any ideas anyone ? especially anyone at Nvidia/Suse ???
If anyone has this motherboard, please let me know how your ethernet is configured.

Thanks,

Sunil
technog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-06, 10:50 AM   #2
cyberluk

Default Re: Networking broken with Nvidia chip/ASUS A8N-VM CSM mobo

Yes I have same problem on Fedora Core 5 with MSI K8NGM-V (NVIDIA C51G + MCP51G Chipset Based). I had problems with eth0 and soundcard as well. I had to disable LAN and AUDIO in BIOS and replace network winth 3COM PCI card and sound with SoundBlaster Live - everything works right from then. The latest kernel+nvidia closed source drivers doesn't help.
I only still have problems with graphic (integrated Geforce 6100) - I had to turn HWCursor Off in order to see the cursor in X. But without HWCursor, I can't use Compiz+XGL, because I need HWCursor there and it just doesn't work - the cursor doesn't show.
cyberluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-06, 02:49 PM   #3
technog

So now your networking is working with Linux and Windows ?
Mine is a dual boot machine, and I am hoping for networking to work on both.

In this day and age, you figure that chipset manufacturers would have something like tcp down pact ! and have the appropriate drivers for them.

I cant seem to understand why nvidia is doing this to their linux community.
technog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-06, 04:25 PM   #4
kenyee

You should look at the other threads on this and mentioned dual-boot initially (search for "forcedeth")

Try this:
Pull the power plug for your system out of the wall.
Let it sit for 5min.
Boot into Linux.
See if networking works.

If it does, it's because you're running an ancient forcedeth. Delete windows off your system and you should be all set :-)
kenyee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-06, 11:33 PM   #5
fbg111

Quote:
Originally Posted by technog
Any ideas anyone ? especially anyone at Nvidia/Suse ???
If anyone has this motherboard, please let me know how your ethernet is configured.
I configured it by throwing it away (after 4 months of frustrating hacking) and getting an MSI K8NGM2-FID instead. The Asus has a broken DSDT table, making it nearly impossible to get working. Their latest bios's were supposed to fix this, but didn't on my board. This thread covers it in detail. The MSI is known to run Linux well, though I haven't tried yet since I switched to Solaris and Nexenta. Unfortunately, the MSI is discontinued in the US, though it looks like some are available from this UK reseller. Don't know if they ship to the US, though, if that's where you are.
fbg111 is offline   Reply With Quote