Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA Legacy Graphics Cards

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-21-06, 10:48 AM   #1
munim2020

Send a message via MSN to munim2020
Unhappy nvidia 6200 agp.. computer crashes..

hey.. here is my computer config:
asrock intel 865gv m/b
intel p4 2.4ghz
512mb ddr33 ram
bigtek nv 6200 agp 256mb

i have my gpu for about a year and it has been running fine... but recently something is wrong.. everytime i open NV control panel the monitor flashes(like when i change the resolution)..btw its a crt monitor. this also happens when i right click on a video file..
the gaming performance is still good.. but sometimes all of a sudden the game just freezes and i can't even get back to windows.. the computer just crashes.. this is especially irritating if I am playing with my friends on LAN!
i re-installed windows xp all over again but it didn't help.. so it should be a hardware problem..i just got the latest NVidia drivers from the website and installed it yesterday.. but its still not solved..
please help! thanks a lot.
munim2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-06, 11:09 AM   #2
Krazykilla

Default Re: nvidia 6200 agp.. computer crashes..

Many times this will indicate the start of hardware failure. You can try using an older driver as the 80 series drivers seem to work better with the 6 series video cards. Head over to www.nvidia.com and try using the 84.21 driver in the nivida driver archive. This will help speed the process should you need to contact the manufacture for an RMA.
Krazykilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-06, 01:56 AM   #3
munim2020

hmm.. okay i'll try that and get back to you.. i never knew that older drivers could work better..
by the way, what is "RMA"?
Old 09-22-06, 02:11 AM   #4
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Quote:
Originally Posted by munim2020
hmm.. okay i'll try that and get back to you.. i never knew that older drivers could work better..
by the way, what is "RMA"?
I believe its Return Merchandise Authorization or Return Material Authorization. Samething. Depends on the company.

It's when you get permission from an online store or vendor to return the card to be tested and replaced/repaired under warranty.

One tip is. Make sure there is a serial number on the card before you send it back. I had a bad experience once
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-06, 05:05 AM   #5
baghira666

Send a message via Skype™ to baghira666

Quote:
asrock intel 865gv m/b
intel p4 2.4ghz
512mb ddr33 ram
bigtek nv 6200 agp 256mb

i have my gpu for about a year and it has been running fine... but recently something is wrong.. everytime i open NV control panel the monitor flashes(like when i change the resolution)..btw its a crt monitor. this also happens when i right click on a video file..
the gaming performance is still good.. but sometimes all of a sudden the game just freezes and i can't even get back to windows.. the computer just crashes.. this is especially irritating if I am playing with my friends on LAN!
i re-installed windows xp all over again but it didn't help.. so it should be a hardware problem..i just got the latest NVidia drivers from the website and installed it yesterday.. but its still not solved..
well i had a similar system and it works fine.
i compiled the driver with the 8774 driver file
MSI mainboard
celeron 2,4
nvidian6200
linux suse 9.2
baghira666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-06, 10:56 AM   #6
munim2020

Krazykilla, i installed 84.21 and started playing command n conquer generals(an old game which really requires almost no config).. running smoothly for about 30 minutes, then the game freezes, computer freezes and all i can do is restart my computer..
baghira666, i can try 8774 but i don't have it with me right now.. i have to sit and download it... are you sure it will solve my problem? did your monitor used to flash everytime you tried to open control panel? i'll start downloading and wait for your reply..
Old 09-22-06, 11:07 AM   #7
munim2020

hey.. there isn't a 87.74 driver in the nvidia archive! http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-2k_archive.html
do you mean 77 or something?
Old 09-22-06, 02:12 PM   #8
Stoneyguy
Mechwarrior

Send a message via MSN to Stoneyguy

sounds like it may be a heat problem. Even if you didn't add anything recently, as your components begin to age they can become more easily effected by a rise in temp. Check all your fans and make sure they are operating normally and if you can add cooling I would consider doing so.
Stoneyguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-06, 01:41 PM   #9
munim2020

i tried 77.77 still the problem occurs..
hey i don't think its something to do with heating.. all my fans are working fine and anyways the nvidia control panel shows 44-46C most of the times... my CPU is open half of the time cuz i keep fooling around.. there is no chance of overheating..
you guys think i should go for that RMA thingy? i have the serial number on my card. i just can't figure out whats wrong with it..
Old 09-24-06, 03:57 PM   #10
Stoneyguy
Mechwarrior

Send a message via MSN to Stoneyguy

You ever run "dxdiag"? Even if things all check out it wouldn't hurt to reinstall DirectX 9C.
Stoneyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-06, 12:53 PM   #11
munim2020

how do i re-install directx? there is no option to uninstall it.. anyways i am not sure if it will work cuz i have even reinstalled windows to solve this problem but it still keeps popping up..
today i was playing on LAN with my friends and the computer crashed.. i got so pissed i removed my graphics card and now i am on onboard graphics..
could it be that there is something wrong with my motherboard or something?
now i am really thinking of asking my dad for getting me a new laptop.. but that will take some time.
Old 12-04-06, 09:48 AM   #12
splattt

Quote:
asrock intel 865gv m/b
intel p4 2.4ghz
512mb ddr33 ram
bigtek nv 6200 agp 256mb

even i have

asrock intel 865gv m/b
intel celeron 2.4ghz
but with 1gb ddr333 ram
and Zebronics nVidia 6200 AGP 256mb
I have recently found that if i upgrade to the 9x.xx series of drivers i cant seem to play any videos.... but the gaming performance sure becomes a hell of a lot better....
But when i try to play fifa07.... the computer crashes with a blue screen saying displaydeviceerror or something like that....
nvidia guys dont seem to give a damn about it...... and zebronics is unresponsive.....
i have no idea what to do...
i would appreciate it if someone could help me to fix this problem.... and also find a way for me to be able to upgrade to latest nvidia drivers without having video playback problems....
Thanks
splattt is offline   Reply With Quote