Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-26-06, 02:30 PM   #13
inordkuo

Default Re: nVidia driver corrupts pcHDTV 3000 mpeg stream

if it were a hardware issue, what would i do to correct it? replace the mobo? swap pci slots? install an agp nvidia card instead fo using the onboard?

the reason that i think it's a driver issus is that my machine works fine with kernel 2.6.17 and nvidia driver 8774. when i boot into kernel 2.6.18 the pchdtv card starts having trouble. this makes me think that this is a driver issue...some conflict between the nvidia driver and the pchdtv driver.
inordkuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-06, 03:24 PM   #14
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Does the problem go away if you switch to the nv or vesa X driver?
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-06, 03:59 PM   #15
inordkuo

i will try that when i get home from work tonight and post the results.
Old 10-26-06, 08:57 PM   #16
xyzzy42

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
Earlier in a related thread, someone stated that the corruption also was present when using the 'nv' driver. That suggests that this is not an nvidia driver bug, but more likely a hardware issue.
I have this same problem with QAM reception and the HD-3000. It does NOT occur when using the 'nv' driver, only with the 'nvidia' driver. There have been quite a few posts on this at the pcHDTV forum.

"Video corruption" is a very vague problem. It could be a million things, known bugs in mplayer, dma buffer overflows, irqs getting dropped, etc.

This problem is video activity using the nvidia driver causes the demodulator to lose its signal lock. That in turns corrupts the mpeg stream.

It doesn't appear to effect 8-VSB reception, only QAM. Note that 8-VSB needs a much lower signal-to-noise ratio than 256-QAM for quasi-error-free reception.

I'm pretty sure that it is related to noise on the power supply rails created by the nvidia video card (FX5200 in my case). Something the nvidia driver does creates more noise than the nv driver. It does not appear to be any kind of buffer overflow (not the dvb layer dvr buffer, the cx88 DMA buffers, or the cx88's internal FIFO. Some people do have problems with those things, but that is a different issue).
xyzzy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-06, 12:08 AM   #17
inordkuo

i used the vesa driver and this issue only occurs using the nvidia driver. i have an hd-5000 and a pchdtv-5500 installed and running on my system. both are getting atsc input receiving signal from the same antenna using a splitter/combiner. the hd-5000 has no problems. it is ony the pchdtv that has issues when running the nvidia driver. i have onboard graphics NVIDIA geforce 6150. when i first built my mythtv setup a month or two ago everything ran fine. over time, using yum for upgrading things seemed to have gone downhill. i tried booting into into the previous kernel version fc5 2.6.17 and downgrading to nvidia 8774, but still had the same issue. i also have the pvr-500 in the same machine. maybe the ivtv drivers have something to do with this issue. i think this weekend i'll start by removing my other tuner cards. if that doesn't help i'll do a clean install of fedora core. should i go with fc 6 if it comes down to doing a reinstall?

Last edited by inordkuo; 10-27-06 at 08:03 AM.
Old 10-27-06, 12:57 PM   #18
inordkuo

so why would this noise issue only affect the pchdtv-5500 and not the hd-5000 which are both present in my setup? is the hd-5000 not as susceptible to noise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzzy42
I have this same problem with QAM reception and the HD-3000. It does NOT occur when using the 'nv' driver, only with the 'nvidia' driver. There have been quite a few posts on this at the pcHDTV forum.

"Video corruption" is a very vague problem. It could be a million things, known bugs in mplayer, dma buffer overflows, irqs getting dropped, etc.

This problem is video activity using the nvidia driver causes the demodulator to lose its signal lock. That in turns corrupts the mpeg stream.

It doesn't appear to effect 8-VSB reception, only QAM. Note that 8-VSB needs a much lower signal-to-noise ratio than 256-QAM for quasi-error-free reception.

I'm pretty sure that it is related to noise on the power supply rails created by the nvidia video card (FX5200 in my case). Something the nvidia driver does creates more noise than the nv driver. It does not appear to be any kind of buffer overflow (not the dvb layer dvr buffer, the cx88 DMA buffers, or the cx88's internal FIFO. Some people do have problems with those things, but that is a different issue).
Old 10-27-06, 01:40 PM   #19
inordkuo

also, this only happens on FOX. ABC, NBC, and CBS are all fine with the pchdtv. the hd-5000 can do all the channels and shows 70% or greater signal strength.

last night i tried going back to 2.6.17 and reinstalled the original v4l-dvb driver and downgraded to the nvidia 8774 driver. the issue was not resolved. maybe my system has been getting more noisy over time and it was just a coincidence that the pchdtv card started acting up immediately after an upgrade.
Old 10-28-06, 08:40 PM   #20
xyzzy42

Quote:
Originally Posted by inordkuo
so why would this noise issue only affect the pchdtv-5500 and not the hd-5000 which are both present in my setup? is the hd-5000 not as susceptible to noise?
Different cards, different designs. It might also be the slot the card is in.

Have you verified that video activity causes the card to lose signal quality and the drop the lock, e.g. with azap? Just having glitches in playback can be caused by many many different things.
xyzzy42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-06, 05:39 PM   #21
inordkuo

i didn't verify this with azap but i did test by tuning to the pchdtv on different myth frontend machine and going back and forth from init 3 and init 5 on the backend machine where the card is installed. when in init 5 if there is any X activity on the backend, on the frontend, the tuner signal gets distorted (audio dropout/stutter and video corruption). as soon as i go to init 3, everything is fine. i spent this entire weekend trouble shooting this problem. it tried swapping pci slots. i tried removing everything except for this card but the problem persisted. in the end i figured i'd try and switch my frontend and backend machines. the backend was an hp desktop. the frontend was a machine i put together. i was guessing that hp went cheap on the power supply and that it would be more noisy than the antec ps i bought. i'm not sure that was it, but i don't have nearly as much distortion when x is running using this new setup. i have to be doing something pretty X intensive like run an hd show and start another program, to even get the card to briefly lose signal lock now. it's not perfect but its usable now.
Old 11-25-06, 01:52 PM   #22
psiko

Thumbs up SOLVED!!! Re: nVidia driver corrupts pcHDTV 3000 mpeg stream

my memory was bad.
I've got two memory modules: one DDR333 und one DDR400, both with 512MB.
My mainboard runs the modules with 333MHz but it corrupts the 3d accelerator (video chipset use main memory, doesn't have own memory). However, memtest brings no errors... ?!?

Now I replace the DDR333 with an DDR400 and everything works fine.
3D games during DVB-T recording and an additional video playback. Good.

psiko
psiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-07, 11:58 AM   #23
dsdesroc

Has anybody found a solution for losing the signal lock when there's video playback? I doubt that everybody's issue is because of bad memory.

I have a GeForce 6200 AGP card (MB supports 4X) with pcHDTV-3000 card. Everything works fine with OTA ATSC... however, when I connected the cable, things change. Recording is great as long as nothing is going on the video card. But as soon as there are lots of action on the monitor (web page scrolling, video playback of any kind, whatever), the signal goes to crap. I verified this using dtvsignal and azap.

It also occurs with both the latest nvidia drivers and nv drivers (haven't tried plain VESA yet).

Has anyone made any more progress?
dsdesroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-07, 12:49 PM   #24
dillwead

The best analysis of this problem that I've seen comes from:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/list...tv/dev/236178?
After you read the thread, be sure to click next at the bottom because there is one final message that didn't get threaded. I know of a few instances where people have solved their problem by swapping in a worse power source. Another option is to purchase an HD-5500, as I think the issue is resolved with that card.
dillwead is offline   Reply With Quote