Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-26-06, 02:41 PM   #1
pijalu

Default 9625 with Go6200 direct rendering bug ?

Hi,

Didn't read anyone getting this funny issue:
On my laptop (sony vaio fs115-m), running gentoo, with Xorg 7.1 + compiz (head of today, with gtk-decorator), if I run compiz in direct mode, I have some limits on the number and/or size of the windows...

If I pass this limit, I get only black content or only the decoration.
Btw, this limit is small: max 2 terms

I can get the "content" back if I resize the window to a smaller size. Also, the maximum size seems to be linked to the number of windows + size.

Also, in indirect mode, everything is correct... As far as I can see, everything seems fine on the configuration side, compiz seems to be correctly linked...

So, any clue ?

I include screenshots + bug reports for info

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	before.jpg
Views:	1296
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	20588  Click image for larger version

Name:	after.jpg
Views:	1323
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	20589  
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (21.0 KB, 223 views)
pijalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-06, 10:01 PM   #2
shijtin

Default Re: 9625 with Go6200 direct rendering bug ?

Sorry, I don't have the solution, but you are not the only one (and I'm glad to see I'm not).

I have the exact same problem with a geforce 6200 turbocache under compiz or beryl. I can open more windows than 2 xterm, but not that much.

The indirect rendering solves the problem, but I can't get rid of the tearings in xv rendered videos.

The direct rendering solved my video tearings issues, but is unusable with this limitation.
shijtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-06, 04:03 PM   #3
pijalu

Glad to see someone else with same issue and with same hardware type... I can stop messing with my configuration now :-)
Old 09-28-06, 05:03 PM   #4
jamesjones
NVIDIA Corporation

This is a shortcoming of the current implementation of GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap in the drivers. When video RAM has been exhausted, the driver does not behave well (you get blank windows). TurboCache memory is currently cannot be used with GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap, so these problems will be especially noticeable on these parts. We're working on improving these cases.
jamesjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-06, 05:35 PM   #5
rottame

with direct rendering compiz is not usable on a 6200 tc... no more than 2-3 maximized windows... on a 1280x1024 screen
indirect rendering works... but with 10 windows it becomes sloooow

2 bug reports...
6200tc pcie and 6600gt agp

ciao
Angelo
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (26.9 KB, 237 views)
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report1.log.gz (27.1 KB, 214 views)
rottame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-06, 08:10 PM   #6
intangible

I get the same problems with a Twinview Setup trying to use the latest Beryl on this card:
Code:
lspci|grep VGA
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV37GL [Quadro FX 330/Quadro NVS280] (rev a2)
Only 64 megs ram on the card (a waste of a PCI-E slot?!); It jumps to mostly black windows instantly.
intangible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-06, 03:39 AM   #7
miragedarksun

I'd like to point out that this bug is present in every card, but depending on the amount of memory, the bug takes longer to appear. For example my 7900GT 256mb at 1680x1050 can take about 15 maximized windows plus some terminals. It's good enough for normal usage but definitely a bug that should be solved, with and without TurboCache. With my 7300 Go at 1280x800, i can only see 5 or 6 maximized windows, but that was expected because of TurboCache. The same problem was reported on a 6600 too.

For more details (with my bug-report if needed) see my post and others' in the original 9625 thread here.
miragedarksun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-06, 06:03 AM   #8
rottame

sorry.... wrong thread...
rottame is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-06, 04:18 PM   #9
pijalu

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesjones
This is a shortcoming of the current implementation of GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap in the drivers. When video RAM has been exhausted, the driver does not behave well (you get blank windows). TurboCache memory is currently cannot be used with GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap, so these problems will be especially noticeable on these parts. We're working on improving these cases.
Thanks for the "bug" confirmation (and especially to say that you will work on it )
Old 10-03-06, 07:43 PM   #10
trevorj

Send a message via ICQ to trevorj Send a message via AIM to trevorj Send a message via Yahoo to trevorj

First of all, NVIDIA: Thanks for releasing early beta drivers with GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap!

Quote:
This is a shortcoming of the current implementation of GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap in the drivers. When video RAM has been exhausted, the driver does not behave well (you get blank windows). TurboCache? memory is currently cannot be used with GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap, so these problems will be especially noticeable on these parts. We're working on improving these cases.
I think this should be put in the release notes though, especially for users of a low-memory graphics card with TC like me.
trevorj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-06, 03:23 AM   #11
aquila.deus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesjones
But why can't the driver just use AGPgart?? I have set it to 256MB... (total 1.5GB RAM)
aquila.deus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-06, 05:44 AM   #12
piotrq__

I read this when is was on #beryl-dev few days ago:

<onestone> aaronp: is nvidia aware of the black windows (out of vram) problem? Is there any solution for this?
<aaronp> onestone: Yes, NVIDIA is aware of it.
<aaronp> We're looking into some way of having pixmaps in shared texturable system, or something.

So no worries! It'll be fixed! :-)
piotrq__ is offline   Reply With Quote