Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-02-06, 10:31 AM   #13
Xevious

Question Re: Detects single-link

Quote:
Originally Posted by blargh
You can STOP trying to analyze things. I asked a specific question, and thats ALL I'm interested in. For the rest, I *DO* know how to handle them. Now, to refresh, all I'm interested in is overriding its detection of SINGLE LINK - ie FORCING it to DUAL LINK.
Wow touchy touchy! Netlama seemed to already have answered your *specific question*

Also, where does it say on the manufactor's site that that monitor supports dual link? Do you even realize that single link DVI and dual-link DVI are different, it isnt simply pumping more bandwidth through a cable? There is no way you can force something to detect as dual-link when it doesnt have dual TMDS, if it was a bug from before, then it was detecting dual link when it was not dual-link. I have yet to see any evidence that your display even supports a dual-link signal so I dont see why this should even matter to you. About the only displays I know of that ever use a dual link connection are LCD's which are 2048x1536 or above.
Xevious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-06, 10:49 AM   #14
blargh

Default Re: Detects single-link

You're asking me if I'm aware that dual link makes use of an additional 6 pins in the cable? Yes, I am aware.

Also, I'm not trying to PROVE anything to YOU, or for that matter ANYONE ELSE.

What I'm suggesting is that either there is ANOTHER BUG NOW, or that there is a DEFECT in the card causing it to be INCORRECTLY IDENTIFIED as single link (which could be handled by FORCING it to dual link).

I'm not new at this, and I find your attitude to show VERY POORLY on you. I would appreciate it if you would stop interfering in this thread.
blargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-06, 10:52 AM   #15
blargh

BTW: Post #6 is a response to netllama, NOT YOU.
Old 10-02-06, 11:35 AM   #16
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

blargh,
I'm afraid I don't understand your question in post #6. You're asking me how to reproduce your reported bug?

I'm still waiting for you to provide the bug report I requested in post #4. Without that, I can't comment further on the behavior you're reporting.

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-06, 11:58 AM   #17
blargh

Sorry, the bug report I posted was from 1.0-9625 with logverbose 6 (I think... This evening I can run through it again just to make sure though). I'm not asking you to reproduce MY bug, I'm asking how *I* can reproduce the bug in the 7xxx series that allowed my DVI to be detected as dual link, since it was under that condition that it actually worked.
Old 10-02-06, 12:06 PM   #18
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

My apologies, you are right the original bug report is what I requested later on. However, in that bug report, the only 1600x1200 mode that is listed in the EDID is a 60Hz mode, not 75Hz:
#######
(--) NVIDIA(0): --- EDID for Sceptre X20G-NAGA II (DFP-1) ---
(--) NVIDIA(0): EDID Version : 1.3
(--) NVIDIA(0): Manufacturer : SPT
(--) NVIDIA(0): Monitor Name : Sceptre X20G-NAGA II
(--) NVIDIA(0): Product ID : 8193
(--) NVIDIA(0): 32-bit Serial Number : 2867
(--) NVIDIA(0): Serial Number String :
(--) NVIDIA(0): Manufacture Date : 2005, week 5
(--) NVIDIA(0): DPMS Capabilities : Standby Suspend Active Off
(--) NVIDIA(0): Prefer first detailed timing : Yes
(--) NVIDIA(0): Supports GTF : No
(--) NVIDIA(0): Maximum Image Size : 410mm x 310mm
(--) NVIDIA(0): Valid HSync Range : 31 kHz - 80 kHz
(--) NVIDIA(0): Valid VRefresh Range : 56 Hz - 65 Hz
(--) NVIDIA(0): EDID maximum pixel clock : 170.0 MHz
(--) NVIDIA(0):
(--) NVIDIA(0): Established Timings:
(--) NVIDIA(0): 640 x 480 @ 60 Hz
(--) NVIDIA(0): 800 x 600 @ 60 Hz
(--) NVIDIA(0): 1024 x 768 @ 60 Hz
(--) NVIDIA(0):
(--) NVIDIA(0): Standard Timings:
(--) NVIDIA(0): 1600 x 1200 @ 60 Hz
(--) NVIDIA(0):
(--) NVIDIA(0): Detailed Timings:
(--) NVIDIA(0): 1280 x 1024 @ 60 Hz
(--) NVIDIA(0): Pixel Clock : 108.00 MHz
(--) NVIDIA(0): HRes, HSyncStart : 1280, 1328
(--) NVIDIA(0): HSyncEnd, HTotal : 1440, 1688
(--) NVIDIA(0): VRes, VSyncStart : 1024, 1025
(--) NVIDIA(0): VSyncEnd, VTotal : 1028, 1068
(--) NVIDIA(0): H/V Polarity : +/+
##########

Additionally, the valid VRefresh Range in the EDID tops out at 65Hz, so according to the EDID, your display isn't even capable of running at 75Hz for any mode.

You're getting 1600x1200@60 for the single link TMDS connected display, due to reduced blanking (which is most likely what made 1600x1200@60 work in earlier drivers):
(II) NVIDIA(0): Validating Mode "1600x1200":
(II) NVIDIA(0): 1600 x 1200 @ 60 Hz
(II) NVIDIA(0): Mode Source: EDID
(II) NVIDIA(0): Pixel Clock : 162.00 MHz
(II) NVIDIA(0): HRes, HSyncStart : 1600, 1664
(II) NVIDIA(0): HSyncEnd, HTotal : 1856, 2160
(II) NVIDIA(0): VRes, VSyncStart : 1200, 1201
(II) NVIDIA(0): VSyncEnd, VTotal : 1204, 1250
(II) NVIDIA(0): H/V Polarity : +/+
(II) NVIDIA(0): Mode is valid.
(II) NVIDIA(0): Reduced Blanking enabled to bring Pixel Clock in range.

If you want to force your hardware to do something that its not capable of, you can use the ModeValidation option with the NoMaxPClkCheck & NoVertRefreshCheck parameters.

However, the issue here is that I don't see anything in your bug report to suggest that your displays can run above a 65Hz refresh rate. 1600x1200@60 is likely the only safe mode you can run on your hardware.

Thanks,
Lonni
Old 10-02-06, 01:51 PM   #19
blargh

I am quite certain that the EDID is reporting incorrect information. In the 7xxx driver, I had to force it to ignore that.

I think whats going on here is that I'm stuck behind TWO firmware bugs - one in the monitor, which causes them to give an incorrect EDID, the second in the video card, which causes it to be detected as single link instead of dual. I presume that what is detected with the card can be overridden, since I have seen both monitors display 75Hz (their menu will show this).

My question now is what does it take to override this? I understand that dual/single link is a function of the chip, rather than the card (whereas the card may or may not implement this feature by making the appropriate connections between the chip and the plug). I also understand that this chip (7800GTX) HAS dual link for both primary and secondary. Is the use of dual link a function of raising the pixel clock? Or is it controlled by some initialization parameter? What I mean by this is will the CHIP's second link on the secondary port be activated by the ModeValidation parameters you specified?
Old 10-02-06, 01:56 PM   #20
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

You cannot force dual link, as that is a function of the hardware you're using. The ModeValidation parameters that I provided will effectively ignore what the hardware is reporting.

Regardless, you haven't provided any information which suggests that this is a driver bug. If you believe its a firmware bug (and you haven't really provided any information to back that up), you should report it to the manufacturer of the hardware.

Thanks,
Lonni

Old 10-02-06, 04:49 PM   #21
Xevious

Quote:
Originally Posted by blargh
You're asking me if I'm aware that dual link makes use of an additional 6 pins in the cable? Yes, I am aware.

Also, I'm not trying to PROVE anything to YOU, or for that matter ANYONE ELSE.

What I'm suggesting is that either there is ANOTHER BUG NOW, or that there is a DEFECT in the card causing it to be INCORRECTLY IDENTIFIED as single link (which could be handled by FORCING it to dual link).

I'm not new at this, and I find your attitude to show VERY POORLY on you. I would appreciate it if you would stop interfering in this thread.
It is not just making use of the additinal 6 pins on the cable, the pixel order and things are sent in are different as well. I am pretty sure that the almost all the 7800 series cards only have one dual link port.

My point was that why are you trying to get it to be detected as dual-link if your monitor doesnt support it? Dual-link wont make a hell off a difference for you. I was just trying to help you out and understand the situation.

I find it really funny that netlama pretty much told you the same damn thing that I was telling you.

I am not the one who started getting the attitude.

You don't have to worry about any more interference with your posts; I will never try to help you again.
Xevious is offline   Reply With Quote