Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-03-06, 09:45 PM   #13
Supercargo

Default Re: Can't output to Sony TV via DVI

lenster,
Thanks for the conf. Unfortunately I was still not able to get the display to come up even after applying the various differences between our configs. Laso, it looks like you aren't running at 1080p which is what I'm trying to do here. Also, the driver rejected 1080i and 1080p as tv formats and defaulted to NTSC-M regardless of what I put there.

Out of curiosity, I did a diff between the Xorg.0.logs (verbosity 6) with the viewsonic connected and the sony connected.

Code:
14c14
< (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Wed Oct  4 09:19:11 2006
---
> (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Wed Oct  4 09:21:20 2006
452c452
< (--) NVIDIA(0): DFP-0: Internal Dual Link TMDS
---
> (--) NVIDIA(0): DFP-0: Internal Single Link TMDS

These were both run with the EXACT SAME Xorg.confs (with EDID disabled). The only difference between the two attempts was which DFP I had connected.

I find it strange that it switched to Dual Link on the viewsonic -- both DFPs are connected using single link cables -- I don't even think the 6150 is dual link capable.

Out of curiosity, I'd like to try to force the driver to use dual link with the Sony...I know this doesn't really make any sense, but its the only thing I have to go on at this point. Is there any way to force the driver to use dual link in xorg.conf?

Adam
Supercargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-06, 01:43 AM   #14
mikkoiv

Have you found any solution to this problem? I have exactly the same issue with the nvidia 6150 and Sony KDS-50A2000.

-Mikko
mikkoiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-06, 09:07 AM   #15
Supercargo

Mikko,
I'm sorry to say that I haven't made any progress on this issue. Someday I might check to see how it behaves on Windows, but for now I just pull my viewsonic LCD out to get the thing up and running and then just hope I don't need to restart X for a while.

I would like there to be a bug report filed against the nVidia driver for this issue, but Lonni seems to have given up on the matter.

I'll post any new developments to this thread.

Adam
Old 12-13-06, 06:49 PM   #16
FunkyELF

Same Problem here...trying to get 1080p working. I got 720p working on my 60A2000 although there seems to be a bunch of overscan. I did this by copying some xorg setting from a wiki post somewhere not even for my TV. I heard the overscan was optical overscan due to the TV.

Anyway, PLEASE be sure to post any results you have on here. I have this bookmarked. I'll be sure to post any results on here too.

~Eric
FunkyELF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-06, 10:52 AM   #17
Supercargo

Well, it looks like a number of people are having this problem as (I would assume) the TV becomes more common.

I intend to post any findings I have to this thread until the problem is resolved.

Eric, could you post the modeline that is working for 720p??

Adam
Old 12-21-06, 11:00 AM   #18
FunkyELF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercargo

Eric, could you post the modeline that is working for 720p??

Adam
Will do as soon as I get home today.

Here is where I got it from...not sure if I modified it though....

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Modeline_Database
Old 12-21-06, 11:04 AM   #19
Supercargo

That is where I got the "working" 1080p modeline. I've been so focussed on 1080p (which is stunning by the way) that I haven't bothered with anything lower.

Also, I just sent an email to nvidia since support through this channel seems to have fallen off. I'll be sure to share any results back here tho.

Adam
Old 12-21-06, 11:32 AM   #20
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

If you're able to get the SONY DFP working after swapping in a different display, what you could do (after the SONY DFP is working to your satisfaction), is run nvidia-settings, and then the X Server Display Configuration section, and click the Detect Displays button. If your SONY is accurately displayed (instead of whatever you plugged in initially) then you can capture its EDID. Next, go to the GPU section, then the DFP section, and click the "Acquire EDID" button, and save the EDID to a file. That EDID can then be used with the CustomEDID option (see the driver README for more details).

However, if the display can't be detected at all, then none of the above will work. You can still attempt to force the driver to use the custom modeline that you believe works by setting the ConnectedMonitor option to DFP, and specifying the modeline you wish to use.

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-06, 03:26 PM   #21
FunkyELF

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
If you're able to get the SONY DFP working after swapping in a different display, what you could do (after the SONY DFP is working to your satisfaction), is run nvidia-settings, and then the X Server Display Configuration section, and click the Detect Displays button. If your SONY is accurately displayed (instead of whatever you plugged in initially) then you can capture its EDID. Next, go to the GPU section, then the DFP section, and click the "Acquire EDID" button, and save the EDID to a file. That EDID can then be used with the CustomEDID option (see the driver README for more details).

However, if the display can't be detected at all, then none of the above will work. You can still attempt to force the driver to use the custom modeline that you believe works by setting the ConnectedMonitor option to DFP, and specifying the modeline you wish to use.

Thanks,
Lonni
Is this something one person could do and post the EDID here on the forum for us all to use or is it unique to the video cart / display so I need to go out and buy another display capable of doing 1080p and swap them around myself?
Old 12-28-06, 10:02 AM   #22
Supercargo

I'm not sure of the answer to your question, but in my case the "other" display is not capable of 1080p, I just force X to come up with it anyway (at this point there's usually a disclaimer that out-of-range signals can damage equipment, but I don't thing that a modern DFP is very susceptible to this).

I haven't gotten a chance to try Lonni's suggestion yet, so I'll let you know how it goes with my setup.

Adam
Old 01-08-07, 07:00 PM   #23
Supercargo

Default Good News and Bad News

Lonni: your approach may have worked if the EDID data from the working display was actually applicable to the Sony DFP, which it wasn't. [Edit: that is, the control panel still thinks the Viewsonic DFP is attached even when I switch to the Sony...]

The good news first:
I finally got this thing working the way it should.

The bad news is that it took more than software to do it.

I bought a device from monoprice called DVI Doctor - Powered EDID Problem Solver.

This thing was very easy to setup. You plug the TV (or monitor) into the device and apply power. It then learns the EDID info from the display. Then you remove power and plug its other port into the computer (it will get power from the computer form this point on). It passes the display data through, but when the computer tries to read EDID data, the device sends what it previously learned from the display right to the computer.

Now the Nvidia driver gets all the correct EDID information and "nvidia-auto-select" generates the correct modeline without any parameters in the Xorg.conf (I'm still hard coding the DPI to 100x100, but that's because of a MythTV requirement).

I've attached a "bug report" showing the working setup. Interestingly, the driver sees the display as "dual link" now...

Now that I've spent $55 on this nifty gizmo, I'm sure the next driver release will fix the problem.

Adam
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report_working.log.gz (27.6 KB, 167 views)

Last edited by Supercargo; 01-09-07 at 09:33 AM.
Old 01-26-07, 11:05 AM   #24
mshepker

Adam...

I was wondering if you were running into overscan issues with your current setup? I am running the exact same mobo / TV that you are running and when I get it into 1080p, I am losing about 25 - 30 pixels on each side. Its not that annoyting when I'm watching TV, but it is a real pain when I'm trying to configure MythTV.

You mentioned in an earlier post that you had an underscan modeline that someone had posted... Can you post that here so I can try it? I really don't want to install Windows and go the Powerstrip route, but that may be my next step.

~Matt
mshepker is offline   Reply With Quote