Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-03-06, 04:24 PM   #1
rnissl

Question Are there any plans to make PureVideo/HD available for Linux drivers?

Hi,

I ask, because a PureVideo capable nVidia card + VDR (see http://www.cadsoft.de/vdr) + vdr-xine + xine (see http://xine.sf.net) would be a superb combination for recording and watching TV.

Would PureVideo be available through libXvMCNVIDIA_dynamic.so.1, which xine already supports?

Bye.
rnissl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-06, 05:17 PM   #2
JonnyJD

Default Re: Are there any plans to make PureVideo/HD available for Linux drivers?

I remembered reading this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp
BETA Drivers (now includes support for PureVideo HD technology)
so see: http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_do...etadriver.html

But I don't know if it is actually implemented in the Linux drivers already.
JonnyJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-06, 03:47 AM   #3
pe1chl

Default Re: Are there any plans to make PureVideo/HD available for Linux drivers?

Indeed that would be very nice...
pe1chl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-06, 04:12 AM   #4
piotrq__

PureVideo™ HD BETA drivers

Windows XP / 2000 /MCE 32-bit
Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition
Windows XP Professional x64 Edition

No Linux there.
piotrq__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-06, 06:57 AM   #5
phelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnissl
Would PureVideo be available through libXvMCNVIDIA_dynamic.so.1, which xine already supports?
How would you define "Purevideo"? Or more precisely, what additional features, that xvmc does not provide, would be acquired? Would advanced deinterlacing be one of them? What else?
phelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-06, 10:42 AM   #6
dinoklein

MPEG4 AVC (H.264) Decoding.
dinoklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-06, 12:43 PM   #7
pe1chl

Well, reading more about it, it turns out that "PureVideo HD" means HD copy protection and requires the entire chain of DRM stuff. So it will probably not be released for Linux.

What would be nice to have is normal PureVideo on Linux. Hardware-accellerated decoding and advanced de-interlacing. Hopefully with limited use of resources like the CPU and the BUS.
Old 10-04-06, 01:22 PM   #8
zbiggy

Full suite of XvMC acceleration: mpeg1,h263,mpeg4 and any kind of deinterlacing.
This is what I'm waiting for. Hope someday these features will appear in Nvidia Linux driver.

Intel has mpeg1 acceleration, Via unichrome has mpeg1 and mpeg4 acceleration so this is possible to do. Video does not look to have high priority on Nvidia driver to do list. First is OpenGL and bugfixing. That is nice and I appreciate Nvidia efforts to have best, bugfree Linux driver, but there are some people here who also watch movies. Mpeg1 acceleration looks not worth implementing, but other manufacturers have it. I usually watch VideoCD movies waiting for compilation or other processing results. Having GPU mpeg1 hardware decoding I could watch movies without freezeing and stuttering.
zbiggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-04-06, 02:06 PM   #9
dinoklein

Supporting DRM is not necessary for decoding purposes, after all the drivers do support MPEG 1 & 2 decoding.

DVDs are MPEG 2, and as we all know DVDs use CSS; however, the content is descrambled, and only then you get the MPEG 2 data which is accelerated by the XvMC library (using nvidia h/w, of course).
Old 10-04-06, 02:37 PM   #10
pe1chl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinoklein
Supporting DRM is not necessary for decoding purposes
But PureVideo HD is all about DRM! Read about it on the nvidia site.
At first I also believed that it would be "Purevideo operating at HD resolution", but it isn't. It is an implementation of video decoding operating on a PC, that conforms to the rights restrictions that the media companies want to implement on HD DVD.
So it requires a videocard with HDCP output and protected encryption hardware.

Probably a Windows-only thing. Of course it is not required for normal HD video decoding and display, for that we would want "PureVideo" (without the HD) on Linux, i.e. an enhancement of the existing XvMC support.
Old 10-04-06, 03:38 PM   #11
dinoklein

I disagree.
From what I understand, HDCP is used on the DVI / HDMI link in order to make sure that you can't just hookup something on the other end, and record the video output, thus bypassing the content protection on the DVD.

Vista will require HDCP support, or it will lower the resolution of the output.

However, before data gets on the DVI / HDMI link it will be decoded, so whether it is done in software, or whether it is done in hardware, it has nothing to do with DRM.

Just think about it -- say I record a video with my camera, and then I encode it with H.264; should the NVidia GPU care whether it is DRMed or not? No, all it needs to care about is that the encoding conforms to the standard in order to decode it.
Needless to say, my video probably won't be hi-def, but it could benefit from hardware decoding.
Old 10-04-06, 04:12 PM   #12
pe1chl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinoklein
I disagree.
Please first read the material on the nvidia site. E.g. http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_pvhd_faq.html