Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-04-06, 04:46 PM   #13
dinoklein

Default Re: Are there any plans to make PureVideo/HD available for Linux drivers?

Check out what HDCP is about -- it has nothing to do with the video decoding process, only with the transfer from the video card to the monitor.

However, based on the FAQ, one could surmise that H.264 support on Linux is not likely.

All this HDCP stuff is really lame, since I already have a CRT monitor that can do 2048x1536, and the GF 6600 hardware is supposedly capable of H.264 decoding; all what's missing is driver support.
dinoklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-06, 03:26 AM   #14
phelin

Default Re: Are there any plans to make PureVideo/HD available for Linux drivers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbiggy
Full suite of XvMC acceleration: mpeg1,h263,mpeg4 and any kind of deinterlacing.
This is what I'm waiting for. Hope someday these features will appear in Nvidia Linux driver.

Intel has mpeg1 acceleration, Via unichrome has mpeg1 and mpeg4 acceleration so this is possible to do...
AFAIK Via has support for h.263 (one form of mpeg4) in the hardware of CN400 chip, but there exists no drivers to support that feature, which has actually also been dropped out of the newer CN700 cip.

But, to list my hopes for what NVIDIA could/should do regarding video playback on Linux, I would appreciate most an mpeg-2 decoding without resolution limitations (is this already possible with xvmc?), advanced deinterlacing (no bobbing!) and high-quality scaling.

The same features for H.264 can wait for a while, because Blu-Ray and HD-DVD playback on Linux will most likely not happen very soon.
phelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-06, 06:05 AM   #15
PenGun

Hi res HDTV mpeg2 works well with xvmc. I can do full HD 1920x1080p with under 40% of one of my Opty 165's cores with xvmc, almost 90% without.

PenGun
PenGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-06, 11:56 AM   #16
pe1chl

Unfortunately, with the typical 1080i material the results are less than pretty.
The more advanced de-interlacing offered with the Windows "PureVideo" product would be nice to have in Linux XvMC.
pe1chl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-06, 02:27 PM   #17
zbiggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinoklein
after all the drivers do support MPEG 1 & 2 decoding.
Nvidia binary driver only supports mpeg-2. Mpeg-1 is not supported. Nvidia documentation say nothing about mpeg-1 decoding and if you query Nvidia xvmc features you will see that only mpeg-2 is supported at 4:2:0 chroma format only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phelin
AFAIK Via has support for h.263 (one form of mpeg4) in the hardware of CN400 chip, but there exists no drivers to support that feature, which has actually also been dropped out of the newer CN700 cip.
Via offers binary driver with h.263 decoding since CLE266. There is also special versions of MPlayer and Xine to support more powerful and advanced decoding at VLD level. Google for VeMP and VeXP

http://sourceforge.net/projects/vemp/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/viaexp/
http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx...0&SubCatID=158

Nvidia has hardware to handle mpeg-1 or mpeg-4 decoding. But hardware without software (driver) is useless.
Via Unichrome integrated graphics chipsets are the most video feature packed chips for Linux because such possibilities are provided by hardware and supported by Via binary driver. The problems are with security holes and requirement to have root privileges to run hardware decoding. Also old driver does not look interesting. However Via shows that this can be done.
Intel driver supports mpeg1 and mpeg2 only but at MC level only at present.

Nvidia supports Mpeg-2 at iDCT and MC levels of acceleration since geforce 4mx. So has experience in supporting XvMC video acceleration in Linux. Is this really so hard to provide the rest of movie formats available in XvMC: mpeg-1,h263,mpeg-4? Nvidia offers mpeg-4 decoding in Windows so the source code only needs to be fine tuned to Linux architecture.

Last edited by zbiggy; 10-05-06 at 02:47 PM.
zbiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-06, 01:39 PM   #18
PenGun

Quote:
Originally Posted by pe1chl
Unfortunately, with the typical 1080i material the results are less than pretty.
The more advanced de-interlacing offered with the Windows "PureVideo" product would be nice to have in Linux XvMC.
The transport streams from PBS via satallite are just awesome actually. My GT 6600 and XvMC are killer on everything I've watched so far.

PenGun
PenGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-06, 10:25 AM   #19
Galactic

I contacted nVidia about this, and they told me to ask the question here, so *bump*.
Galactic is offline   Reply With Quote