Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-05-06, 05:30 AM   #1
msxyz
Hybrid Microprocessor

Default Pay for Madden 07 tutorial videos

Taken from http://www.joystiq.com/

Quote:
Electronic Arts released today a set of video strategy guides for NCAA 07 Football and Madden NFL 07 over Xbox Live. Each five-minute tutorial costs 160 MS points ($2.00) and covers either Running, Passing, Run Defense, or Pass Defense.

While $2.00 is relatively cheap, a tutorial is a feature of the game that should be included when you buy it, especially at $60. On top of that, tutorials (video and otherwise) are available all over the internet for the low, low price of nil (...)

We decided to try one of the videos out, purchasing a Passing strategy guide for Madden NFL 07. The 246.34 MB downloaded provided little that would help our game. The video depicts a series of in-game passes with the occasional overhead view; once or twice arrows and yellow circles were used to highlight a player but it did not complement the announcer. To understand the voice-over commentary, it is assumed that you have a good grasp on formation and position terminology. (...) then again, if you are well-versed in football slang, you will likely learn nothing new anyways.
In defence of EA, I can only say... if people still buy the marketing traps and the shovelware EA sells then they get what they deserve. EA, from a business point of view, is just doing the right thing: milking suckers.
XFX 9600GSO 384MB
Little freak wonder
msxyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-06, 05:51 AM   #2
Lfctony

Default Re: Pay for Madden 07 tutorial videos

To boldly milk how no other company has milked before...
Fafnir: Intel Core 2 Quad 6600@3.2Ghz|eVGA 780i SLI|PNY GTX480 |Kingston DDR667 4096MB|WD Black Caviar 500GB|Seagate SATA 250GB|Seagate SATA 200GB| Seagate SATA 160GB|OptiArc AD-7173S DVDRW|Nec 3351 DVDRW|Creative X-FI XM|LG Flatron W2261V|Logitech X-530|Thermaltake Armor|Amptac 850W SLI PSU|Logitech G9 Mouse|Xigmatek HDT S-1283 CPU Cooler|Windows 7/FW 257.21

PS2 - Wii - Xbox - Xbox360 - PSP - GC - PS3 Owner

Boycott Starforce...

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes?
Lfctony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-06, 06:13 AM   #3
Namrok
Level 42 Conquerer

Send a message via ICQ to Namrok Send a message via AIM to Namrok

Man, I've had a hatred of EA for so long now, and everything they do just affirms it. I haven't bought a single one of their games since I can't even recall when. Perhaps Dungeon Keeper 2. And I fully plan to keep this up.

My head might explode when Spore comes out. Spore is awesome, but I can't support EA, but Spore is awesome, but--
Namrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-06, 09:03 AM   #4
LycosV

This is just an extension of strategy guides. Every game company (not just EA) lately has made it their mission to not give you a good manual, but instead put all the really important information in a strategy guide that they sell seperate from the game. It drives me freakin' nuts!
LycosV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-06, 09:16 AM   #5
ENU291
Die spammer!! DIE!!!

Send a message via AIM to ENU291 Send a message via Yahoo to ENU291

We are all witnessing the evolution of the Xbox Live Market Place.
EVGA 8800GTX; Asus MSN-SLI Deluxe mobo; Athlon X2 5200+(225X13/2.93GHZ); Corsair XMS TWIN2X (1024X4); WD Raptor 150GB HD; MAXTOR 500GB HD; CL X-Fi XtremeGamer; Xbox360 HD-DVD; Plextor 18X DVD-RW/+RW; Dell 2707WFP

Registered Linux User # 444118 Xbox360 GamerTag: StryderXx PSN ID: StryderXx

Quote:
Originally Posted by nVJoe
Gamers are the most unhappy and miserable consumer group I know of. Just sit back, relax and have fun.
ENU291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-06, 09:23 AM   #6
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENU291
We are all witnessing the evolution of the Xbox Live Market Place.
For better or worse, this is indeed the case.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-06, 11:15 AM   #7
Connaught

Wonder if these videos will be anything like the videos in Smack down vs RAW
demo...those were useful...but no worth paying for...
Connaught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-06, 12:20 PM   #8
Zelda_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lfctony
To boldly milk how no other company has milked before...
QFT
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-05-06, 02:57 PM   #9
brady
I'm like everyone else.

Wow. I think EA should just start building game engine code only. Then you go home put your "engine code" dvd into your xbox or playstation and then you have the option of buying assets for the engine you bought. If you buy enough assets you could then play a game. I figure they could sell the engine code dvd for $50 (a little less then a full game of course) and then each asset (gun, box, player model, ect...) would be $2.00 and game levels would be $10.00. Of course to add the online code to your engine and assets would cost an additional $15.00 a month.

I'll bet they could rake it that way. Maybe I'll send my idea to them and see what they think...

Edit: Oh yeah I forgot to mention that game assets don't come textured. Textures cost extra. Probably something like $0.25 for every 1000 pixels, you know cuz some textures are bigger then others.

C2D @ 3.0GHz | GA-P35-DS3L | 4GB DDR2 | HIS AMD 6990 4GB | OS X Lion 10.7 | Windows 7 Ultimate x64
brady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-06, 06:17 PM   #10
hordaktheman
Hans... boobie...

I've always felt that the ultimate low is when a celebrity charges his fans for an autograph.

EA just reached that low.

-Aristotle
hordaktheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-06, 06:43 PM   #11
LycosV

Quote:
Originally Posted by brady
Wow. I think EA should just start building game engine code only. Then you go home put your "engine code" dvd into your xbox or playstation and then you have the option of buying assets for the engine you bought. If you buy enough assets you could then play a game. I figure they could sell the engine code dvd for $50 (a little less then a full game of course) and then each asset (gun, box, player model, ect...) would be $2.00 and game levels would be $10.00. Of course to add the online code to your engine and assets would cost an additional $15.00 a month.

I'll bet they could rake it that way. Maybe I'll send my idea to them and see what they think...

Edit: Oh yeah I forgot to mention that game assets don't come textured. Textures cost extra. Probably something like $0.25 for every 1000 pixels, you know cuz some textures are bigger then others.
Wait, I thought that's what steam was?
LycosV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-06, 10:25 PM   #12
Zelda_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hordaktheman
I've always felt that the ultimate low is when a celebrity charges his fans for an autograph.

EA just reached that low.
I have NEVER heard of a celebrity doing that.
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote