Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-05-06, 08:52 AM   #1
Pellaeon

Default nVidia GeForce 8800 GTX/GTS - Proximity of Linux driver release to hardware release?

Hi,

today, first details of the new GeForce 8800 GTX/GTS products were released to the public, including the plans for a hard launch in the second week of November. DailyTech has the scoop: http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=4441

As I'm aiming to build a new Core 2-based box towards the end of the year and don't want to buy a last-gen graphics card, I've been looking forward to the GeForce 8 announcement.

Now, my question to nVidia is: In what proximity to the hardware release can we expect to see a Linux driver release for the new cards? Launch day? Two weeks later? Two months later?
Pellaeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-06, 01:33 PM   #2
Robster

Default Re: nVidia GeForce 8800 GTX/GTS - Proximity of Linux driver release to hardware relea

Maybe this topic was a bit premature when it was first posted, but now the launch of the 8800GTX/GTS is nearly upon us. Could we have some details about Linux driver support?

For a start, will any of the current drivers work at all with the new cards? It seems unlikely, given the significant changes in the cards.

I know that asking how long it will be till a future release is never successful around here, but will the next driver release fully support these cards?

I'm definitely in the market for one of these, but I'll be waiting for definite driver support before I take the plunge.
Robster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-06, 02:28 PM   #3
Ikshaar

Default Re: nVidia GeForce 8800 GTX/GTS - Proximity of Linux driver release to hardware relea

Well 9629 does not (not listed... not a real try).... and I am not very optimistic on a new driver anytime soon for linux....
Ikshaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-06, 02:56 PM   #4
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: nVidia GeForce 8800 GTX/GTS - Proximity of Linux driver release to hardware release?

A driver that supports G80 based graphics cards will be released once G80 based graphics cards are available.
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-06, 11:21 PM   #5
Pellaeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
A driver that supports G80 based graphics cards will be released once G80 based graphics cards are available.
Lonni, I don't want to knock you (you know we love you for your brilliant Linux support), but that's really not saying much - I mean, it's not like we expect you to release it before the cards are available, or after they're no longer available .

The real question is proximity. Will the first 9xxx non-beta driver that's presumably up for release next support G80? Or will it be a later release? Will we get a G80 driver this year?
Old 11-07-06, 11:36 PM   #6
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: nVidia GeForce 8800 GTX/GTS - Proximity of Linux driver release to hardware release?

Yes, you'll get a G80 driver this year. I'm afraid that I can't be more specific than that right now.

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-06, 01:47 AM   #7
Pellaeon

Awesome. Thank you a lot!
Old 11-08-06, 01:50 AM   #8
Robster

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
Yes, you'll get a G80 driver this year. I'm afraid that I can't be more specific than that right now.

Thanks,
Lonni
We know you can't be specific Lonni, but thanks heaps for the reply you've given. I think I'll just have to subdue my impulsive nature until after Christmas, the prices should come down a little by then anyway
Robster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-06, 02:14 AM   #9
Pellaeon

I'm hoping that this won't cross a line given that the NDA is still in effect, but somebody appears to have ignored it and posted a review online. I won't link to it, but it contained one interesting tidbit of information (aside from the stellar performance of the card, that is), namely the version number of the driver used: 96.89. While the version numbers of the Windows and Linux drivers don't exactly correlate, the fact that the Windows G80 driver doesn't jump beyond the 9xxx range, and that we've got a 96xx Linux beta driver at this time, this seems like good news.
Old 11-08-06, 07:19 AM   #10
twljagflba

Quote:
NVIDIA will be delivering new display drivers this morning for GNU/Linux users that support the GeForce 8800GTX and 8800GTS. These drivers will be available through nZone, so they will likely be a Beta candidate and not an official release. We have not had the time yet to try out these new GNU/Linux display drivers, however, head on over to the Phoronix Forums where you can share your thoughts or seek assistance. As we were only told by NVIDIA on the night of November 6 that there would be same-day GNU/Linux display drivers (the GeForce 7900 cards weren't supported by the Linux drivers for a month; see here), we have not yet benchmarked these new GeForce 8 GPUs.
http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=7787
twljagflba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-06, 02:15 PM   #11
Dragoran

http://www.phoronix.com/?page=news_item&px=MzM1Mw
Dragoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-06, 03:26 PM   #12
Ikshaar

Released...

http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_do...etadriver.html
Ikshaar is offline   Reply With Quote