Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-06-06, 04:42 PM   #1
lloeki
Arch Linux

Default 9625 black screen variant

since recently, I have a dell xps m1210 with a geforce go 7400.
I installed gentoo on it, and went for the 8774 driver, which exhibited some texture corruption (google earth, wine/cedega). so I quickly upgraded to 9625 (the masked ebuild with i2c patch) and was really relieved as it fixed this corruption. great work

BUT! after a few days, I then noticed that once in a while, X would not start correctly, resulting in a (weird) black screen. weird because, the X cursor shows and is responsive, but everything else is pitch black, where I should see kdm and the background. still, both the mouse and keyboard are responsive, and I can login blindfolded: typing username and password blindly, I can identify things being started by disk activity. switching vt brings only blackness, with responsive keyboard: I can login to vt, login, and do stuff I will notice later on after correct reboot (like echo foo > bar). switching back to vt7 freezes things. killing (ctrl alt backspace) or restarting (/etc/init.d/xdm restart) X too.

things to note:
- i2c patch is applied by ebuild
- eeprom module is not built, thus not loaded
- having vesafb/vesafb-tng/no framebuffer yields identical results. when I use some fbsplash theme and the bug occurs, it sometimes results in a striped screen, with colors of the theme. it's like a small image being read as a bigger one: say a 500x500px image is read as a 800x800px one, first line of the real image will be first part of the first row of the displayed one, second line will be partly on the end of the first row and partly one the beginning of the second, and so on, resulting in some diagonally inintelligible striped image.
- reverting to prevoius driver yields same results. the issue being random, I did not have it before long enough to tell if it worked in the first place.
- it happens with xdm as well as startx
- it happens at first run, or never
- maybe linked, suspend2 stopped working, when it was before.

attached two reports, first one when black screen bug happened, second one when it works. due to the randomness, I couldn't have a more verbose log.

ask for more details, and I'll gladly provide.

thanks for help in advance.
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report_1.log (63.6 KB, 135 views)
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report_3.log (70.5 KB, 129 views)
lloeki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-06, 05:39 PM   #2
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: 9625 black screen variant

I've reproduced this problem, and opened bug 258978.

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-06, 05:41 PM   #3
lloeki
Arch Linux

wow, thanks again. now that's responsive support. I'm so glad I just switched switch from ati, where support answer was just like "hey, buzz off", even with fully detailed bug reports...

I'll open another topic later on detailing my suspend2 issue, unless you confirmed it already.
Old 10-17-06, 04:44 PM   #4
lloeki
Arch Linux

what is the status of the issue? I can live with suspend2 not working, but the issue is really getting on my nerves: each reboot has a 50% chance of having hte bug happening, which, since I have to reboot when it happens, make it happen 2 times out of 3...

for now I'm running nv driver but that's not much of a solution since I'm supposed to heavily use opengl. at least having some workaround would be helpful.
Old 10-17-06, 05:11 PM   #5
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

This bug will be resolved in the next driver release.

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-06, 02:58 AM   #6
lloeki
Arch Linux

great news, thanks a lot.