Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-20-03, 03:36 AM   #1
moksha

Default Overlay and blitter

I've been running the 1.0-4191 driver on a Debian sid laptop for a few weeks with excellent results, on the 2.4.20 kernel and XFree86 4.2.1.1.

I would run with just the built-in monitor or with an external one dynamically detected, in clone mode, without defining anything in XF86Config-4 other than a modeline for each of the two monitors.

Then I discovered TwinView and set up spanning mode, which is also working great (though I have a minor question, see below).

Then an odd thing happened: I lost Xvideo in single mode. That is, I can still play and edit movies with xv when I'm using two monitors, but it fails when I'm just using the laptop built-in screen.

The failure doesn't appear in the /var/log/XFree86 logs and there are no error messages. I just don't have xv. There's a black screen that reveals a blue background when moved in the place where the video footage should be. x11 still works.

When I run xvinfo with an external monitor attached, whether in the default clone mode or in twinview, I get this:

X-Video Extension version 2.2
screen #0
Adaptor #0: "NV05 Video Blitter"
number of ports: 32
port base: 103
operations supported: PutImage

- and so on, all nice and tidy, and everything is working -- xine will tell me I'm using the Blitter.

Then I power down the laptop, unplug the external monitor, and restart. I use an XF86Config-4 file that used to give me great XV in single-view as well as clone mode. When I run xvinfo I get this:

X-Video Extension version 2.2
screen #0
Adaptor #0: "NV17 Video Overlay"
number of ports: 1
port base: 103

and then further down:

Adaptor #1: "NV05 Video Blitter"
number of ports: 32
port base: 104

-- looks good, but NV17 Video Overlay is not in fact working, and NV05 Video Blitter is not being accessed.

Is this a known bug, and is there a workaround? I've reinstalled XFree86 and the driver itself to no effect.

This is a vpr matrix 200a5 with a GeForce4 420 Go M32 chipset and ALi Corporation M1671 Super P4 Northbridge [AGP4X,PCI and SDR/DDR]. In the XFree86 log I get

AGP 4X successfully initialized
Using the NVIDIA 2D acceleration architecture

When I run glxinfo, I get "direct rendering: Yes."

Now bear in mind that the weird thing is that I'm running x-windows with exactly the same configuration file and driver as before, but the Video Overlay no longer works. Could this be a hardware problem?

Here are my questions:

1. How can I get Video Overlay / xv to work again?
2. How can I submit bug reports to nVidia?

Finally, I have a question about twinview. I have the external monitor located above my laptop screen.
If I say "Above", the main part of the window with all the icons ends up in the external monitor.
If I say "Below", the icons stay below, but the external monitor is mapped below the laptop.
If I say "LeftOf", the screens look right, but the external monitor is mapped to the right of the laptop.
How can I map the external monitor above the laptop, but keep the icons on the laptop screen?

Appreciate your help with this.

Cheers,
Moksha

Last edited by moksha; 02-20-03 at 04:07 AM.
moksha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-03, 03:05 AM   #2
moksha

Default Problem sort of resolved

Just for the record: the problem was triggered by some setting in .xine -- I haven't narrowed it down to exactly which setting.

The setting has the effect of making XV stop working, without any error messages.

After having been triggered once, xv becomes inoperable for good -- no other programs or users will be able to use xv until you reboot.

I simply deleted ~/.xine and this removed the problem. Of course the bug is still there.

Cheers,
moksha
moksha is offline   Reply With Quote