Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-08-06, 07:22 PM   #1
Marvel_us
FOOL!

Default Xbox360 HD-DVD Interview

Gah, not too sure how to link Gametrailer's websites....they always redirect to homepage. Anyway you should see it on the recent list, just scroll down a bit.

EDIT: http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?id=1589

60gb PS3 Owner
PSNid: Marvel_us

Last edited by Marvel_us; 10-08-06 at 07:54 PM.
Marvel_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-06, 07:40 PM   #2
AthlonXP1800

Default Re: Xbox360 HD-DVD Interview

Hmmm link not working.
Intel Core i7 3770K, Corsair H80 liquid cooler with Noctua S12-1200 fan, ASUS P8Z77V with UEFI 2104, 16GB Samsung Green 30nm DDR3-RAM, Pioneer BDR-S09XLT 16x Blu-ray writer, Corsair AX850 PSU, Western Digital 2TB SATA3 hard drive, CanonScan LiDE 210 scanner, Microsoft Internet Keyboard, Microsoft Touch Explorer mouse, 32inch Sharp LC32LE600 LED TV, EVGA Geforce GTX 670 SC 4GB with Geforce 370.50 driver, 50Mb broadband Virgin Media VMDG480 Super Hub, Aspire Xplorer Midi Tower, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit.
AthlonXP1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-06, 07:55 PM   #3
Marvel_us
FOOL!

Try that one, but you have to scroll down to the interview section. HD-DVD will be the first one under that section.

60gb PS3 Owner
Old 10-08-06, 10:00 PM   #4
XxDeadlyxX
STALKER!!!!!!!!

This looks great, damn getting a Dell 2407FPW plus the 360 HD-DVD and running over VGA will be awesome. I am in conflict over whether to get this combo as a Christmas upgrade or to get an 8800GTX instead

Also I'm sure MS will come up with something regarding the problem of storage space on regular DVDs.
Main PC [Core i7 980X @ 4.3GHz] [Gigabyte X58A-UD7] [7TB of HDDs] [2x Inno3D GTX 480 SLI @ stock] [12GB Team Xtreem 7-7-7-24 @ 1500mhz] [Antec 1200] [Alienware AW2310 (general use/3D Vision) and Samsung 46B650 @ 1080p24] [X-Fi Forte] [Pioneer Blu-ray BDC-S02] [Silverstone Strider 1500W] [Creative Gigaworks S750 7.1] [Windows 7 x64] 3DMark Vantage - 38010
XxDeadlyxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-06, 04:45 AM   #5
msxyz
Hybrid Microprocessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxDeadlyxX
Also I'm sure MS will come up with something regarding the problem of storage space on regular DVDs.
All Microsoft can do is hoping to improve compression of videos and graphic assets.

Microsoft is already working on improving the existing codecs and compression tools to allow HD streams at 9-12Mbit/sec with little loss of quality. Most of the work is finalized to allow smaller VC-1 streams for more efficient space utilization on DVD/HD-DVD

Next come the textures. The Xbox uses the same S3TC/DXT compression algorithm which has become a standard in the industry (every PC card supports it as well as console GPUs like Nintendo Flipper, NV2A and probably RSX too).

A software firm has recently claimed to have developed an improved compression alorithm which should cut memory usage down to one third. It remains to be seen if this algorithm can be implemented in software running on existing hardware without sacrificing performance.
XFX 9600GSO 384MB
Little freak wonder
msxyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-06, 09:58 AM   #6
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

HD-DVDs look great, but does anyone else think that this whole new DVD format era seem like a big scam? I don't think that it's really worth $200+ for a 360 player and $20+ on every DVD. If I had the $$$, then yes, I would be going HD-DVD in a heartbeat but I don't. Also, there are those "Blu-Ray Exclusive" titles that you can't get on HD-DVD. Now that sucks.

Maybe down the road when the whole format war future is a little more clear, then I might pick up that add-on drive.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-06, 11:30 AM   #7
LiquidX
xxxxxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm
HD-DVDs look great, but does anyone else think that this whole new DVD format era seem like a big scam? I don't think that it's really worth $200+ for a 360 player and $20+ on every DVD. If I had the $$$, then yes, I would be going HD-DVD in a heartbeat but I don't. Also, there are those "Blu-Ray Exclusive" titles that you can't get on HD-DVD. Now that sucks.

Maybe down the road when the whole format war future is a little more clear, then I might pick up that add-on drive.
For movies it is a great thing but for games I think there pushing it more than its worth. Greater compression should really be the future because even Sony has talked of a diskless future but how is that possibile with 30GB games? I cant see many having the speed or time to download that much data even in 5 years time. Just take a look at XBox Live and how downloading games and demos have become a big part of the system if not the norm. Both Sony and Nintendo are copying this so that should be a sign that the future is compressing not bigger disk sizes. Can you imagine if PC games started to hit 30GB?
LiquidX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-06, 11:34 AM   #8
evilchris

Quote:

Not a scam at all. Side by side DVD to HD-DVD sometime on a 50" screen. No comparison.

Old 10-09-06, 02:07 PM   #9
Peoples-Agent
Vape Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilchris
Not a scam at all. Side by side DVD to HD-DVD sometime on a 50" screen. No comparison.
Yeah, that's when it shows... if you have a screen 40" plus, then it's what owners of these sets have been screaming out for.

Regular DVD is a proper bottleneck on these things.
Flesh of her flesh they were, spirit of her spirit,
Fallen in the cause of the free.
Peoples-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-06, 02:47 PM   #10
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilchris
I definitly agree with what you're saying, however, is it worth that extra money for that much of a visual upgrade? Yeah it looks good but I'm still not sold on it. Maybe when HD-DVDs drop in price and more titles come to the platform, then I'll look into it.

I really wish that this whole format wars thing wouldn't seperate specific titles . . . I really wanted movies like Underworld, Click and others to be released on HD-DVD too . . .
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-06, 03:57 PM   #11
evilchris

Quote:
I definitly agree with what you're saying, however, is it worth that extra money for that much of a visual upgrade? Yeah it looks good but I'm still not sold on it. Maybe when HD-DVDs drop in price and more titles come to the platform, then I'll look into it.

I really wish that this whole format wars thing wouldn't seperate specific titles . . . I really wanted movies like Underworld, Click and others to be released on HD-DVD too . . .
It is like night and day. "that much" is over 4x the resolution of DVD.
Old 10-09-06, 05:21 PM   #12
Marvel_us
FOOL!

Quote:

Aren't some companies working on Hybrid Players. One player that can play HD-DVD and Blu-Ray. That seems like an option but the price may be pretty damn high on those.

60gb PS3 Owner