Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-11-06, 06:35 PM   #25
fhj52

Default Re: X Not starting with Device Driver "nvidia"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiViper
I frankly don't know anything about ACPI. If there is a setting in my BIOS I will find it and detail it here. I will do the dmesg and post that here as well. Where can I find the updates for x11? If that is something I can get through YOU I would like that but for somereason I can't seem to get online updates unless I add my own repositories. I tried setting up online update configuration but it took so long and I had to go to work. I left it running so when I get home I'll look at that. I went to opensuse and added some repositories but none of them have the new kernel on it. So we'll see about that. Is the ACPI settings in my xorg.conf file? Thanks guys.
I don't know where you are but from openSUSE website there are mirrors to use for updates. Here's a couple:
http://ftp.ale.org/pub/suse/update/10.1
http://suse.mirrors.tds.net/pub/suse/update/10.1
The openSUSE ftp site is DEAD SLOW here ... might be okay if you are in Germany; dunno. Sounds like you have same problem and when you get back from work it will be in same state.
Use a mirror or two(better).

Other options:
On the CLI
rug sl
lists all the services. If it complains that ZMD is not running, just type
zmd
on the CLI to start it. Then you can use rug. The ''rug'' is just the CLI for zmd (the zen-updater) ... read man rug.
You can also get updates via the zen-updater; it's in menu:
System/configuration/Update Software(zen-updater)
... YMMV.

ACPI is about power management. APM is another. One of them, but not both, should be running on your system.
ACPI has nothing to do with xorg.conf; Lonnie was just giving some (good) free advice, in general.
APM is not SMP safe meaning that if you have dual core and run SMP kernel, you should not run APM. ACPI is good if the tables are okay.

AND you can post dmesg if you want but iaintagointhere ... _you_ can read it for info on ACPI and whether it s/b on or not.

---------------------------------
System: BFG GTX260^2 graphics but has ** TERRIBLE BLINKING OS **
SuperMicro H8DCi+AMI BIOS;dual Opt'285;8GB;LSI 320-2x w/ 6xU320 Fuji' MAXs in RAID 10; 4xSATAII on LSI 3041E for backup. Multi-boot Mandriva Linux, openSUSE, WinXPx64 & Win2k-AS; Creative Audigy2-Digital audio.
Gigabyte GA-2CEWH & NVRAID are GONE ... Finally!!
fhj52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-06, 06:43 PM   #26
fhj52

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
I don't believe anyone stated that 1.0-9625 was a release candidate. Its a beta driver, as stated on the website.

Thanks,
Lonni
Indirectly nVidia is stating that it is not only not a beta or a RC but is the latest released driver:

Quote:
--update
Connect to the NVIDIA FTP server ' ftp://download.nvidia.com ' and determine the latest available driver version.
If there is a more recent driver available, automatically download and install it. Any other options given on the commandline will be passed on to the downloaded driver package when installing it.
THAT implies _RELEASED_ version not beta or RC.

SuperMicro H8DCi+AMI BIOS;dual Opt'285;8GB;LSI 320-2x w/ 6xU320 Fuji' MAXs in RAID 10; 4xSATAII on LSI 3041E for backup. Multi-boot Mandriva Linux, openSUSE, WinXPx64 & Win2k-AS; Creative Audigy2-Digital audio.
Old 10-11-06, 06:45 PM   #27
GeminiViper

Send a message via MSN to GeminiViper Send a message via Yahoo to GeminiViper

Okay. Cool. Thanks. So I had a 32bit system running just fine with these drivers and running compiz. Everything was great. My mobo crashed and burned on me so I replaced it with a new one and upgraded my processor while I was at it. I went up to an AMD Athlon64. So I initially did not have the 64 version of SuSE 10.1 so I installed the i386. I later got the 64 version and tried it as well as kUbuntu and Fedora Core 6PRE and Core 5 but had this same issue. Is it possible then this might be more directly related to a kernel issue? Or would it be more likely this is a hardware issue?
GeminiViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-06, 07:39 PM   #28
fhj52

@GeminiViper:
Well, i do not know which is more likely. I ran compiz here with openSUSE a while back and, although I was underimpressed, it ran. The 8774 seems to be good; 9625-BETA is not(here).

The OS needs to be updated regardless for security patches, at a minimum.
So, Please update the openSUSE ( for at least the linux kernel and Xorg ) & then report results from(on cli):
Code:
uname -srv
Code:
rpm -q --whatprovides `locate bin/X`
( those are backquotes; - if locate is not installed, get it ... )
Code:
lspci
Code:
hwinfo --gfxcard

OR in a bash shell you can, if you want, just run them altogether:
Code:
uname -srv;echo;rpm -q --whatprovides `locate bin/X`;echo;lspci;echo;hwinfo --gfxcard
The current xorg.conf file(after updates are complete) as a text file. (at least the devices & server sections ... )
---
If you have trouble locating 'locate', , just
Code:
rpm -q --whatprovides /usr/X11R6/bin/X
will suffice.

Are you running xgl and compiz? There was some mention of that ...
The nvidia BETA driver 9625 is reported as the only nvidia driver capable of fully implementing the compiz functions. Others work but do not fully implement all functions. There's info here:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=77030

You are going to have to make a choice to compiz or not. I suggest not to start with and use the 8774 drivers. After all runs a-ok, then try compiz and the 9625-BETA. Fair warning that many people get a blank screen with the 9625 BETA driver and I have not (yet) seen a fixed system when that happens(one has to back out to 8774).

Last edited by fhj52; 10-11-06 at 08:01 PM.
Old 10-11-06, 08:22 PM   #29
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

The only known bug that would produce no display in 1.0-9625 is fixed with this patch/workaround:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...3&postcount=20

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-06, 08:31 PM   #30
fhj52

Quote:
The only known bug that would produce no display in 1.0-9625 is fixed with this patch/workaround:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...3&postcount=20

Thanks,
Lonni
I thought you had quit for the day ...
The posts I saw here never had a resolution, literally, , by using that work-around. Perhaps I missed one...?
BUT that does not help
nvidia-installer -a --update
does it?

EDIT:
Oh I see why:
Quote:
To apply this patch, you will need to extract the 1.0-9625 driver:
# ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-9625-pkg1.run -x

then it can be patched:
# cd NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-9625-pkg1/
...guess that patch is old. Is it still applicable to *pkg2.run?

EDIT: YES it is. And it fixed the problem here.
THIS really PMO. I lost a half a day because of irresponsible people who allow a BETA driver to be provided with a known breakage in it via the nvidia-installer --update.

Last edited by fhj52; 10-11-06 at 09:13 PM.
Old 10-11-06, 08:37 PM   #31
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

1.0-9625 is released, and isn't going to be changed. The patch is needed for anyone running into this problem with 1.0-9625. The next released driver will include this fix.

Thanks,
Lonni
Old 10-11-06, 08:52 PM   #32
fhj52

Quote:
1.0-9625 is released, and isn't going to be changed. The patch is needed for anyone running into this problem with 1.0-9625. The next released driver will include this fix.

Thanks,
Lonni
How can you say it is released? It is a BETA!
http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html has the *released* versions:

Quote:
Unix Drivers

Graphics Drivers

Linux IA32
Latest Version: 1.0-8774
Latest Legacy GPU version: 1.0-7184
Archive

Linux IA64
Latest Version: 1.0-5336
Archive

Linux AMD64/EM64T
Latest Legacy GPU Version: 1.0-7184
Archive

FreeBSD x86
Latest Legacy GPU Version: 1.0-7184
Archive

Solaris x64/x86
Archive
my head is spinning on axis...
Okay, ... 'nuf of this in this thread.

Old 10-11-06, 09:07 PM   #33
davidl

Quote:

Thanks,
Lonni
I'm having the exact same problem as reported by GeminiViper, but I opted to use the YaST-based installation as described here:

http://www.suse.de/~sndirsch/nvidia-...r-HOWTO.html#4

My question is why is it that only 8762 is available from download.nvidia.com/novell? I thought that maybe 8762 couldn't deal with my 7900 GS, but 8774 has never appeared, much less 9625. Guys, what are we really supposed to use and how? I definitely don't want to get caught in the trap of recompiling/reinstalling every time they rev the kernel, either.

My card is based on a 7900 GS running on an Abit AN9 32X under SLED 10 (x64/smp) with an AMD X2 3800+. The identical problem occured previously under the 32-bit smp kernel (and by inference, the 32-bit NVIDIA driver). I also tried to install under the 32-bit kernel with SMP disabled - same result.

Please note that under SUSE Linux 10.1, 8762 loads and works great (with compiz) on an old single-processor Athlon Thunderbird with a 5900 XT card. I've never tried 8774 because it's never been offered via YaST.

Thanks,
Dave
davidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-06, 09:16 PM   #34
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Novell/SuSE build & provide the drivers that are hosted at download.nvidia.com/novell

If you're experiencing a problem which reproduces in 1.0-9625, please generate and provide an nvidia-bug-report.log.

Thanks,
Lonni
Old 10-12-06, 04:59 PM   #35
davidl

Quote:
Novell/SuSE build & provide the drivers that are hosted at download.nvidia.com/novell
That's pretty funny because Novell claims NVIDIA builds the drivers in .../novell.

A related question would be why is the 7900 GS (PCI 0x0292) still not listed as supported even in 9625? Since nobody knows who actually builds the drivers, do we have to wait for Easter-Bunny-built 2.0-666 to have 7900 GS support in the Linux driver?

Thanks,
Dave
davidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-06, 05:04 PM   #36
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

I should clarify that Novell repackages the drivers from the official NVIDIA driver packages.

The 7900 GS is fully supported in 1.0-8774 & 1.0-9625.

Thanks,
Lonni