Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-13-06, 01:42 PM   #49
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: X Not starting with Device Driver "nvidia"

The ability to install the driver only requires a supported NVIDIA graphics card.

At this point, its not at all clear why the driver isn't working properly on your system. Your last bug report had X crashing due to unresolved symbols in the glx module. That suggests some kind of software problem.

-Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-06, 11:36 PM   #50
fhj52

I am going to make a suggestion or two... three.
(1)
(a)modify the xorg.conf file to remove the load ''i2c''
(b)modify the xorg.conf file to ADD the BusID of the slot that contains the gfx card.(''
Code:
hwinfo --gfxcard|grep -i busid
'' will get that address; can get it with
Code:
lspci
or
Code:
lspci -vv
also)
It will look SIMILAR to:
Section "Device"
BoardName "GeForce Card Name"
BusID "01:00:0"
Driver "nvidia"
...blah
(2) build the 9625 driver AFTER fixing it with the ''blank screen'' patch.
And even if that works,
(3) Go to mandriva.com/downloads and get Mandriva 2007. It was just released last week and has XGL, compiz, Xorg 7.1 ... blah and is perfect for those learning *nix and computers. They probably also have the best HW support built into their installer ... general reports on this latest Mandrake release are very good.
( AND, they don't do * stuff like making maintenance and repair ten times harder than it has to be the way that *buntu does .... )
GL!
....;

edit: busid is BusID "01:00:0" here ...

---------------------------------
System: BFG GTX260^2 graphics but has ** TERRIBLE BLINKING OS **
SuperMicro H8DCi+AMI BIOS;dual Opt'285;8GB;LSI 320-2x w/ 6xU320 Fuji' MAXs in RAID 10; 4xSATAII on LSI 3041E for backup. Multi-boot Mandriva Linux, openSUSE, WinXPx64 & Win2k-AS; Creative Audigy2-Digital audio.
Gigabyte GA-2CEWH & NVRAID are GONE ... Finally!!

Last edited by fhj52; 10-18-06 at 03:04 AM.
fhj52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-06, 10:38 AM   #51
GeminiViper

Send a message via MSN to GeminiViper Send a message via Yahoo to GeminiViper

Okay. So I installed Mandriva 2007 Free. Now I can't install my kernel source. What's up with that? It isn't on the list of software I can install. Not anywhere and my Automatic Updates is broken. Says there is problems. That I should email my log to Mandriva support but there is nothing on the Log. I don't get that. So how do I get my kernel-source?
GeminiViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-06, 11:22 AM   #52
GeminiViper

I got Mandriva installed... Found the source kernel and installed it... After some headache. Then installed my graphics driver. I experienced the exact same problem with the black screen. So now there are 4 distros giving me the same issues. I have decided that Mandriva had issues with updates and I don't like how their package handler works. I liked Ubuntu but it's a lot of work to get movies and compiz to work on it. SuSE was pretty good and had little problems of which I can't really remember and Fedora worked well too but I was using an unstable version. So I'm going to play around with FC5. I'm going to try some of the suggestions you guys have given me. But I'm getting seriously frustrated with this problem.
Could this problem be due to my Mobo pretending my AGP card is PCI? When I get FC5 up and going I'll try those suggestions and drop you a line. Thanks.
Old 10-16-06, 11:51 AM   #53
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

I don't see anything here to suggest that your "Mobo pretending my AGP card is PCI".

Thanks,
Lonni
Old 10-16-06, 01:58 PM   #54
GeminiViper

When I try to unpack the 9625 driver I type ./NVIDIA-Linux(driver).run -x but it won't unpack. Says Permission denied. I was running it under root. What am I doing wrong?
I tried adding in my BusID but there was no line for i2c when I allowed the driver to configure my xorg.conf file.

Never mind on the unpacking.... I got it unpacked. I'm a newb.... Needed to alter permissions. But when I run ./nvidia-installer -s it just hangs for a bit then goes back to the command line. Is it supposed to do that? After that I just ran the installer (without -s). Still no go.
I try to run the bug report and I get this.

zero:/home/zero # nvidia-bug-report.sh
bash: /usr/bin/nvidia-bug-report.sh: cannot execute binary file

What's that about? I ran it earlier same way, no problems.

Last edited by GeminiViper; 10-16-06 at 02:20 PM.
Old 10-16-06, 02:32 PM   #55
GeminiViper

Okay... Got the bug report with the 9625 driver with the Black Screen Patch. Here it is.

So what is going wrong now?
Attached Files
File Type: bz2 nvidia-bug-report.log.tar.bz2 (23.7 KB, 92 views)
Old 10-16-06, 03:23 PM   #56
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Here's the problem:
(EE) No devices detected.

Your syntax for the BusID parameter doesn't look correct:
BusID "0:05.0"

It should be:
BusID "PCI:0:5:0"

However, you shouldn't even need that parameter if you're only using a single GPU with a single display.

Also, I'd suggest using 1.0-9626 instead of 1.0-9625.

Thanks,
Lonni

Old 10-16-06, 04:16 PM   #57
GeminiViper

link me to 9626 would you? I didn't see it in the beta drivers list.
Old 10-16-06, 05:38 PM   #58
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_d..._1.0-9626.html
Old 10-17-06, 10:48 PM   #59
GeminiViper

Still no go on the 9626. I tried installing it as is. That didn't work so I uninstalled it. Then I patched the installer by extracting it and running the code for the patch. Then I ran ./nvidia-installer -s ... When I do that I get this Warning, your driver has been modified error. It says it will continue to install it as best it can. It kinda hangs there for a bit and then returns to the prompt. So I go look in my xorg.conf file and it doesn't appear to have installed. So I try running ./nvidia-installer without the -s and it goes through the installer process but still no go. Is there ANYTHING I can do? Anything I'm doing wrong? You have mentioned in other poeple's situation that they are having an issue with it loading CRT instead of DFR or something like that. Is that my case? Can you tell based on the above bug report? Or am I just screwed and have to wait till the next official driver release? Thanks guys.
Old 10-18-06, 02:23 AM   #60
fhj52

I thought MDV would be a good distro for you. (easy to use and already has compiz, etc...)
Sorry about the download bug ... figured by this time they would have put up a notice for people to make the required change.(I was not even positive that it was needed for ''Free'' edition...).
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiViper
Still no go on the 9626.
sorry to hear that.
Quote:
I tried installing it as is. That didn't work so I uninstalled it. Then I patched the installer by extracting it and running the code for the patch.
The patch should not be needed BUT apparently it is. ( %$^&O WT heck is up with nividia corp these days ? -releasing a driver known to break systems?!? )
Quote:
Then I ran ./nvidia-installer -s ...
Don't use -s. You/we need to see what is going on.
Quote:
When I do that I get this Warning, your driver has been modified error. It says it will continue to install it as best it can. It kinda hangs there for a bit and then returns to the prompt.
and that is ''silent'' mode.
Quote:
So I go look in my xorg.conf file and it doesn't appear to have installed.
run
lsmod |grep nvidia
and that should tell you if the ''nvidia'' module is loaded. At least this much should show:
Code:
#> lsmod |grep nvidia
nvidia               5672920  22
Quote:
So I try running ./nvidia-installer without the -s and it goes through the installer process but still no go.
So the install went correctly but you still get the black screen. Is that correct?
Quote:
Is there ANYTHING I can do? Anything I'm doing wrong? You have mentioned in other poeple's situation that they are having an issue with it loading CRT instead of DFR or something like that. Is that my case? Can you tell based on the above bug report? Or am I just screwed and have to wait till the next official driver release? Thanks guys.
Well one thing you should do is put your system into your sig. so others can see what the hardware is.
FYI:
CRT==cathode ray tube, better known in computer systems as a VGA monitor
DFP == digital flat panel, better known in computer systems as a LCD monitor

I want to backtrack a bit. IIRC, when using the Xorg driver(nv) the display is good and you have no problems. Is that (still) correct?

Have you set your system BIOS to use only the AGP slot(for video)? There is no reason to have both and that may cause problems.

c-ya

---------------------------------
System: BFG GTX260^2 graphics but has ** TERRIBLE BLINKING OS **
SuperMicro H8DCi+AMI BIOS;dual Opt'285;8GB;LSI 320-2x w/ 6xU320 Fuji' MAXs in RAID 10; 4xSATAII on LSI 3041E for backup. Multi-boot Mandriva Linux, openSUSE, WinXPx64 & Win2k-AS; Creative Audigy2-Digital audio.
Gigabyte GA-2CEWH & NVRAID are GONE ... Finally!!

Last edited by fhj52; 10-18-06 at 03:35 AM.
fhj52 is offline   Reply With Quote