Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Rumor Mill

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-16-02, 08:00 PM   #1
TheTaz

Talking AMD 333MHz and nForce Speculation

With today's newsbit:

Quote:
Thanks to Brad for picking up information from NVIDIA's conference call in regards to AMD processors and the nForce2. The nForce2 will be the first chipset with support for a 333MHz Front Side Bus (FSB) which confirms what has been rumored about AMD releasing 333MHz FSB Athlon processors.
Anybody else see the potential "writing on the wall"?

I have a wild guess going here... I think AMD wants to get out of the chipset business, and concentrate on processors, to keep up with Intel. Other than Dual Processor systems, nobody except OEM's buy AMD Chipsets... and that's for their cheaper motherboards / machines. So I'm thinking... AMD and nVidia are gonna partner up more closely than they already are, for "chipset development"... meaning... in the future (Prolly past the hammer release)... no more AMD chipsets... and nForce chipsets will come out first.... Especially with the number of combinations of features that will be available on the nForce 2... that's the chipset model to follow... many different combinations of features, out of 1 chipset / product!

What do you guys think of my speculation?

Taz
TheTaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-02, 09:00 PM   #2
-=DVS=-
.:. Lafiel .:.

If AMD will release Processors with 333 MHz bus support that would be realy great , hope it will
Old 08-16-02, 09:07 PM   #3
r2d2d3d4d5
Prole

Think Hammer. Think nforce 2. Think sata. Think DDR400. Think nv30. Think no Christmas presents for your friends and family. Oh well
r2d2d3d4d5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-02, 09:59 PM   #4
StealthHawk

AMD never wanted to be in the chipset market to begin with. they only entered it with the Athlon to show people how to make mobos for it. they were surpassed by SiS and VIA within a year or so in terms of features and performance.
Old 08-17-02, 01:58 AM   #5
Pakman

I agree, I don't see AMD staying in the chipset biz.
Old 08-17-02, 12:28 PM   #6
TheTaz

Quote:
Originally posted by StealthHawk
AMD never wanted to be in the chipset market to begin with. they only entered it with the Athlon to show people how to make mobos for it. they were surpassed by SiS and VIA within a year or so in terms of features and performance.
Yeah, I figured as much... AMD's chipset attempts have always seemed half hearted compared to the 3rd party chipsets. I'm not sure if they "Never" wanted to get into it... just never wanted to focus on it. Heck... they even made SCSI chipsets for a while, that I've seen on some older OEM adapter cards... so they branched out a bit... again half-heartedly.

Since AMD said no to 333 MHz FSB, earlier in the year and now have changed their mind... I bet the combination of Intel turning up the heat... and nVidia lighting a fire under AMD, is what changed their mind!

nVidia is far more agressive than AMD. Not saying AMD hasn't been agressive... but I think nVidia has given them a little "push". Hehehehe.

Taz
TheTaz is offline   Reply With Quote