Go Back   nV News Forums > Website Related > Feedback Forum

Newegg Daily Deals

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-03, 05:52 PM   #25
JAV
Frugal 'clocker

I'm a lurker, but I had to respond to this:
Quote:
We have no problem admiting Nvidia latest product wasn't what everyone was hoping for but we all know that, so its time to move on.
No more GFFX discussions? That'd be great! I'll look forward to never seeing another GFFX comment on these boards again. When ya get tired of the Intel vs AMD comments: you can kill all posting of that too. VIA vs nForce too.

Gonna be a ghosttown around here very soon at that rate, IMO.

Quote:
Don't take it personal guys but we're just tired of it
Personal? Nah, it's your site & if y'all get tired of something > kill it ... we 'users' don't need to express our thoughts or opinions here when there are so many other sites that will allow us the freedom to do so & don't kill the threads just cuz they're "tired".

'Nuff said,
Old 02-20-03, 06:11 PM   #26
digitalwanderer

Quote:
Originally posted by JAV
Personal? Nah, it's your site & if y'all get tired of something > kill it ... we 'users' don't need to express our thoughts or opinions here when there are so many other sites that will allow us the freedom to do so & don't kill the threads just cuz they're "tired".

'Nuff said,

That's a good point I hadn't really thought of, they are sort of cutting off their nose to spite their face right now with this kind of defensiveness.

Dang it, that's too bad...I was really starting to like this place and the discussions that got started here.
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
Old 02-20-03, 06:23 PM   #27
LORD-eX-Bu
Horus the pointy master

Yeah, I agree with Jav. This is a privately owned site and forums. If MikeC don't like something for whatever reason, he has all the right to choose what gets discussed or not, seeing how he is the owner. Doesn't make it nice or right, but still, he has the right to do so. Seeing how we are using this for free, I guess we can't complain, we aren't bound here, if someone doesn't like something, they can always take thier presence elsewhere

Last edited by LORD-eX-Bu; 02-20-03 at 06:41 PM.
Old 02-20-03, 06:28 PM   #28
digitalwanderer

I dunno, everyone is allowed to make mistakes...

I think I'll just settle with putting nVnews on probation for now. As long as they behave, I'll continue to grace them with me presence.

But if this sort of thing continues....pagh.
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
Old 02-20-03, 06:31 PM   #29
JAV
Frugal 'clocker

Quote:
they are sort of cutting off their nose to spite their face right now with this kind of defensiveness.
Pattern I've noticed over the years: Discussion board web site opens. Controversial topics bring users. Web site grows. Word of mouth spreads. Web site becomes popular & time consuming to Admin. Admin gets attitude & thins ranks expressing "Our site & if ya don't like it > leave." Ppl do leave > tech, helpful & flamers.

New website opens & we see each other & have our discussions & tech help.

Loop the preceeding over & over.

If the stores I frequent change the products I like > I shop elsewhere.

Too much said
Old 02-20-03, 07:28 PM   #30
Rogozhin

If nvnews didn't want a flaming thread started about this award why the HELL did you post it on the front page!!

If it was sardonic you should have posted at least a grin.

You fellas amaze me

rogo
Old 02-20-03, 07:37 PM   #31
legion88
WhatIfSports.com Junkie

Default Re: I'm displeased and upset with MikeC's behavoir in the Peter Glaskowsky thread.

Quote:
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
Dear nVnews staff:

I did not care for the way that MikeC tried to set opinion by deletion in the thread about the NV30 winning the Microwhatever award of 2002. I felt he was defending a paid flunky of nVidia by trying to stifle his detractors, and when that failed he closed the thread.

I am very disapointed, and I admit it a little angered at this behavoir. Is this going to be typical of nVnews forums in the future?

I felt nVnews was being exceptionally cool by avoiding any of these type of "fanboy" situations with the FX by staying by the facts as they are rather than trying to view them thru (expensive) rosy-colored lenses, MikeC's actions make me question that.

Quite seriously,
John Hayden
aka "digitalwanderer"
Unless NVIDIA owns AMD, he couldn't be a "paid flunky of nVidia".

The Athlon 64 won the 2002 award as well. Who did AMD sell this chip to in 2002 to allow this chip to be considered? Afterall, according to Glaskowsky, the GF FX was already sold to board manufacturers (--NVIDIA's actual customers--) by December, allowing it to be considered. Following that line of reasoning, the same thing must have happened with the Athlon 64.

(The December date is odd since GF FX and the Athlon was nominated by December 9, giving both AMD and NVIDIA just the 8th of December at the latest to sell their wares to their customer.)

How about the Itanium 2? It's out, right? I haven't been following Intel's latest and greatest.

I find the whole thing odd, as if this was some sort of an attempt to attract attention.....Unless the actual criteria for consideration is that the product has to be 'announced'. In that case, Bitboys must have won awards in prevous years.
Old 02-20-03, 08:01 PM   #32
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Default Re: Re: I'm displeased and upset with MikeC's behavoir in the Peter Glaskowsky thread.

Quote:
Originally posted by legion88
Unless NVIDIA owns AMD, he couldn't be a "paid flunky of nVidia".

The Athlon 64 won the 2002 award as well. Who did AMD sell this chip to in 2002 to allow this chip to be considered? Afterall, according to Glaskowsky, the GF FX was already sold to board manufacturers (--NVIDIA's actual customers--) by December, allowing it to be considered. Following that line of reasoning, the same thing must have happened with the Athlon 64.

(The December date is odd since GF FX and the Athlon was nominated by December 9, giving both AMD and NVIDIA just the 8th of December at the latest to sell their wares to their customer.)

How about the Itanium 2? It's out, right? I haven't been following Intel's latest and greatest.

I find the whole thing odd, as if this was some sort of an attempt to attract attention.....Unless the actual criteria for consideration is that the product has to be 'announced'. In that case, Bitboys must have won awards in prevous years.
the product has been demoed quite a bit all over... and has been demonstrated with actual apps running side by side... since a lot earlier on than the gf FX... the 5800 ultra was only demoed late in the year and even then it was supposedly underclocked and running nvidia made demoes... not even close to the product that ati unveiled running with doom3 alpha...

btw... emotions running perhaps a little higher than they need be with a few people

its all good... dont let it get to you... everyone has a job to do... don't forget that...

Old 02-20-03, 08:27 PM   #33
CherryPopper

Well as the individual that started the award thread I do agree with MikeC that there was a little too much heat and not enough light in some of those posts.... Regardless of how one feels about the FX or Peter Glaskowsky I do not believe outright personal attacks are EVER warranted.

Sure it's essential for a successful forum to allow it's members freedom in expressing opinions; however it is not asking too much to expect a certain level of civility to be maintained.
Viewsonic VG191b Flatpanel Display
Audigy 2 with 240 W THX Altec Lansing 5.1 Surround Speakers
Fujitsu 36 Gig 10,000 rpm Ultra 160 SCSI HD
Fujitsu 73 Gig 10,000 rpm Ultra 320 SCSI HD
Windows XP Professional SP1 Build 2600
Old 02-20-03, 08:44 PM   #34
legion88
WhatIfSports.com Junkie

Default Re: Re: Re: I'm displeased and upset with MikeC's behavoir in the Peter Glaskowsky thread.

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazar
the product has been demoed quite a bit all over... and has been demonstrated with actual apps running side by side... since a lot earlier on than the gf FX... the 5800 ultra was only demoed late in the year and even then it was supposedly underclocked and running nvidia made demoes... not even close to the product that ati unveiled running with doom3 alpha...

btw... emotions running perhaps a little higher than they need be with a few people

its all good... dont let it get to you... everyone has a job to do... don't forget that...
Being demoed and sold are two different things. I'm going on what was claimed, which was something was sold:

Quote:
Our eligibility criteria are that nominees must be commercially available during the calendar year preceding the announcement of the award, and that enough information be available about the nominees to permit us to reach a good decision about the award.

The GeForce FX did become commercially available during 2002. NVIDIA manufactured and sold these chips in 2002 to board makers,...
Glaskowsky (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...1&pagenumber=2)
Old 02-20-03, 10:10 PM   #35
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Originally posted by CherryPopper
Well as the individual that started the award thread I do agree with MikeC that there was a little too much heat and not enough light in some of those posts.... Regardless of how one feels about the FX or Peter Glaskowsky I do not believe outright personal attacks are EVER warranted.

Sure it's essential for a successful forum to allow it's members freedom in expressing opinions; however it is not asking too much to expect a certain level of civility to be maintained.
peter started it
Old 02-20-03, 10:13 PM   #36
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: I'm displeased and upset with MikeC's behavoir in the Peter Glaskowsky thread.

Quote:
Originally posted by legion88
Being demoed and sold are two different things. I'm going on what was claimed, which was something was sold:

Glaskowsky (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...1&pagenumber=2)
peter contradicted himself in a manner.. which is what got a lot of people riled up.. I suppose if he has the knowledge to wipe his ass... which we obviously don't... he would have known about this..

looking @ the candidates and the choices... its their decision... I had never heard of this so called industry leading group before this but nvidia has sure put them on the map in a big way...

/me decides to become an analyst and put forth awards also.. and vows to learn how to wipe his own ass... since this is a top criterion to become a leading analyst who is immune to everything... even raw facts...
Closed Thread