Go Back   nV News Forums > Website Related > Feedback Forum

Newegg Daily Deals

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-03, 10:20 PM   #37
StealthHawk

you can have heated discussions while remaining civil, it's as simple as that.

it's really not that hard....remain calm, continue discussing things logically, and there will be no reason for posts to be edited, deleted, or threads to be locked.

if someone starts flaming send a report on the post by clicking on "report this post to a moderator" in the lower right. or just PM one of us. there's no need to try to take it into your hands and retaliate by flaming back.

Old 02-20-03, 10:28 PM   #38
digitalwanderer

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I'm displeased and upset with MikeC's behavoir in the Peter Glaskowsky thread.

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazar
I suppose if he has the knowledge to wipe his ass... which we obviously don't...
OMFG!

Y'know, with all this talk of butt-wiping and such I TOTALLY blew it! TOTALLY!

In case you're not familar with my personal history, I retired from working a sysOp job at US Steel about 5 years ago to become a stay-at-home with the kids type of Dad while my wife went back to work full time.

It was right after my son was born, and I was "Mom" for him so to speak. Washed him, fed him, changed his diapers....

...but wait, there's more.

My daughter was born about 4 months before my son was toilet trained, and she's just going thru toilet training now. My wife is doing great with her job and quite happy with it, I'm still "doing the Mom-thing" and doing ok with it (aside from this damned tendancy to go a bit bonkers on the internet from time to time in me secret-cyber-identity, but everybody needs a hobby ) but I've been raising my daughter too for all her life. Bathing her, feeding her, changing her diaper.....

I got an old dog, she's about 9 now but she's over 200lbs and has a hard time getting around. I love her too much to put her down unless she asks me too, so I put up with a certain amount of daily disgusting chores to keep her happy/content/not-smelling-like-dogpoop....

I don't change her diaper, I usually end up steam-cleaning twice a day...but I do have to wipe her butt clean if'n she has a bad spell and can't get up. YES it's disgusting, but she's family and who else is gonna do it? Hell, I talk nice to her and tell her I don't mind with a straight face while I do it just 'cause I know it has to be done and she ain't enjoying it anymore than I am.

Ok, I got a little of point there...but I'm coming up to it (if you don't see this one a mile off )

I KNOW ARSE-WIPING!

It's gross, it ain't fun; but by the Gods and all that I hold dear and sacred I do know ass wiping and I know it well....and I'm damned good at it.

I just had to get that out. You ever come up with the best come-back to something the next day and it drives you nuts that you missed your opportunity to say that? Well, this is like that for me.

So bring it on and bring it on good, 'cause I sure as hell know almost everything there is to know about ass wiping!
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
Old 02-21-03, 12:28 AM   #39
JAV
Frugal 'clocker

Quote:
The GeForce FX did become commercially available during 2002. NVIDIA manufactured and sold these chips in 2002 to board makers,...
Big companies contract sales out 2 product cycles in advance, if they can. They sell 'futures', but that doesn't mean the product is or ever will be available. I'd wager ATi could show they had at least 1 'future' sale of the 9xxx series back in 2001. I'd bet Apple has already 'paid' IBM for PowerPC chips that will come out in 2004/2005.

Future sales offset R&D costs & OEM's/retail vendors aren't going to wait 'til something is announced & stand in line if they can get a 'foot in the door' prior to the product getting off the drawing board. The smart companies (in todays economy) won't even proceed with production until they have those contract$ in hand. That's what the sales dept is for.

Gonna be funny when the 'Award Winner' is also the least sold retail store card of 2002/2003. ... especially since nVidia already said no GFFX Ultras will be sold in retail stores > only 'pre-order' for the Ultra.
Old 02-21-03, 11:26 AM   #40
legion88
WhatIfSports.com Junkie

Quote:
Originally posted by JAV
Big companies contract sales out 2 product cycles in advance, if they can. They sell 'futures', but that doesn't mean the product is or ever will be available. I'd wager ATi could show they had at least 1 'future' sale of the 9xxx series back in 2001. I'd bet Apple has already 'paid' IBM for PowerPC chips that will come out in 2004/2005.

Future sales offset R&D costs & OEM's/retail vendors aren't going to wait 'til something is announced & stand in line if they can get a 'foot in the door' prior to the product getting off the drawing board. The smart companies (in todays economy) won't even proceed with production until they have those contract$ in hand. That's what the sales dept is for.

Gonna be funny when the 'Award Winner' is also the least sold retail store card of 2002/2003. ... especially since nVidia already said no GFFX Ultras will be sold in retail stores > only 'pre-order' for the Ultra.
It is already funny since the 2002 "Award Winner" sold a total of zero GF FX in 2002 in the retail chain. Isn't that correct?

Your explanation makes sense (regarding sales) but only if we introduce statements that Glaskowsky did not make. I'm only going what he actually stated.
Old 02-21-03, 04:48 PM   #41
Shinri Hikari
Lantern in the dark

I agree that there has been FAR too many flamerz on this site. The amount of bashing ppl has been staggering. If no one wants thread clipping or locking, the thread needs to be civil, simple. If you can not agree, then that is YOUR problem. If I am guilty, please let me know, civilly. I have not had the opertunity to see the thread in question, so no comment there. Yes MikeC has the right to edit/erase posts/threads he does not like, whether the act is appropriate or not. If you can not agree, then that is YOUR problem. I will be happy when the flames slow down, as it is the problem is still big. If you can not agree, then that is YOUR problem.
Old 02-21-03, 05:24 PM   #42
noko
noko

Didn't Peter XXX say to the effect he was a master flammer or something?

Well looky here?

Alot of us are fighting each other now while he is probably amused and even thinks mightier of himself more now then ever.

I say forget about him and his award and lets get back to business. I've seen some cool threads here about cooling the GF FX and such and hope to see more threads dealing with getting the most out of Nvidia cards. Hey that is what this site is about I do believe. I really didn't see where that thread was going anyways. Many questions repeated over and over again which truthfully would never be answered. I am glad the thread was closed myself. I did get some real good laughs out of it I have to say. My two cents worth.

Foxconn 780G, Athlon64 X2 5600 @ 3ghz, Mushkin 4gb DDR 800 OCZ 2x2gb , eVga 260 GTX. 17" MagAcer LCD, 120gb Vista 32
Old 02-21-03, 05:27 PM   #43
digitalwanderer

The flames have increased, but so has the site traffic and member base...you want those to go too?
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
Old 02-21-03, 05:30 PM   #44
noko
noko

what do you mean? That is if directed at my response that is ?

Old 02-21-03, 06:03 PM   #45
digitalwanderer

Quote:
Originally posted by noko
what do you mean? That is if directed at my response that is ?
I mean that some controversy is essential to carry on a debate, and that controversy also generates interest and likewise content.

I agree that over-the-top attacks are bad, but I feel that Pete was giving an awful lot more than he got even before he got here. That award is an insult to anyone with a shred of intelligence and knowledge in that arena, and the arrogant way he came in here was more than enough (IMHO, of course) to fully justify all the comments and attacks he received in that thread. I feel it was more of a reflection of the current community mood, or an expression of it.

And yeah, I find that sort of thing neat. I couldn't explain why to you if'n I wanted to, but I do....and I feel it was squelched to try and change the perception of the communities feelings.

By "community" I ain't talking about the site owner's personal preference, I'm trying to imply the general consensus of the members...which I am NOT trying to speak for or represent. It ain't my place, I'm just one little tiny part of it.

But when I start seeing a consensus of opinion and emotion like that in a thread I truly feel it is indicative of something important or big, and I feel it's worth pursuing to find out what that something is.

I guess that's sort of what I meant, I think. (It's a looooooooooong Friday here, my thinker ain't thinking at it's best right now. )

EDITED BITS: Fixed some really stupid errors, did I mention it's a Friday again?
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
Old 02-21-03, 06:17 PM   #46
noko
noko

Yea, I think I know what you are saying, pricipals of fairness, truth and given the chance to show or find out what really is drove allot of that discussion. As far as I am concern Peter what his name showed disdain towards the community from the onset and as being as bright as he claim or think he is darn well knew it In my books he is a blind loser and not even worthy of any further waste of time. The only one that I think should be banned is Peter . . . I still don't see any fault in Walt C in closing the thread, frankly I think he did the right thing.

Foxconn 780G, Athlon64 X2 5600 @ 3ghz, Mushkin 4gb DDR 800 OCZ 2x2gb , eVga 260 GTX. 17" MagAcer LCD, 120gb Vista 32

Last edited by noko; 02-21-03 at 06:20 PM.
Old 02-21-03, 06:28 PM   #47
StealthHawk

Quote:
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
The flames have increased, but so has the site traffic and member base...you want those to go too?
we don't need flamers here. if you can't communicate with others without keeping cool or at the very least not stooping to insulting each other, then i doubt many people will miss you. besides the fact that disorderly conduct is almost certainly against the forum rules here.

guys, MikeC is/was not trying to defend Peter G. he's displeased with his conduct as well.

P.S. the other thread was closed for a reason. this thread is not meant to be a continuance of that one. so don't try to slyly continue it in here. this is a feedback thread. please let it stay that way.

Old 02-21-03, 06:32 PM   #48
de><ta
prodigy

for God's sake who cares what award NVIDIA won. HOW ON EARTH DOES IT AFFECT YOU??? answer that question will you. This is just fanboyism, and the companies love it, having brainless morons following them loyally.

We all have our own oppinions on which card is good. Keep it no need to argue over it, listen to what some one has to say, if it makes sense follow it, if it does not ask them to explain it a bit more. But for pete's sake dont argue with them... none of you gain anything. Why on earth do you want to argue and flame for the sake of a company. I say screw that let us just chill out enjoy each others company and opinions and let the two companies battle it out for themselves.

So rule number one: respect other people's opinions. I know when Mike's opinions are good and when they are not. I keep them to myself.

Let us learn to do that and cut out with all this flaming.

///m-powered | Intel i7 920 | EVGA x58 | 6GB DD3 1600 | EVGA GTX 285 SSC | 150GB VelociRaptor

Drag racing is for fast cars. Autocrossing is for fast drivers.
Closed Thread