Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-16-08, 11:17 AM   #1249
SJA06
Higher Than A Kite

Default Re: Flight Simulator X Full Version Feedback Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revs
All these screenies look awesome but what sort of frame rate are you getting? I assume it's not playable at these levels of detail.
It certainly is! - you may not be able to attain the sort of frame rates consistently you need for a first person shooter, but you don't need that in FSX. I think most of us shoot for, and largely get 25 - 30fps....I lock mine at 25 to give an even ride and it helps the terrain keep up - if I unlock it the rate can go as high as 60-70fps depending on where I'm flying. Decent Quad-core machines have no trouble maintaining much higher rates than mine, and keeping everything sharp.

All the shots I've posted are running at the same settings I play all the time at, and I'm sure Sillyeagle and the other are the same.
SJA06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-08, 11:42 AM   #1250
omg_dastard!
Fig-roll FTW!

Hey all ^_^

Ive been a member of nvnews for years now, but unfortunatly took a hiatus 3yrs ago and have since forgotten the password. Oh well

I was wondering if you could help me in regards FSX.

My system specs are:

Core 2 Duo @ 3.8ghz 4mb cache
4Gb DDR2 1066Mhz dominator with fan
8800GTX 768mb.
evga 680i
24" screen.

At what level detail can I play this game at? Would a quad core make any difference?

Also my neighbour is giving me his FSX with accelerator addon. What mods would you recommend to make this game better? I have for all intents and purposes unlimited funds in regards mods etc.

One final set of questions, does this game work well with a saitek X52 pro (contemplating getting if better than keyboard) and is this game fast paced at all? I played the demo once which was pretty..........staid.

cheers thanks alot,

(seems a better place for my questions)

^_^
omg_dastard! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-08, 01:45 PM   #1251
sillyeagle
sillyego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revs
All these screenies look awesome but what sort of frame rate are you getting? I assume it's not playable at these levels of detail.
I was getting about 27fps in the shots above with those settings.
EVGA Intel X58
Old 05-16-08, 02:10 PM   #1252
sillyeagle
sillyego

Quote:
Originally Posted by omg_dastard!
At what level detail can I play this game at? Would a quad core make any difference?

One final set of questions, does this game work well with a saitek X52 pro (contemplating getting if better than keyboard) and is this game fast paced at all? I played the demo once which was pretty..........staid.
Your CPU clock speed determines the framerate, and adding more cores helps with terrain loading and to reduce stutters, but they do not increase your framerate. At 3.8GHz you can run it with higher settings than me, and as you can see it looks pretty good on my system, which is only 3GHz.

As to the add ons just read through this thread, its all been talked about a few times.

You would certainly want a joystick for this. I wouldn't even bother trying to use a keyboard. There's some missions in FSX but its mostly about getting in a plane and going for a flight, so the pace is up to you.
EVGA Intel X58
Old 05-16-08, 02:45 PM   #1253
Sabadin

Snapped this while playing around with the SF260 since I haven't flown it for a while.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	260.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	31478  
Sabadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-08, 05:48 PM   #1254
omg_dastard!
Fig-roll FTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyeagle
Your CPU clock speed determines the framerate, and adding more cores helps with terrain loading and to reduce stutters, but they do not increase your framerate. At 3.8GHz you can run it with higher settings than me, and as you can see it looks pretty good on my system, which is only 3GHz.

As to the add ons just read through this thread, its all been talked about a few times.

You would certainly want a joystick for this. I wouldn't even bother trying to use a keyboard. There's some missions in FSX but its mostly about getting in a plane and going for a flight, so the pace is up to you.
Thank you for your reply. So will the be "playable" at 1920x1200 @ Max Quality with addons? Im running Xp Pro 32bit.

What I meant by pace was that does it feel if the planes are fast? I got fairly bored due to the planes feeling really slow, even though I was plummeting down at 90oc

So is the X52 pro the way to go?

cheers
Old 05-16-08, 06:19 PM   #1255
Lith1um

Biggest thing to consider with fsx performance, bloom, 2x water, and terrain shadows all add an additional rendering pass per frame so they really kick performance in the nuts.

It will be very playable at 1900x1200 on your system. You will be able to run 16xAF and likely 8x or 8xq AA.

The F18 feels fast. The air racing in acceleration gives a good sense of speed. TrackIR adds alot to the sense of speed if you have one.
Lith1um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-08, 06:27 PM   #1256
Lith1um

Quote:
So is the X52 pro the way to go?
Saitek X52 pro and their rudder pedals.

TrackIR <- It put's your head in the virtual ****pits. I won't fly without it.

And the Buttkicker Gamer. <- feel the sim in your whole body. awesome. $50

That is where I would spend my FSX dollars at the start.

Then I'd look at the Ultimate Terrain X series, FSGenesis mesh, MyTraffic X, and I personaly prefer X-Graphics.

http://www.scenerysolutions.com/ut_fsx_usa.html
http://www.scenerysolutions.com/ut_fsx_can.html
http://www.scenerysolutions.com/ut_fsx_eur.html

http://www.fsgenesis.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc

http://www.hifisim.com/xgraphics.html

http://mytraffic2004.com/mtx/

Old 05-16-08, 08:26 PM   #1257
sillyeagle
sillyego

Quote:
Thank you for your reply. So will the be "playable" at 1920x1200 @ Max Quality with addons? Im running Xp Pro 32bit.

What I meant by pace was that does it feel if the planes are fast? I got fairly bored due to the planes feeling really slow, even though I was plummeting down at 90oc
I just use the Saitek Aviator my self($25). It has two throttles so I use one for RPM and one for throttle.

You will not be able to max everything on current hardware, but you can certainly get it to look like my images and be well into the 30fps range. What you have to do is balance the settings in the right way. Most sliders can be maxed out but there are a few key items you need to watch out for, as Lith1um mentions. Once you have had a chance to play with the sliders we can help with tuning.

The sense of speed is totally relative, so unless there is another object whizzing by, such as clouds or trees, you don' get much sense of speed. Thats why I like buzzing tree tops, etc. The sense of speed seems better with the FTX add on since the autogen objects are scaled more realistically, which means they are smaller than the oversized default autogen.

Popular add ons to consider are:

Flight Environment X (Cloud, sky, and water textures)
Ground Environment X(Ground textures)
Ultimate Terrain X(River, lake, coastline and landclass data)
FSGenesis Mesh(High resolution elevation data)

Flight Terrain X(FTX) is a superior scenery product which gives new ground textures, autogen, roads, landclass, coastlines, VFR objects, and more, but since everything is hand drawn and hand placed it is being released as small region packs of which only two have been released.
EVGA Intel X58
Old 05-17-08, 08:27 AM   #1258
omg_dastard!
Fig-roll FTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lith1um
Saitek X52 pro and their rudder pedals.

TrackIR <- It put's your head in the virtual ****pits. I won't fly without it.

And the Buttkicker Gamer. <- feel the sim in your whole body. awesome. $50

That is where I would spend my FSX dollars at the start.

Then I'd look at the Ultimate Terrain X series, FSGenesis mesh, MyTraffic X, and I personaly prefer X-Graphics.

http://www.scenerysolutions.com/ut_fsx_usa.html
http://www.scenerysolutions.com/ut_fsx_can.html
http://www.scenerysolutions.com/ut_fsx_eur.html

http://www.fsgenesis.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc

http://www.hifisim.com/xgraphics.html

http://mytraffic2004.com/mtx/
Thank you for your fabulous help ^^

Are the rudder pedals that much benificial. Only saying this, because they actually cost more than the x52 pro

The trackIR looks kickass. Which is the best one to buy?

Consider all the addons brought

anymore help would be great

(p.s would going SLI, or upgrading motherboard and getting a 45nm Quad make a huge difference?)

cheers
Old 05-17-08, 09:50 AM   #1259
Lith1um

Rudder pedals are not "necessary". The X52's have a twist stick for the rudder. I just like the rudder pedals for things like helo's and air racing. They are usefull during landings and when taxiing due to the brake pedals and differential steering.

Personaly I would get the tir4: pro and the trackclip pro, which is what I'm using now. The ultra pack comes with rFactor and BoB II, both are great sims.

http://www.gogamer.com/TrackIR-4-Pro...VVviewprod.htm
Old 05-17-08, 12:38 PM   #1260
sillyeagle
sillyego

Quote:
(p.s would going SLI, or upgrading motherboard and getting a 45nm Quad make a huge difference?)
I would try it on your current system and see what you think. The main reason to get a Quad IMO is to reduce the dreaded "blurries", which FSX is known for. FSX gives the lowest priority to ground texture loading, so if you are flying fast the ground textures can't load in fast enough causing blurred ground textures.

With my style of flying low and fast I was always flying over blurred ground textures with my 3.6GHz Dual core, but now that I've switched to a Quad I am much happier, even though it is 600MHz slower. At least I can fly over sharp textures now.

Many people don't have issues with the blurries becuase they take off and go up to altitude, where blurries are not so much an issue, but if you plan on doing a lot of low altitude flight a Quad is ideal.

As to SLI, I can say with just one 8800 GTX you can run FSX at 1600x1200 with 16xS Supersampling forced via enhancer with no problems. If you kow whay kind of performance hit 16xS causes then this will tell you how much GPU headroom FSX has, so much so that your CPU is where your performance always hinges. People have said FSX does not support SLI, but the developers have always said SLI works at the driver level and not the application so there is no reason it should not work.
EVGA Intel X58