Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-28-08, 11:24 PM   #1309
Amuro
Newtype Ace

Default Re: Flight Simulator X Full Version Feedback Thread

Have some questions about some add-ons.

I'm looking at Flight Deck 5 and Carrier Striker Force, both are from Abacus. Are they worth getting? Some of the weaponry is modelled but probably just the usual eye candy.

Does anyone know of any places that offer high quality military aircrafts with realistic flight model and some weaponry, payware or freeware doesn't matter?
Lian Li Armorsuit PC-P80 Black | Intel Core i7-3960X @4.3Ghz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | G.SKILL Ripjaws X 4 x 4GB @1866Mhz CL9 |eVGA GTX 690 Hydro Copper | Cruscial M4 512GB SATA III SSD | WD VelociRaptor 300GB | Samsung Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB | Pioneer BDR-205BK 12x Blu-ray Burner | Creative x-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Sound Card | Corsair A1200 1200W PSU

Water cooled by Koolance ERM-3K3UC Cooling System
Amuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-08, 12:48 AM   #1310
sillyeagle
sillyego

Personally, I would avoid Abacus at all costs if you are looking for high quality stuff. From what I have seen they make the worst payware out there. I'd rather spend my $30 on one high quality aircraft, rather than a box full of really crappy aircraft, which is basically what you get, but since I've never actually owned any of their stuff my opinion might not be worth anything.

Unfortunatly there's not much out there if you are looking for shootable weapons, though you can get some nice military aircraft. The best modern fighter out there is the F/A-18 with the acceleration pack, and if you have that you can get the Captain Sim XLoad which has full weapon loadouts that have accurate weight and drag affects on the flight model, though they are not shootable. The Captain Sim C-130 is the best military transport plane out there if you are into those. Awesome flight model and a very fun plane to fly.

Iris Simulations has a new F-20 Tigershark thats worth a look, and Alphasim has a ton a military offerings, though you won't get the level of quality from either company that you see with the F/A-18. I do really like the Alphasim F-86 saber as its got a very nice external model and flight model, but with all Alphasim stuff the VC is not the best. I'm familiar with a few of the Iris and Alphasim offerings, so if you are looking at anything specific and can let you know what I think.

If you are looking for Warbirds the RealAir Spitfire is clearly the best choice, and nearly everybody who posts here has it, and I am also a big fan of the Shockwave(A2A) P-40, which is a close second behind the Spit.

Most of the planes I fly are military, and I've created a visual catalogue of my recommended add ons in this post.
EVGA Intel X58
Old 05-29-08, 04:46 AM   #1311
NuBee
NuBee

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuBee
AU BLUE-SP1 IS OUT
It includes all previous hotfixes.

http://orbxsystems.com/forums/index....=2983.msg21421
Seen or feel any difference?

How do you like my new avatar?
Core i7 920@4.2 / Asus Rampage II Extreme / Noctua NH-U12P SE 1366 / 6GB Dominator GT PC3-16000 Triple Channel (CL 7-7-7-16-1T) / 2 x GTX680 SLI / X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro Series + Teufel Concept E Magnum 5.1 + 4xCanton/ 2x1Tb Samsung F3@Raid-0 / CoolermasterStackerSTC-T01 + 3xSilenX-Ixtrema120 + 2xS3NoiseBlocker + ZalmanZM-MFC1 Multi Fan Controller/Win7 x64
I'm not a signature,I'm just cleaning here
NuBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-08, 12:01 AM   #1312
sillyeagle
sillyego

EVGA Intel X58
Old 05-30-08, 05:13 PM   #1313
Lith1um

New FSX racing missions released

http://www.fsinsider.com/downloads/P...gMissions.aspx
Lith1um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-08, 12:20 AM   #1314
sillyeagle
sillyego

Here's a little comparison I did just north of Vancouver. The first image shows Default scenery with 20m mesh. The second image adds UTX Canada, and the third image adds XClass landclass. In the final image you can see what Holger Sandmann's Vancouver+ looks like, which demonstrates that scenery based on geo data can't even come close to a hand built product like V+ or FTX. Even with FTX on the scene Vancouver+ is still my favorite localized area.

UTX doesn't even add all the rivers, and I can't understand why UTX always removes the snow caps from mountains. While XClass adds a great deal of landclass variety the data is very randomized and hardly accurate. Other than Vancouver+ the default scenery seems to be the most accurate. Vancouver+ simply looks amazing.

EVGA Intel X58
Old 05-31-08, 12:07 PM   #1315
yxx

excellent comparison sillyeagle and thanks for that. i agree about van+........excellent add on in terms of accuracy......i should know cause i live in that area so i can compare. i run utx canada and van+ on top of that .

All of the screenshots here from FTX area from slaWter, sillyeagle and company are excellent. i just don't have a desire yet to fly down under....and pay money for an add on that i might not spend a lot of time flying in but the product sure looks amazingly well done.

now to derail this thread a bit. i did a flight in a 172 with my buddy (who's piloting) and we flew from victoria, b.c. to abbotsford, b.c. thru Vancouver downtown. so if you want a glimpse of the "realworld" Vancouver+ then feel free to check out my little video. it was an evening flight and a little hazy but if you want to see downtown Vancouver at 2000 feet then check it out here. and there is a link below that if you want the high quality version from youtube it's about 6 minutes or so. i guess youtube now has a standard and high quality option. the high quality seems to clear things up a little more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97lpVY_66Ko

yxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-08, 03:34 PM   #1316
blisk

Hey so I just stumbled across this awesome thread. I've read back a few pages but don't have the time to read it all atm, I was wondering if anyone knew of mods or addon's that make the cities a little more accurate. For instance with NYC not only are alot of key buildings missing but aside from some major roads, the entire thing doesn't even have the roads going the right way. If you see a map of NYC the entire thing is in a grid pattern except for broadway on a diagonal. Not a big deal but it does take away from the realism and it would be nice to have something from satellite images or Google earth's buildings in there.
blisk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-08, 04:04 PM   #1317
sillyeagle
sillyego

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisk View Post
Hey so I just stumbled across this awesome thread. I've read back a few pages but don't have the time to read it all atm, I was wondering if anyone knew of mods or addon's that make the cities a little more accurate. For instance with NYC not only are alot of key buildings missing but aside from some major roads, the entire thing doesn't even have the roads going the right way. If you see a map of NYC the entire thing is in a grid pattern except for broadway on a diagonal. Not a big deal but it does take away from the realism and it would be nice to have something from satellite images or Google earth's buildings in there.
Ultimate Terrain X USA(UTX) is about the best add on for that. It makes the urban landclass much more accurate, as well as upgrading the look and accuracy of all the roads, although even with UTX the roads in NYC are still screwed up. As far as I know there is no way to fix that, they will be diagonal no matter what, rather than aligned with the ussual grid pattern. I would think for a major city like NY they would have taken steps to fix that, but unfortunately not.

If you check pages 62 through 64 of this thread I posted some comparison images with UTX.
EVGA Intel X58
Old 06-05-08, 09:13 PM   #1318
sillyeagle
sillyego

Here's some new shots of the Aerosoft F-16. Its slated for a June release. Images by Nick C.

EVGA Intel X58

Last edited by sillyeagle; 06-08-08 at 01:08 AM.
sillyeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-08, 09:52 PM   #1319
breathemetal
*BANNED*

Send a message via AIM to breathemetal

Wow thats nice!
breathemetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-08, 09:59 PM   #1320
sillyeagle
sillyego

Here's a few preview images of Aerosofts Switzerland Pro X. Seems they are selling it pretty cheap, as it's only going to be $200, box release only. Looks pretty cool though.

EVGA Intel X58