Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-01-06, 04:36 AM   #157
icecold1983

Default Re: Official Flight Simulator X Thread

is that with all sliders maxed? still doesnt look like the screens microsoft released, the lighting/texturing in microsofts screens is on a different level.
icecold1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-06, 04:51 AM   #158
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

MS could have either had access to DX10 hardware or doctored the screenshots.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-06, 06:37 AM   #159
pentax

Once again, Hi to everybody.

I'm really wondering about one thing that boded me in FS9. Can you guys with FSX check this one please: try to catch a jet like 747 in the air. How close can you get before you collide? What happens when you are directly behind it? In FS9 you collide much too soon and there is no wake turbulence behind it (at least not like it should be).

Thanks!
pentax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-06, 10:46 AM   #160
Bearclaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentax
Once again, Hi to everybody.

I'm really wondering about one thing that boded me in FS9. Can you guys with FSX check this one please: try to catch a jet like 747 in the air. How close can you get before you collide? What happens when you are directly behind it? In FS9 you collide much too soon and there is no wake turbulence behind it (at least not like it should be).

Thanks!
As far as colliding, I never tried but I get close sometimes and I know the ATC warns both aircraft when you get within 1 mile radius with another plane.
Old 12-01-06, 05:57 PM   #161
Mrxerxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecold1983
is that with all sliders maxed? still doesnt look like the screens microsoft released, the lighting/texturing in microsofts screens is on a different level.

Something important to note though is that the MS screens you posted are all taken from a much higher altitude than his screen shot. That makes a BIG difference IMO, the landscapes / city scapes begin to look much better once you reach a certain alititude. I see what you are saying about the lighting though, but the one with the lens flare and shiny water / building is possible in game I can assure you. The one with the mountain range casting shadows on itself, there is a special checkbox you need to enable for that, which takes a big performance hit and is disabled by default. I don't think anyone will dispute that it will be a while before most of us are truly able to fully appriciate and use this great simulator, due to current hardware constraints.
Mrxerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-06, 05:59 PM   #162
OWA

Yeah, it can look really good at higher altitudes.
OWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-06, 06:41 PM   #163
sillyeagle
sillyego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrxerxes
Something important to note though is that the MS screens you posted are all taken from a much higher altitude than his screen shot. That makes a BIG difference IMO, the landscapes / city scapes begin to look much better once you reach a certain alititude. I see what you are saying about the lighting though, but the one with the lens flare and shiny water / building is possible in game I can assure you. The one with the mountain range casting shadows on itself, there is a special checkbox you need to enable for that, which takes a big performance hit and is disabled by default. I don't think anyone will dispute that it will be a while before most of us are truly able to fully appriciate and use this great simulator, due to current hardware constraints.
I would agree with this assesment, and my shot was with all sliders maxed and all boxes checked. It was only 11fps, and thats a fast scene since a city scene at those settings would be like 5fps or less.
EVGA Intel X58
Old 12-01-06, 07:03 PM   #164
icecold1983

can someone post pics with the vfr scenery add on? its suppose to be a big improvement.
icecold1983 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-06, 08:29 AM   #165
Lith1um

Pardon me if it's been posted, but someone was inquiring about a mission editor.

The FSX sdk has already been released and luckily a site has popped up which specializes in FSX missions. There site also hosts a video which guides you through the mission creation process.
Lith1um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-06, 01:35 PM   #166
Tym

Question Re: Official Flight Simulator X Thread

On a slightly different note... FSX finally convinced me to upgrade, and while it can still bring the C2D/8800 combo to its kness, the jump from 7800GTX was well worth it (in fact, it simply made the game playable at reasonable settings). However, I've run into an unexpected problem with my dual display setup.

I use DualView, and my secondary screen is rotated 90 degrees clockwise (I use the same machine for translation work, and its great for a full-page view). With the 7800, I was able to play FSX on my primary display (full screen), and instrument panels displayed OK when dragged to the secondary screen. However, on the 8800, when I try to move the instrument panels to the secondary screen, they are displayed as if screen rotation was off in the drivers (when I drag them to the right from the main display, they appear from the top of the screen, rotated 90 degrees CW, thus aligned physically with the screen). Interestingly, the cursor displays correctly, only the panels are affected. Could I ask anyone running a dual display config to verify whether the problem exists on their machines with 8800 as well? I hope it's not too much hassle.

TIA
Tym
i5-2500K with Thermalright SI-128, Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD4-B3, 8GB Kingston HyperX 1600, Palit GeForce GTX 460 Sonic Platinum, Samsung 275T Plus 27" + Samsung 943T 19", Auzentech X-Fi Prelude + Rotel RA-820AX + Kef Q1, Razer DeathAdder mouse, Antec P190 case, 60GB OCZ Vertex for OS/FSX + 2 x 640GB WD Black RAID1, Plextor PX-880SA DVD-RW; OS: Windows 7 Ultimate x64; FSX gear: Saitek X52 Pro + Rudder Pedals + Yoke System
Tym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-07, 02:06 AM   #167
pentax

Hello and a Happy New Year to everybody!

Long time since the last post here. Mean time Santa got me a new PC and the FSX. I general I'm happy with the the FS but I have some issues, so I come tothis forum.

I have E6600, got it running at 3.15Mhz (350x9) air cooled, ASUS P5W DH, 2MB corsair PC800 (1:1 5,5,5,15), 8800GTX (latest driver) and WD150,10.000rpm. FS running on 1920x1080 with all (or most of them) tweeks mentioned on this forum. Sliders generally in the middle. But here is the thing:

if I set FPS slider to Max frames/sec, I get values jumping from 5 to 60 even when on the ground not moving. When moving there are anoing hickups: first smooth flow for 0.5-1 sec then everithing jumps forwardfor a few frames. (hmm, now I find it difficult to explain). It's worse close to the groung with lots of objects.
When I limit FPS to 20/24 FPS it is not so apparent. But I find 20 FPS not enough when using TrackIR (Natural Point). It's just too difficult for the eyes to follow quick moves of the had.

I don't know what could be the problem. I have the feeling that the 8800GTX is able to give 30-35FPS or more. It is smooth but with hickups everi second or so. I haven't seen this with FS9 on the old computer. There, low FPS was just low FPS without the hickups.

Here and there I also get black scenery area flashes (or clouds).

Any ideas? Driver problem? 8800GTX problem?

Has someone similar PC configuration? Any sugestions on clock/voltage/latency configuraqtion?

Thanks in advance for any help. I hope someone still reads this forum since there was none for a long time.
pentax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-07, 04:32 AM   #168
agentkay

The hicups are caused by the rather poor performance of the texture streaming and auto-gen landscape and on top of that AI eats roughly 10-15fps alone as well. If they had properly multi-threaded FSX you wouldnt see the problem.

BTW, Im using also TrackIR and I set the framerate to 35fps, which seems to me a decent compromise and works nicely in the slower planes but low altitude in one of the faster ones, combined in a more dense area, result in rather poor performance.

I also tend to disable the turbulance/thermal lift options since its buggy anyway and only wasting cpu cycles.

The only 8800 problem that I found in FSX are the missing selfshadows on the planes.

At this point Im not even flying in FSX because its more annoying than enjoyable. Im waiting for the first major patch (due January-February??) and hope it solves some of the issues.

Intel I7-920 aircooled by Prolimatech Megahalems @ 3.8Ghz (200x19) | Gigabyte GA-X58-UD3R | OCZ Platinum 3x2GB DDR3-1600 RAM (7-7-7-24) @ 1600 | Gainward GTX 480 | WD Raptor 74GB + 150GB + Samsung 1TB | Soundblaster X-Fi Platinum | Corsair AX850 Gold | Coolermaster Stacker 830 silver | Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 | Logitech G15 keyboard | Logitech G25 Racing Wheel | Sharp LC-46 XL1E (gaming and work)
F CliffyB.
agentkay is offline   Reply With Quote