Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-04-08, 02:15 PM   #1861
SJA06
Higher Than A Kite

Default Re: Flight Simulator X Full Version Feedback Thread

Downloaded Green again this morning, while the US and Oz was sleeping, and got a nice fast and working file.

loving it so far, but my problem is not knowing the best places to fly in such a big country. I pick an airfield, and find thousands of Sq miles of flat.

So, what gems have you guys found so far?

A few along the coast, around Cairns...can't wait to compare REX against FEX here. I think my shaders must have been buggered, because since my re-install of FSX my clouds are nice and white again, and it's looking good - just need a better tropical water theme for this area [and Steve's water normals]...

SJA06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-08, 04:51 PM   #1862
omzig
Comfortably Numb

Default Theres A New Sheriff In Town

Hey guys

Great shots there Mark love the haze in the last but one, as for where to fly ive found GoogleEarth to be of great help in finding cool areas to fly in FSX also if you install FSX Objects For Google Earth it becomes very easy to see what airports are in the area your interested in

Almost done with the BCS EC-135

Laters
Steve
omzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-08, 12:54 PM   #1863
omzig
Comfortably Numb

Hey guys

I think shes done

RS download

Any problems just give me a shout

Enjoy
Steve
Old 10-06-08, 03:44 PM   #1864
sillyeagle
sillyego

Another awesome repaint. Thanks steve!
EVGA Intel X58
Old 10-07-08, 02:21 PM   #1865
sillyeagle
sillyego

I tried to set my self up with a GTX260 this weekend, but it didn't work. Since I get horrible stutters in full screen with any of the new drivers, and because all other games like the new ones, I've had to change back to the 169 driver every time I want to play FSX. I got tired of that so decided to change cards. Well I got the new card at a local shop, took it home, and everything looked good until I fired up Stalker, at which point I lost video, and after that I had tons of artifacts even in 2D. Needless to say I had to return the card and I'm still with my 8800. I think I'll order one for next weekend and hopefully I'll have better luck, and I think I'll ge the version with 216 cores.
EVGA Intel X58
Old 10-07-08, 06:43 PM   #1866
yxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyeagle View Post
I tried to set my self up with a GTX260 this weekend, but it didn't work. Since I get horrible stutters in full screen with any of the new drivers, and because all other games like the new ones, I've had to change back to the 169 driver every time I want to play FSX. I got tired of that so decided to change cards. Well I got the new card at a local shop, took it home, and everything looked good until I fired up Stalker, at which point I lost video, and after that I had tons of artifacts even in 2D. Needless to say I had to return the card and I'm still with my 8800. I think I'll order one for next weekend and hopefully I'll have better luck, and I think I'll ge the version with 216 cores.

that's a bummer about the new card. i was fortunate and got a good one and had no issues with mine. i hear you on the stuttering with FSX and newer drivers in full screen. I'm running VISTA 64 with latest drivers and it's not too bad for me now. it's not as good as i had it running xp with 160series drivers but it will have to do for me now. but I'm a little picky too and probably pay a little too much attention when flying in FSX when there's a hiccup instead of just playing the game.

well if you get the card this weekend then congrats on the new card and enjoy and report your experiences.
yxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-08, 11:19 PM   #1867
Llamalama

I'm very close to getting the 260 as well. Really interested to hear your opinion on this. My 8800 have the same stutters when using the latest driver. It's a pain in the ##@$$ having to change driver everytime you want to fire up FS. Maybe this might be sorted in the 180 driver soon but then again...
Old 10-07-08, 11:27 PM   #1868
sillyeagle
sillyego

Ok I ordered an EVGA GTX260 core 216 Superclocked model, as they seem to be on par with a GTX280 when clocked to the max, and I should have it in a couple days, so I'll report back.

As a funny side note I decided to check the size of my fraps folder because my HDD was constantly thrashing when I opened it, and it was 7.75GB.
EVGA Intel X58

Old 10-09-08, 01:57 PM   #1869
JT8D-9A
unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by omzig View Post
Me Again

Had a few emails asking about why i pulled my DX10 water normal & what they looked like in action so here a short movie showing how a the newest (not released yet)tweaked up set looks

http://www.vimeo.com/1857523

Seems the vimeo conversion has reduce the quaility a little and made it a bit darker that the original upload was still it gives an idea of how i looks in action,i'll try and get a HD video record for the time i release this newer set

Laters
Steve
Hi Steve, that looks fantastic!
And thanks for your latest EC-135 repaint! Looks also great! I only changed the model and panel (P1).

Nils

Last edited by JT8D-9A; 10-19-08 at 08:23 AM.
JT8D-9A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-08, 03:13 PM   #1870
omzig
Comfortably Numb

Hey Nils

Thanks for dropping by real nice to see you here

I was gonna get around to posting that repaint over at SOH and suggest that ppl have a play with the pannel config,as i couldnt find any internal shots of N158BC i decide to stick with the medi vac version due to the medi markings on the rear foils

Im gonna be throwing up the versions of the water normals in that video over the weekend,they'll still be a beta release but there a little cleaner than the last set

Im really looking forward to the next version of FSWC because once thats out i can control the scale of each normal so we wont need massive 4096x4096 textures to get detailed waves as the default scaling is pretty massive (i posted a few shots at the FSWC site that show what its like)they need to be that big to get any small details in

Its been a while since i posted a non repaint or tweak shot so how about some FSX tallscreen action

Btw My AUVcoast guard EC-135 pack should be uploaded to RS/aussiex.org this weekend,its 5 diffrent regged paints based on my yellow/purple AVCG repaint but with diffrent markings based upon the locations of the bases around the OZ south and east coasts

Laters
steve
Old 10-10-08, 02:09 PM   #1871
SJA06
Higher Than A Kite

Hey gang - I need to get my Eurocopter back in FSX so I can grab this repaint of Steve's...it look fantastic, great job! That water is looking tasty too, and I love the ‘portrait’ shot.

I've just changed my card - a sideways move, but I just wanted the cheapest route to get 1gb of VRAM, as I was having loads of issues with saturating the frame buffer, which is the trouble when you run all these HD textures, as well as high-load scenery areas, such as VFR London and YMML. So I grabbed a 9800GT 1Gb for £100 to replace the 512MB 8800GT, and although it’s basically the same card, it allows me to use whatever textures I want, with 8xS AA and 16xAF and not get the major issues that crop up when the VRAM runs out.

I only tend to use FSX at the moment, though I am working my way through Warhead, and have to odd blast on UT3, so it wasn’t a game performance-enhancing move, though strangely UT3 now uses almost 800Mb of VRAM, and performance is far higher than it was with the 8800.

I was looking at the 4750's, but the 1gb models were just a bit more than I could afford right now, though I'm sure this will do me until I can afford a full upgrade sometime next year.

Hope your new 260 does the business for you Silly – and those shots you asked about at orbx were taken around Kununuarra…I have been on my hols, so sorry I missed the question.
SJA06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-08, 03:01 PM   #1872
sillyeagle
sillyego

Here's a mini review of my new EVGA GTX260 core 216 Superclocked card.... First of all it runs FSX just like my 8800GTX did, and I still have stutters in full screen, which I was hoping I would not. As to the card it's self, after running Crysis for an hour it idles back down to 43 with the fan on auto, and down to 39 with the fan at 100.

Under load the card peaks at 60, both at the default speed of 576MHz, and at my overclocked speed of 710Mhz, which is playing Crysis Warhead using all enthusiast settings with the exception of shadows at gamer, 8xAF, and 2xAA @ 1600x1200. This was with the fan at 100%, and three case fans; 2 120's and an 80mm. I was getting 20-35fps with those settings. When running the fan on auto it peaks at 74.

The shader seems to be holding my core back, as I get artifacts at 1435, so I run at 1425 which limits my core clock to 710. It will run fine at 715/1430, but I don't want to push it too hard. My memory artifacts at 2550, so I run it at 2500. That's a final overclock of 710/1425/2500, which is not too bad.
EVGA Intel X58