Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-23-08, 05:37 PM   #2017
omzig
Comfortably Numb

Default Re: Flight Simulator X Full Version Feedback Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJA06 View Post
It should work very nicely, though you may not be able to run max settings and remain fluid, by general gaming standards. FSX and add-ons are best placed on a seperate HDD to your OS, so another drive would be an idea if you intend to use FSX with and be serious about it.
Agreed & if you want to see what FSX should have looked like download the Orbx tasmaina demo

also FSX is much like oblivion in that both dev's did a pretty half asses job which a lot of freeware & payware dev's have since fixed (as much as they can)

Have'nt been simming much due to a lack of freetime & fallout 3 being more of a draw for that freetime hehe

that said im Midway through another 152 HD repaint though,heres a stright from FSX linked thumb [warning 1920x1200]

BTW anyone of you Nv guys tried the new 180.48 im reading that ppl are reporting a nice 20% boost to FSX numbers,i had it out with an ATI beta tester over FSX & he say that ATI arent going to do anything to boost FSX's poor FPS number on ATI hardware as he/they consider it broken

So looks like i'll be back to Nv & picking up a GTX260 in a month or so because ATI is about 30% behind Nv in FSX atm (and even or infront in everything else with the new 216 SP 260) thats even before the reported boost from 180.48,is a shame as the 4870 is a rocking card in everyother game ive played but its drivers are way to CPU dependent for it to be of any use in FSX + i miss the 8Q AA,im just hopping the 30 second hitching in had on the 8800 in DX10 is gone?

Laters
steve
omzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-08, 10:25 PM   #2018
timest

Steve:

Since updating to the new 180's and the new DX9 update, I have seen on average a 15-20% boost, and believe me I've been testing my butt off

BTW.. you're repaints are off the charts!

Regards,
Tim
timest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-08, 05:56 AM   #2019
SJA06
Higher Than A Kite

I'm a bit too CPU limited, not to mention the fact that FSX is not easy to benchmark, to notice any real change. I took a static save point at Coffs Harbour pre new driver and measured 20fps before and 22 after, which I would say is within margin of error and too close to call. I'm now running the 180.70 beta which seems much the same. Something I'm not getting after my format and full Windows and FSX reinstall is the 'unlimited' stutters - it all running like a dream [for now at least]

It does seem a shame that ATI don't consider FSX worth the effort, maybe it just isn't a sexy enough title to bother with anymore and blame the sim rather than address their own shortcomings.

Looking forward to the new paint Steve - I'm not flying anything else at the moment...and if you want a pre-release test I'm game
SJA06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-08, 08:07 AM   #2020
Dreamweavernoob
Desperate code

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJA06 View Post
It should work very nicely, though you may not be able to run max settings and remain fluid, by general gaming standards. FSX and add-ons are best placed on a seperate HDD to your OS, so another drive would be an idea if you intend to use FSX with and be serious about it.

Thank you.

Hopefully it will run okaish. I got 2x500gb hard drives for my birthday (got very good reviews) but im not sure how to install them in my current setup.
Dreamweavernoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-08, 01:22 PM   #2021
methimpikehoses

Anyone playing this on a 4870x2? I'm getting some weird hitching in the scenery...
Old 11-25-08, 03:04 PM   #2022
SJA06
Higher Than A Kite

Sorry methimpikehoses, no experience myself, but FSX can hitch with the very best hardware.

Would you believe it REX has GONE GOLD - so it may see a release before the end of the week...just maybe.

I see vapour trails disappearing before my very eyes

Well done Tim & Co - I look forward to seeing what it can do.
Old 11-25-08, 04:06 PM   #2023
sillyeagle
sillyego

Quote:
Originally Posted by methimpikehoses View Post
Anyone playing this on a 4870x2? I'm getting some weird hitching in the scenery...
I was getting hitching on both my 8800 and GTX260, but after a clean install of FSX it was gone.
EVGA Intel X58
Old 11-25-08, 04:12 PM   #2024
methimpikehoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyeagle View Post
I was getting hitching on both my 8800 and GTX260, but after a clean install of FSX it was gone.
I was thinking it was about time for FSX clean install number 3.

Old 11-27-08, 09:35 AM   #2025
SJA06
Higher Than A Kite

Default Re: Flight Simulator X Feedback Thread

Looks like REX may see the light of day today - it weighs in at 4.04Gb, which is a big download and I'm surprised it didn't compress to a smaller size. I will give it a go, but I imagine it will take a few hours to get.

Will it live up to the hype I wonder? - I guess we shall find out soon[ish]

Hey, Steve - if your looking. I would be great if you could find a UK registered 152 to work your magic on. I will then be able to fly around the Eng and Wales in a correctly liveried aircraft rather than the Oz ones I tend to use.

There must be some nice ones out there...no pressure though

EDIT: Just had to add these OZx Grand Canyon shots - what a fantastic area of photoscenery!

Looks even more impressive in motion.

Old 11-27-08, 12:44 PM   #2026
SJA06
Higher Than A Kite

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
Damn! That looks stunning! Do you have a link for that?

What's the estimated price for REX?
Sorry mate, I should have included the link http://www.aussiex.org/index/news.php - they have just released a 10m mesh by Holger Sandmann to go with it.

REX will be $39 USD - 27 GBP
Old 11-28-08, 12:48 AM   #2027
sillyeagle
sillyego

Impressive Grand Canyon shots! Here's my attempt. No REX yet.

EVGA Intel X58
Old 11-28-08, 02:44 AM   #2028
sillyeagle
sillyego

This came out pretty good. I don't really know anything about photoshop so I'm quite pleased with the little border I created.

EVGA Intel X58