Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-02-09, 03:34 PM   #2293
SJA06
Higher Than A Kite

Default Re: Flight Simulator X Feedback Thread

I have all but given up FSX and spending time on the PC in general recently - other things have taken my attention and are consuming my time, but I have invested too much to give it up completely. So here are a few shots around Palm Springs with Megascenery with some wonderful REX atmospherics.

Sometimes less is more and I enjoy FSX more when I don't do it so much it seems.

SJA06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-09, 05:58 PM   #2294
omzig
Comfortably Numb

Wow great shots mark glad to hear your still hangging with FSX i was gonna PM you and ask how things were going as we hadnt seen much of you

I took a quick flight myself the other night around moreton island just over from brisbane i took it slow and low really enjoyed it for at least and hour,before that the only time id spent in FSX the past month or so was checking out my Bell HD repaints!

Hoping to get the Bell Package out for this coming weekend,one of the repainters is acually based in australia and as you may know there having a bit of a heatwave at the moment so i can understand why its hard for him to finish up his work

Any hows thats giving me time to finish up the 3rd and 4th repaints in my expansion pack

Cheers
steve
omzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-09, 10:27 PM   #2295
sillyeagle
sillyego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearclaw View Post
Whoever has the most add-on's - Reformat and re-load everything for us. swift reply. kthxbai.

Done! Got my new i7 system up and running this weekend with Windows 7, so I formatted the RaptorX with 64k to use as my FSX drive, and put my OS on a 500GB Baracuda. Got it stable at 4GHz w/1.375v and 1600 7-7-7-20, though it does run quite hot, and I've got the best i7 air cooler you can get. Temps running Prime will hit mid 70's on the CPU with mid 80's on the cores, and that's with my case cover off. When running the Everest stability test I stay below 70 on the CPU and below 80 on the cores. When running FSX it stays around 55 on the CPU and 65 on the cores. Since that's my most demanding CPU app I should be fine where I am.

I'll report back when I've done more testing but so far FSX is a bit messed up. For one thing it won't let me select any resolutions higher than what I currently have my desktop set to, and in addition the sim is very blurry, like the old blur filter AA mode I've seen, or like an LCD in non-native resolution. I also get tons of rendering errors, such as autogen spikes, and other garbage on the screen. Another problem is HORRIBLE hitching when the framerate is unlocked, even when blazing along at 75fps. I tried DX10 mode and it was a bit of a joke, as the rendering issues doubled, flashing runways, etc, and the water textures are not to my liking at all, not to mention the AA issues.

As to FSX performance in general it's quite spectacular. After an untweaked new install when flying over downtown Chicago using a 30fps lock with autogen maxed out it stayed pegged at 30fps the whole time, and no blurries what so ever. Unlocked it ran between 35 and 75fps, not going below 35 at any point, though mostly 40-75fps. Again this was with autogen full right, though I did have AI, bloom, and ground scenery shadows off, with mid 2.x water. I'll get FTX installed tonight so that I can compare against my standardized settings at Coffs Harbour to get a direct comparison with my Q6600 system.

As to Windows 7 performance in general, it's also quite spectacular. I've never seen an OS run so smooth before, or look so pretty. I'm blown away by the fact I can navigate to any folder on any drives, even my image folders with gigs upon gigs of images, and every thumbnail image is instantly displayed, as if every thumbnail on the system has been cached in memory. Considering the fact I get essentially zero drive activity after boot, I don't know how it possible to have thousands of thumbnails appear instantly. I even tried jumping into folders buried way back so it didn't know where I was heading, and regardless they were all on tap. With XP I would have to wait up to a minute or so for all the thumbs to load in my bigger folders.

@ Mark and Steve, that's some awesome imagery!

PS I had to write this post twice. The first time I got a log in prompt when clicking submit, so had to do it over.
EVGA Intel X58
Old 02-03-09, 12:01 AM   #2296
WCG

I just installed FSX, I have a 3.16GHZ Core 2 Duo, BFG Geforce GTX 260 MaxCore, 2GB of ram. I know I"m low on ram, but any suggestions on any tweaks to make it look better/run better?

How about suggestions for flying, I suck hard lol, I bought one of those Saitek X52 thingy's, hopeful that it'd do the flying lol, not a chance.
WCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-09, 02:29 AM   #2297
sillyeagle
sillyego

2GB is fine, which is all I had until now. Even with 6GB only 2.2GB is in use, so more than 2GB is not needed for good performance.
EVGA Intel X58
Old 02-03-09, 03:56 AM   #2298
sillyeagle
sillyego

Just a quick update. After installing FTX, REX, and tweaking the CFG I must say I'm amazed as the results. Not sure what the problem was before but it seems to be running nicely now, and all the issues I mentioned are mysteriously gone. So the blurred render is resolved, the autogen spiking is resolved as well as the other garbage I was seeing on screen, the issue where pushing forward on the stick caused the sim to change views is resolved, I now have all resolutions available, and the problem with the hitching also appears to be resolved.

I had a chance to test my little benchmark scene at Coffs Harbour, and I can hardly believe how good this new system runs. For one thing running with the framerate unlocked on this system is just as glass smooth and stutter free as it was with the framerate locked on the old one. That alone is worth it, as that smoothness is the main reason to lock, well that combined with reduction of blurries, which brings me to point two. With this rig texture loading with the framerate unlocked is now far superior to anything I've ever seen, as I stayed at the highest LOD at all times. So given the fact an unlocked framerate produces a glass smooth stutter free experience and also maintains the highest ground texture LOD, I see no reason to even use the frame lock, as it still produces a huge perf hit.

Seems now that the system buses are freed up the engine can finally get some work done. The virtual cores have no activity in task manager, so I doubt the texture loading and smoothness improvements come from working 4 more threads, but it performs just exactly as I would expect a 5GHz Core 2 with eight cores to perform. Just exactly like that, and with that said I'm easily seeing a 50% gain on minimums, where it counts, which is comparing the lowest number of 16fps on the 3GHz Core 2 Quad's Coffs Harbour pass with the 3GHz Core 2 Quad, to 24fps on this one.
EVGA Intel X58
Old 02-03-09, 04:21 AM   #2299
Redeemed

Hey ya'll!

Do you guys use Joysticks for this game? I used to play the older Flight Sims, back to the 3.0 (or whatever the version was for DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.1), up through Flight Sim 2000. Just lost interest after that.

Anyhow, been really interested to try this game. Now that I have a rig that should run it rather decently I'm really interested to take it for a spin. I'll be near some larger shopping areas during my trip this week, so I might just pick it up if I find it priced right.

My question, though, is if any of you know whether or not my Sytek Cyborg Evo joystick would work with this game or not. Would really love to use it. Paid $50 for it retail some years ago, and for the past several years it's not gotten much use- just been in storage. Would love to try it with this game.

Thanks.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-09, 04:32 AM   #2300
timest

A few shots
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2009-2-1_23-5-34-647.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	186.1 KB
ID:	35387  Click image for larger version

Name:	2009-2-1_23-5-48-45.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	35388  Click image for larger version

Name:	2009-2-1_23-33-16-400.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	35389  Click image for larger version

Name:	2009-2-2_0-46-59-400.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	226.2 KB
ID:	35390  Click image for larger version

Name:	2009-2-2_0-49-54-862.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	162.9 KB
ID:	35391  

timest is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-09, 12:13 PM   #2301
Bearclaw

Is anyone having any issues with FSX in W7?
Old 02-03-09, 01:47 PM   #2302
Sabadin

Nah, works fine here so far. Granted I'm only running it stock so far, no add ons in my W7 boot.
Sabadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-09, 02:03 PM   #2303
Bearclaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabadin View Post
Nah, works fine here so far. Granted I'm only running it stock so far, no add ons in my W7 boot.
Ya, I am running stock as well.

FSX seems to be having some issues with randomly shutting down. At first I thought it was overheating of various PC components, but upon further investigation, it isn't.

It seems to have issues with ILS approaches. Once you intercept the localizer, it shuts down all of a sudden. I have tried multiple times at multiple airports. I suppose it could be a corrupt install of the game, not sure.
Old 02-03-09, 09:06 PM   #2304
sillyeagle
sillyego

The Wings of Power III P-47 is now released.

http://www.a2asimulations.com/p47_razorback.html

EVGA Intel X58