Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-06-09, 12:17 AM   #2317
WCG

Default Re: Flight Simulator X Feedback Thread

Is it normal for your big plane to start doing loops and what not if you accidently set the autopilot altitude to 0? I want from 22000 ft to ground in 20 seconds.. oops. Poor passenger thought he was having a heart attack....little did he know.
WCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-09, 09:59 PM   #2318
sillyeagle
sillyego

I think they need to build a safty catch into the system. Like with fighter jets for example, the jet will prevent the pilot from pulling a lethal amount of G's, being the plane can handle many more than the pilot can, and that's even with old school stuff like the F/A-18.

The BBC has picked up the ACES closure....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7874937.stm
EVGA Intel X58
Old 02-07-09, 05:42 AM   #2319
omzig
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyeagle View Post

The BBC has picked up the ACES closure....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7874937.stm
Yep i saw that while checking the weather for my area i love this quote

"Flight sims were one of the few things about Microsoft people actually liked."

I really dont think that M$'s LIVE vision for flightsim is gonna pan out as no matter how i approach the idea either as a pay to fly service an MMO kind deal or even a cloud/metauniverse kinda service i find myself running into barriers than make me say,i wouldnt want to use a flight sim like that because 1. 2. 3.

i think M$ are pissed that FS has such a massive 3rdparty dev following and that all those dev's are making money off of there sim and there not seeing a cent of that money other than the outlay for the core game/sim it must totally gal m$ that ppl are paying 1000's of dollars for addons over the life time of FS and there only see the first $50 or so,i think a live service would be M$'s attempt to try and control this somewhat and make 3rd party addons like DCL all dev's having to pass through them and them taking a slice of the profits....

If that goes ahead it will totally kill freeware as well as any app for FS that thinks outside the box....think tile proxy......the upside is that dev's might have to release less buggy products as M$ would have to cert everything before its released but i can live with a few bugs in 3rd party addons so i can sim the way i want to sim,M$'s one size fits all mentality (if that is what there going for)is gonna kill FS

BTW if your wondering where the Bell HD addon is i had it all ready built an installer for it and everything the only step you would have had to take is to add the paint entires to the aircraft.cfg file like any other repaints or copy over a default modded config if you just wanted the HD paints aswell as the aces defaults.......but now its been taken into the ORBX fold and the installer is beeing modded to auto add the entries to the aircraft.cfg on install
& there's been a little delay in getting that setup (time zones are a ***** when the dirft is 12+hours) im not sure that its worth the delay for what amounts to about 30 seconds of changing a few config files but there you go,from what i can tell it might be monday now

laters
steve
omzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-09, 06:52 AM   #2320
Tym

Thumbs down Re: Flight Simulator X Feedback Thread

At first, I thought that the noises MS has been making (new LIVE flight sim experience and all that BS) were just damage control in response to the huge backlash from the community that followed the ACES announcement. Now, I'm beginning to suspect that they had been planning a shift in that direction for some time, and that this shift was impossible to make with the current team (dedicated to a realistic, enthusiast flight sim). Now, with the job postings, etc., it seems that they are indeed rebuilding the team from scratch for a new, dumbed-down vision of the product. Plus, I think Steve's comments on MS wanting to control/benefit from the add-on marketplace are spot on.

Unfortunately, this seems to tie in with the general trend to 'optimize' the market, that is to focus solely on the mainstream and gradually kill niche sectors... With strategy games, this happened a long time ago, and quality titles now only come from small, independent devs (like Battlefront), while larger companies only market mindless click-fest RTS titles, milking old franchises with repetitive iterations of more and more of the same under new names and with slightly updated graphics . Well, I'll just stop the ranting before I really get going .

The saddest thing is the current state of FSX (piss-poor DX9 performance, broken DX10), because in other respects, I could live with this version for years (especially with the terrain/graphics addons). With the scale and complexity of the product, I don't think we are likely to see anything comparable coming from a small independent dev studio, and - realistically - there's no chance of MS releasing the code base...
i5-2500K with Thermalright SI-128, Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD4-B3, 8GB Kingston HyperX 1600, Palit GeForce GTX 460 Sonic Platinum, Samsung 275T Plus 27" + Samsung 943T 19", Auzentech X-Fi Prelude + Rotel RA-820AX + Kef Q1, Razer DeathAdder mouse, Antec P190 case, 60GB OCZ Vertex for OS/FSX + 2 x 640GB WD Black RAID1, Plextor PX-880SA DVD-RW; OS: Windows 7 Ultimate x64; FSX gear: Saitek X52 Pro + Rudder Pedals + Yoke System
Tym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-09, 11:54 AM   #2321
$n][pErMan
III%

Send a message via AIM to $n][pErMan

X-Plane is far better than FSX I have come to see FSX and just a broken half finished game. Its fun now and then.... but what stupid coder did not take advantage of video cards with this damn game?!?! I noticed almost no difference between my GTX 285 and 8800GTX in this game... pathetic when all my other games had a huge difference.
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 @ 3.51GHz (390 x 9 / 1.39v) | ASUS P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP LGA 775 Intel P965 (1236 BIOS) | OCZ GOLD 8GB (2GB x 4) DDR2 PC2-8500 Dual Channel (4-4-4-12 780Mhz/1.95V 1:1 Ratio) | EVGA GeForce GTX 770 DUAL SuperClocked 4GB (Currently @ 1240MHz Core / 7112MHz Memory) | Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS | Zalman CNPS9700 LED Ultra Quiet CPU Cooler | Samsung SSD 840 Series 256GB | ASUS ProArt 24in Widescreen LED 1920 x 1200 | Samsung DVD-RW-DL 18x Burner w/ lightscribe| SILVERSTONE OP650 ATX12V / EPS12V 650W Power Supply | AOpen 5.1 Surround sound system | Windows 7 Pro x64
100% Orthos Stable!
$n][pErMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-09, 02:21 PM   #2322
omzig
Comfortably Numb

X-plane is just diffrent it has as many flaws as FSX and & im sure that if it was doing as much mesh/rendering/shader effect wise as FSX is it would also be a lot slower than it is X-plane GFX wise is about on par with FS9 its max draw distance is about 1/3 of FSX's all its terrain and aircraft textures are about 1/2 the res and the aircraft have much low poly counts(dont get me started on the VC's)also it doesnt support normal mapping/spec mapping/env/chrome reflections for its aircraft or its autogen like FSX does....i cant say if the flight model is more "real" as i dont fly in RL but i can say i perfer FSX's FM as X-plane imo requires far tomuch user input and from what ive read online many RL pilots say the same thing X-Plane is far to jittery it has little 3rd party support and those 3rd party addons dont(imo)match the quality of the default FSX aircraft

X-Plane has a long way togo to match what FSX does let alone surpass it but since M$ dropped the ball with canning Aces its got a lot more ppl interested in it so im very interested in seeing what X-Plane X will look like
Old 02-09-09, 01:05 AM   #2323
sillyeagle
sillyego

EVGA Intel X58
Old 02-09-09, 06:08 AM   #2324
omzig
Comfortably Numb

Nice very nice....i wished all FSX 3rd party dev's UV/texture mapped to A2A's standard seems most are content to do an fs9 lvl job and push it out

Bell HD is final and a valid link should go live within the next few hours! one of the team members posted a link over orbx but there seems to have been a slit server glitch so as soon as that sorted you should be able to download and check them out

laters
steve

Old 02-09-09, 11:31 AM   #2325
omzig
Comfortably Numb

Hey guys

Due to the time dif between Oz and the UK we are having to wait for the info on the Bell HD pack to get added to the main download page by Jay the Ozx admin

But if you dont want to wait for that to go live just PM me and i'll send you an FTP link to the final RC2 installer

Cheers
steve
Old 02-09-09, 03:52 PM   #2326
omzig
Comfortably Numb

Bell206 HD Redux released!

http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?a...s&showfile=338

About dam time

Cheers
steve
Old 02-10-09, 06:59 AM   #2327
omzig
Comfortably Numb

Hey slaWter

Thanks for the feedback glad to hear you like them

I hope the installation was'nt to painful?i devised and built the installer along with all the the install doc's so im to blame if its a PITA to use

This package was infact ready togo on friday last week but we were offer an auto installer to which would palce all the entires in the aircraft.cfg for the end user...this it turns out didnt quite work to plan and a few bugs still needed to be iron out so rather than delay for another week or so we decided to go with the mannual entires install option...which it turns out was what ppl were asking for anyways as they dont like installers messing with there cfg files (myself inc)

Myself and AC have another 6 scheme's in the pipe which should pop up later this week early next

btw if anyone wondering where a lot of my Screenshots have gone i had to clean out my photobuck page due to it getting a little out of hand

laters
steve
Old 02-10-09, 07:53 AM   #2328
omzig
Comfortably Numb

Just got this shot back from one of my scheme beta tester guys seems it has a little colour tinting to give it that 70's look to match what i was going for with this scheme

This is the last scheme of mine for the First Bell HD expansion pack....

We are debating what to do next HD wise it will be one of the defaults again as we want to work at improving the core sim as we know that not everyone can afford masses of addons and the core models are sound and over looked by many ppl
i guess if 3rd party dev's want any HD work doing they can pay us for it hehe

Laters
steve