Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-23-09, 01:44 PM   #2365
sillyeagle
sillyego

Default Re: Flight Simulator X Feedback Thread

NuBee, I have mesh at 10, textures at 15, water at mid 2.x, autogen at very dense, and ground shadows off. Everything else is maxed out on that page.

As to the AF setting, as far as I know using the 14 value moves the primary thread from Core 0 to Core 1, but beyond that I don't know what all it does to improve performance, but I did notice after adding it I wasn't as likely o drop below my 30fps lock. I have not tried AF=15. I'll do that when I get home tonight.
EVGA Intel X58
Old 02-23-09, 03:28 PM   #2366
omzig
Comfortably Numb

Montana Glacier National Park 1.2mpx FREE!

http://blueskyscenery.com/GLACIER.html

Dam anyone got a megaupload account they want to share

laters
steve
omzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-09, 01:53 AM   #2367
sillyeagle
sillyego

Ok I've been testing AffinityMask for the last two hours, and I've got some pretty clear results. I did my initial testing with HT off, established my numbers, then enabled HT. The results with HT enable weren't as good, so I wasn't interested in exploring those.

Mainly I tested with AF=14, AF=15, and AF=Off. 15 and 14 gave camparable framerates, though 15 does in fact utilize more of the CPU, so it loads textures much better in extreme situations.

Something interesting I found is considerably better framerates when running my very first flight after loading FSX. Loading any flights after were always slower, with the same framerate drop. I listed numbers for the the first run, and restarted the sim for each test, and I tested at least three times on each setting on a hands off run using wide open throttle on P-47 where it starts high, dives down to trees, then back up to clouds. The flight started in a dive, so as it gained speed it pulled its self back up.

The way I reached peak CPU utilization was to go into 4x compressed time, which was again WOT in the P-47. When doing this is was easy to spot which AF setting loaded textures faster, and it was also easy to see the extra heat comming off the CPU, which confirms the extra work the CPU is doing.

AF=14
50% average CPU utilization mainly across 3 cores, 75% peak utilization.
43-45fps
Heavy blurries at 300mph x4

AF=15
60% average util over 4 cores, 100% peak. (hottest temps)
43-45fps
Light blurries at 300mph x4

AF=Off
60% average util over 4 cores, 100% peak
40-43fps
Light blurries at 300mph x4

So it looks like AF=15 is in fact the way to go. I had never really tested that one so thanks for prompting me to look into this. Blazing around in 4x time is pretty sweet, just watching the terrain go by while holding a highish LOD level.

The one downside to using the AffinityMask tweak is it causes the terrain system to drop the the lowest LOD when changing views, but I guess it's worth it. Maybe. lol
EVGA Intel X58
Old 02-24-09, 05:48 AM   #2368
NuBee
NuBee

Hmmm...Manhattan, it's nice, but it eats hardware with a big spoon on my system, I'm more pleased with Coffs Harbour. Maybe I also have the wrong light, the wrong time of day here.

Core i7 920@4.2 / Asus Rampage II Extreme / Noctua NH-U12P SE 1366 / 6GB Dominator GT PC3-16000 Triple Channel (CL 7-7-7-16-1T) / 2 x GTX680 SLI / X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro Series + Teufel Concept E Magnum 5.1 + 4xCanton/ 2x1Tb Samsung F3@Raid-0 / CoolermasterStackerSTC-T01 + 3xSilenX-Ixtrema120 + 2xS3NoiseBlocker + ZalmanZM-MFC1 Multi Fan Controller/Win7 x64
I'm not a signature,I'm just cleaning here

Last edited by NuBee; 08-23-12 at 06:05 AM.
NuBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-09, 03:35 PM   #2369
sillyeagle
sillyego

More Aerosoft Catalina preview pics by NickC, and an interesting quote from Aerosoft about how how much better professional modelers are than even the best FS developers. lol

Quote:
The big thing about this project is that we do not see it as a FSX project but as full blown games development. Steffan is not an FS developer but a professional modeler that we use for a FSX project. Let me explain that in another way. Recently we had to redo a FS airport scenery that was done by a VERY renowned and award winning FS developer. But when his modeling was worked on by trained and professional modelers we were astounded to find that we could get EXACTLY the same objects with 22% less polygons. Now the problem is that professionally trained modelers are even in this market very expensive and that they need high levels of project management from people that know FS.

Keep in mind that even though there are a lot of people who do FS addon development for a living you can count the people who did not start with it as a hobby on two hands (if not one). Steffan is not a FS addons developer, he is a high end modeler who worked on serious games. It's a total eye opener to work with him. It also explains why we now havew three full time professional developers working in our offices (though 80% of what they do is for the professional sims market).

Hope I don't piss of a lot of people, but 85% of current FSX addons could be 25% faster if they were done by people who did not have years (or even decades) of experience but 4 years of serious education. Now to make that scenery or aircraft look good means you got to be artistic as well. And to make it look good in FSX means you got to know the SDK of that sim front to back. I say there is no such developer at this moment. If I find him I will make a lot of money for Aerosoft. But we are getting close.

EVGA Intel X58
Old 02-24-09, 04:31 PM   #2370
omzig
Comfortably Numb

Woha there gonna catch some **** if the Cat is a frame hog! pitty they didnt employ the above mentality to the AS Bush hawk which pretty much had to go back in the hanger from day 1 becuase it was such a frame hog and even after an update i read its still below average for a GA.....still cant wait for the Cat
omzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-09, 07:01 PM   #2371
wildcard011

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyeagle View Post
Noctua NH-U12P SE1366, which is the best i7 air cooler on thr market. It handily beats every other cooler out there with only one of the two fans installed, so with both fans it's even better. The second fan takes off another 2-3C.

I'm running with Hyperthreading off to hit that speed, otherwise I can only hit 4.0GHz. i7's run extremely hot, much hotter than Core 2 due to Hyperthreading, but if you disable it they run much cooler than Core 2. Since FSX can't use hyperthreading it can be turned off, especially if you don't have any real need for it. From the tests I've seen only a handfull of apps benefit from it, while most show equal or reduced performance when HT is enabled.

Here's an informative post I have written detailing and overview of my thoughts on i7.....

First of all I would save your money on the 940 and get a 920. The yields on these chips are so good that the 940 and 965 are not much more likely to produce a better overclock. There's guys out there dropping $1000 on 965's only to find they only hit 4GHz with them, while you've got guys like me hitting 4.2GHz on 920's, which proves even the chips binned as 965's are for the most part no different in potential than the ones binned as 920's. Even at stock voltages(auto) you can get a 920 to 3.5-3.8GHz, and in my view there is no reason at all to not take advatage of the chips overclocking potential, as there is no possible way to damage your chip unless you are overvolting to extreme levels. Heck, even EVGA says 1.475v is fine for 24/7 use, and I only need 1.4v to hit 4.2GHz myself.

When getting a 920 your OC will almost certainly be limited by your QPI/BClock(FSB), which tops out at around 200MHz, so with the 21x multiplier you get with turbo mode enabled you'll end up with 4.2GHz, if your chip can take it. Without turbo you will have the 20x multiplier. Provided you buy an excellent MDB, you should be able to do 200MHz without even a voltage change. I'd go with EVGA my self, as they have written the best BIOS for overclocking. The way turbo mode works varies from one MBD maker to the next, and with an EVGA X58 you can be sure it will run the 21x multiplier anytime turbo is on, plus EVGA gives you their E-LEET OCing utility, which simply rocks.

Take a look at the EVGA X58 OCing guide:
http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=642527

As to performance, the best part for me is the fact blurries are now a thing of the past. Even with an unlocked framerate textures are snapped into the highest LOD at all times. The micro stutters seen even on a Core 2 Quad system are also a thing of the past. Overall framerate may not go up as much as one would hope, but i7 really brings up the minimum framerates, which is where it counts. Comparing to my 3.0GHz Core 2 Quad, I was seeing a full 50% gain on the minimum value on my benchmark run.

The one downside to my i7/Win7 rig is when running an unlocked framerate, I get horrible herky jerky stutters, not the FSX microstutters we have been living with, but strong jerks that seem to jerk the image 1/4 inch across my screen. This may be a driver issue with Win7, as not all i7 users report this. The solution is to run with a locked framerate, and even with a lock of 30fps, I'm able to stay pegged at 30 with no blurries or stutters of any kind using the kind of settings seen below.

Contrary to some, FSX is not Hyperthreading aware, so in fact it only uses 4 threads, despite the AffinityMask tweaks that make task manager appear as though 8 threads are running. NickN says he has confirmation from somebody at ACES that FSX will not utilize the virtual cores. For this reason I actually turn Hyperthreading OFF, which allows me to reach 4.2GHz, otherwise I can't go over 4.0GHz due to the heat. So by disabling HT I gained 200Mhz, and even with that gain my temps dropped 10-15C under load. I did see a very small lifting of minimum framerate values with HT enabled, though the gain I get from running my CPU/Memory at the higher speeds out weighs that. Since I've got HT disable I used the ussual quad core AF value of 14, which made a noticeable change than without.

If you are specifically looking for more frames around airports the clock speed of the CPU will be your main concern. i7 gives FSX a pipe wide enough to operate without uneeded frame drops and blurries, but if your goal is to push the raw framerate up in intense areas you'll have to push the clock speed up quite a bit. I'd say you need 3.5GHz to make i7 shine, so to make your puchase worth the investment aim for at least 3.5GHz w/ auto voltage.

When choosing a cooler I'd go for the Noctua NH-U12P SE1366, as it handily beats every other cooler on the market in every review I have read. In fact it beats all contenders with only one of its two fan in use. I only have one intalled right now, but will add the other soon. Not only is it the best at cooling, but it is also the most quiet, even with both fans installed.

My motherboard, memory, CPU, and cooler totalled only $820, which is pretty damn good for a 4.2GHz rig with 1600MHz CL7 memory. Check Newegg for an EVGA X58/i7 920 combo deal, as I was able to save $25 on that. Also check Newegg for 6GB OCZ Platinum 1600 CL7 which is down to about $150, and I paid $180 a few weeks ago.

So here's my system values and the cfg tweaks I have settled on after a couple weeks of testing.

200MHz w/ 21x = 4.190GHz CPU @ 1.4v
200MHz w/ 2:8 = 1600MHz memory using 7-7-7-18 1T timings.
Hyperthreading = Disabled

[DISPLAY]
TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=120

[TERRAIN]
TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=2000 //Set in-game autogen to very dense
TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=1700

[SCENERY]
SmallPartRejectRadius=3

[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=14

[BUFFERPOOLS]
PoolSize=70000000

Thanks for the detailed response. My proc, mb, mem and heatsink should be in by this Thursday. So I will set it up over the weekend. Can't wait :-)
wildcard011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-09, 08:00 PM   #2372
timest

Quote:
Originally Posted by omzig View Post
Montana Glacier National Park 1.2mpx FREE!

http://blueskyscenery.com/GLACIER.html

Dam anyone got a megaupload account they want to share

laters
steve
Very cool, thanks for the heads-up Steve.

Got them all downloaded and looks AMAZING.
timest is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-09, 01:48 AM   #2373
sillyeagle
sillyego

Well in addition to that, there's Frank's new one. It's 20cm to 1m resolution, and it seems he uses actual photos for parts. You have to email him and he'll send the links. It's about 1GB.

Announcement: available from quickly, the download of scene ORTLES-CEVEDALE-GRAN ZEBRU' . Scene in HI-RES of the Italian ALPS.
daifran@libero.it
My BLOG: Scenari Alpini per FSX

And here is an install guide courtesy of Nils at SOH forums.

Here is small guide for those who don't have the scenery:
1. search for "ItalVFR" at Flightsim.com and download trent1.zip - trent7.zip (all 7 files) and move all into one scenery folder and name it Trentino.

2. download sassolun.zip, croda.zip and tofane.zip from Flightsim.com and move them into a second folder named Trentino_High.

3. download the new scenery of Frank and move all files into one scenery folder named Ortles.

4. download the LOD11 V2 Mesh: http://c30s.alpes.gratisim.fr/ and move it into your Addon scenery\scenery folder.

5. add the three folders (1. Trentino, 2. Trentino_High, 3. Ortles) to your scenery library.

I use a special FSX.cfg for photosceneries (i switch via a batch file):

[Display]
TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=40
UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=26
[TERRAIN]
LOD_RADIUS=7.500000
MESH_COMPLEXITY=95
MESH_RESOLUTION=22
TEXTURE_RESOLUTION=29
AUTOGEN_DENSITY=3
DETAIL_TEXTURE=1
WATER_EFFECTS=4
TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=3000
TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=3000
SWAP_WAIT_TIMEOUT=15

Vehicles and ship traffic are disabled.
With that settings i get a perfect display without blurries and without any tricks (scenery refresh etc).
This area is really a huge gift
EVGA Intel X58
Old 02-26-09, 12:28 PM   #2374
NuBee
NuBee

Hey, new HD repaints for the Bell on aussiex.org!!!
Here one of it...

Core i7 920@4.2 / Asus Rampage II Extreme / Noctua NH-U12P SE 1366 / 6GB Dominator GT PC3-16000 Triple Channel (CL 7-7-7-16-1T) / 2 x GTX680 SLI / X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro Series + Teufel Concept E Magnum 5.1 + 4xCanton/ 2x1Tb Samsung F3@Raid-0 / CoolermasterStackerSTC-T01 + 3xSilenX-Ixtrema120 + 2xS3NoiseBlocker + ZalmanZM-MFC1 Multi Fan Controller/Win7 x64

Old 02-26-09, 12:30 PM   #2375
NuBee
NuBee

...and a second one, but there are more!!!

Old 02-26-09, 02:16 PM   #2376
sillyeagle
sillyego

Wow those are awesome, especially the black one.
EVGA Intel X58