Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-07-07, 11:33 PM   #229
Bearclaw

Default Re: Official Flight Simulator X Thread

Haha..tragic accident. No doubt because it is an airbus. That plane, compared the 737 is a lot harder to fly.
Old 04-07-07, 11:34 PM   #230
Bearclaw

As far as SP1 goes, will we be able to download it or do we have to buy it?
Old 04-07-07, 11:50 PM   #231
Bearclaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger
I like the mission where you get to follow OJ Simpson's SUV down the highway in the New Copter.
HAHAHA. I was going through this whole thread and this made me laugh my ass off.
Old 04-09-07, 05:53 PM   #232
sillyeagle
sillyego

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentkay
Great news! How big is the beta version of SP1?
SP1 will be a download of 200MB, and due to some difficult bugs there is now going to be a 2nd beta. First beta was to be two weeks, and that time has now passed, but there is no word on when the 2nd beta will be or how far back the release will be pushed. Probably won't see it until may now.
EVGA Intel X58
Old 04-09-07, 07:16 PM   #233
sillyeagle
sillyego

Here is some good info which was released moments ago from the developers regarding SP1 and its Multi Core support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Taylor

FSX SP1 News:Intel quote

Today Intel announced their new 2.93G QX6800 Quad Core processor here.

As part of this press release, Aces Studio participated with a quote about our improved multi-core support in SP1. The quote stated

“The latest version of Microsoft Flight Simulator* X, Service Pack One (SP1), due out later this month, is a great match for the extreme multi-core processing delivered by the new Intel Core 2 Extreme quad-core processor”

and

“Flight Sim X SP1 greatly increases multicore utilization and will scale as more threads are available leading to reduced load times as well as frame rate improvements and greater visual complexity during flight. The Flight Simulator team at Microsoft is pleased to work with Intel to provide our end users with a great gaming experience."

And I wanted to take some time and explain what this means for FSX and FSX flyers.

Our multi-core support will take advantage of both 2 and 4 cores today, and more cores in the future when they become available via a config setting. This is for both Intel and AMD processors.

At load time, we run the terrain loading on threads across the cores. This can result in reduced load times, the actual percent reduction can vary but it could be reduced by as much as 1/3.

At render time, we run the terrain texture synthesis on threads across the cores. During flight on multi-core machines, as terrain and terrain textures are loaded you will notice significant multi-core usage. As all tiles are loaded, the multi-core usage will fall off, this is expected. As the terrain is re-lit, approximately every minute, you will see multi-core usage increase. As you bank and load terrain tiles, or as you fly forward and force a load of more terrain tiles, you will see the multi-core usage increase.

At render time, we now perform more extensive batching of objects to reduce our API Draw calls. The batch rebuilds are also performed on a thread and scheduled on cores.

For those of you on single core machines, we did do some performance work to benefit you as well. The batching work will help even on a single core. Plus we made some changes to animations to make them perform better and we modified how we draw trees to reduce API SetTexture calls.

So we really tried to hit all the wickets with our performance work. I still don’t want to make any final FPS gain claims, and will stick with my conservative 20%. We expect it to be more, but we need to get Beta2 out and see where we are.

As far as the release date for SP1, we need to get Beta2 out and see what remains. The last day of April is still possible, but any significant Beta2 bugs will cause us to fix them and delay – we want SP1 to be right for the community and are not tied to a date.

Note - hyperthreaded is not multi-core. Our current plan is to treat HT machines as single-core since we noticed extensive collisions between threads which caused stutters.
EVGA Intel X58
Old 04-09-07, 08:42 PM   #234
SH64
MAXIMUM TECH

Great news indeed ... i know lots of people will enjoy this update

- "My name is RAM and my tank is full"

http://warhawk64nv.mybrute.com/ <-- pupils go thaarrr! Or,
http://silenthunter64.mybrute.com
SH64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-07, 09:55 PM   #235
sillyeagle
sillyego

Phil is also saying his intentionaly conservative 20% performance boost will come regardless of how many cores you have, so the muti core stuff is in addition to that. Should be pretty sweet patch for sure.
EVGA Intel X58
Old 04-09-07, 09:59 PM   #236
methimpikehoses

Wow, I hope it's that good.

Old 04-10-07, 12:06 AM   #237
sillyeagle
sillyego

Here is an interersting post from Phil for those interested. Its a response as to why they were able to pull off a 20% performance increase with just 6 months of work, and why the work was not included at release time....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Taylor
Bits and pieces here and there were surely thought of before. For instance Adam was right there wanting to multi-thread the terrain engine and had ideas.

But the implementation is new and has certainly been a learning experience. Its been solid work since Nov from the Graphics and Terrain team. The work includes at least:
1)enabled skinning for more objects,
2)done more work on the LOD system,
3)batched more objects to reduce Draw calls,
4)moved batch rebuilding to threads,
5)optimized tree rendering to reduce SetTexture calls,
6)optimized the UI rendering a bit,
7)moved DEM loading to threads,
8)moved terrain texture synthesis ( the process itself is documented in Adams' "Global Terrain Technology for Flight sim paper at http://fsinsider.com/Community/Devel...+Simulator.htm, see the bit about the layers and texture synthesis ) to threads,
9)tried to coalesce as much shader state as possible
10)front-end texture loader loads full mips when it doesnt need to
11)removed redundant elevation queries when scenery complexity is low

there are a few others, but that is what I can write from memory without searching the tracking db.

And other devs have contributed as well, when you see the list of bugs fixed you will know what we put into this release.

Senior PM, Graphics and Terrain
Aces Studio, MGS
EVGA Intel X58
Old 04-11-07, 11:13 PM   #238
methimpikehoses

Anyone else get the glitch where road traffic starts and stops?
Old 04-11-07, 11:41 PM   #239
sillyeagle
sillyego

Only found one reference to that. One guys said setting the fps slider to unlimited fixed that for him, the other said its just becuase its loading scenery, and once its loaded into mem the traffic flows smoothly.
EVGA Intel X58
Old 04-12-07, 01:39 PM   #240
methimpikehoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyeagle
Only found one reference to that. One guys said setting the fps slider to unlimited fixed that for him, the other said its just becuase its loading scenery, and once its loaded into mem the traffic flows smoothly.
I had the FPS set to unlimited, and I think it is from loading scenery. I have 4GB and a 8800GTX though so I'm surprised it's a problem. It could be that my pagefile in Vista is set up incorrectly. I probably won't put too much time into ironing out every glitch with the SP1 on the way.

*crosses fingers*