Higher Than A Kite

Default Re: Official Flight Simulator X Thread

Lovin my Hawaiian holiday

SJA06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-07, 04:33 PM   #458
BirdDog Pilot

SJA06,

Very nice pictures. What kind of settings do you have? Resolution/texutre details? Looks like your blurries are much less than mine. Any changes to your config files?

The hawaii scenery is amazing isn't it!
BirdDog Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-07, 06:17 PM   #459
SJA06
Higher Than A Kite

BirdDog Pilot my basic setting are below - aircraft settings are at max, traffic and weather are at medium, and visability is set either to 20 or 30 miles. I sometimes use bloom but find the hit a bit much at times.

I find running upto 1280x1024 makes little differance to the frame rate, but my (rubbish) monitor will only display it a 60hz so I run a lower res to stop me getting a headache.

I'm running a few tweaks at the moment, one of them highly experimental and just things picked up from other places.

So I'm testing a really high Texture_Bandwidth_mult of 4000 [default = 40] a few people have claimed very good results from this, but for me the dury is still out - dosn't seem to be causing issues though and maybe [just maybe] it is forcing terrain to load better???

Hawaii added the Fibre_frame_time_fraction tweak to my cfg [set at 0.33] so I left it and have since upped it to 0.39

Added bufferpools to the cfg as below
[Bufferpools]
Poolsize=7000000
default is [hidden] at 4000000. Pushing this too high will corrupt the aircraft graphics.

Added to the [DISPLAY.Device.your graphics card] section of the cfg.
Mipbias=6 this should help to sharpen distant terrain, but clamp the negative LOd biad to prevent shimmering or use a lower value.

I also use nhancer to create a profile for FSX forcing it to use highest quality settings, inc v-sync on to stop tearing.

My aim with any tweaks is to improve terrain texture loading (as FSX can be slow at loading the full 1.2m resolution of photoscenery) and maximize the overall visual quality.

So thats it really I seem to get decent frame rates and little or nothing in the way of blurries on a fairly moddest PC...try all tweaks at your own risk though.

Old 09-20-07, 01:40 AM   #460
sillyeagle
sillyego

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3dude
silly u mention zooming out form the plane to make it look better. can u take some during actual playing?
Not sure if you want photo scenery or default, so here is a selection, all of which are at zoom levels I normally fly with.

EVGA Intel X58
Old 09-20-07, 03:01 AM   #461
m3dude

thx, doesnt look worse at all imo, looks just as good as the others. the big difference seems to be the photoscenery
m3dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-07, 04:53 AM   #462
SJA06
Higher Than A Kite

Pulling out does sharpen things up, but with 1.2m photosceney it's supprising how close you can get before it degrades...and with the 5m mesh you get with Horizon the scenery is never flat.

If you join the Horizon forums you can pick up this great little freebee - The Aeroprakt A22 Foxbat and great little plane for VFR flying.

Old 09-20-07, 12:27 PM   #463
Lith1um

In case anyone is interested the Red Bull Air Race Series is racing in San Diego this weekend. (the 22nd)

The Reno races were last week and the results were deadly. 3 seperate accidents with 3 seperate deaths. Now that's an extreme sport.
Lith1um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-07, 03:16 PM   #464
m3dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter
The zoom setting makes a huge difference imo. With the default value ground textures right in front of you are very blury.

Good thing is that the game is still playable with a zoomed out view.
seems to only be a problem with the default fsx textures

Old 09-20-07, 06:36 PM   #465
sillyeagle
sillyego

Quote:
seems to only be a problem with the default fsx textures
I disagree. You seem to be basing that off other peoples screenshots and not off you own observations in game.

To me defaults are much better close up than photo scenery, which is why I have only purhcased one photo scenery pack. I MUCH prefer default textures unless I am flying quite high, and I am ussually found below tree top level. Photo scenery hardly has any autogen, if it even has any autogen.

EVGA Intel X58
Old 09-20-07, 07:05 PM   #466
m3dude

are those default fsx textures? those shots dont look good at all to me
Old 09-20-07, 07:25 PM   #467
sillyeagle
sillyego

Quote:
are those default fsx textures? those shots dont look good at all to me
Thats the Hawaii scenery at default zoom. Those shots were taken by slaWter and reposted by me, and they are for demonstration purpses only, as my game looks much better than that, even at default zoom, as you have seen. Here's one he took after my recommendation to zoom out.

EVGA Intel X58
Old 09-21-07, 03:53 PM   #468
SJA06
Higher Than A Kite

I took this shot a 300 feet [not zoomed out] and shows that while the textures are getting a little blurry the detail of the mesh you get with this photoscenery makes a big difference, as there is a lot going on in these sand dunes. Also having 'land detail textures' checked helps as it adds a generic grain over the 1m textures giving an illusion of more detail, so it's worth making sure that option is ticked.

Whatever issues remain I think FSX is a remarkable product...it's scope is unrivalled by any other PC title IMO - and I certainly see no reason to cling on to FS9 when detail like this is attainable.