Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-19-07, 12:28 PM   #637
Bearclaw

Default Re: Flight Simulator X Full Version Feedback Thread

Wow, awesome screenshots from everyone. Glad to see this thread is still alive with some FS and FSX enthusiasts.

If I still had it installed on my system, I would post some stuff but my system way too old for this game.
Old 11-19-07, 05:40 PM   #638
Sabadin

Wow, where did you get that tiger meet skin for the hornet?
Sabadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-07, 05:57 PM   #639
SJA06
Higher Than A Kite

Lovin this F/A-18

Acceleration! oh yes

SJA06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-07, 10:41 PM   #640
sillyeagle
sillyego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabadin
Wow, where did you get that tiger meet skin for the hornet?
http://www.captainsim.com/

Captain Sim was contracted by ACES Studio to create the models for the Acceleration F/A-18, so they decided to release a few advanced models with loadouts and animations.

It comes with a load manager as well as an animation manager, so you can add/remove the weapons while in flight or on the runway, and the weapons are drawn on in realtime. Same with the animations, just click the button and watch the ammo belt roll out, etc.

Its a pretty cool package, but costs $30. I was dissapointed to find out the afterburner effects are not the same as the default F/A-18, as Captain Sim uses thier own AB effects. The problem with this is the multistage AB was a key feature, and with the CS models, the AB is either on or off, with no stages.
EVGA Intel X58
Old 11-21-07, 03:24 PM   #641
sillyeagle
sillyego

Some comprehensive benchmarking was done by Gary(RESET MCP ALT) over at Avsim.com.

Please visit avsim for Gary's complete commentary.

http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?...id=31320&page=

1. SP1 gives just over double the performance of RTM and SP2 adds another 10% with DX9 on Vista 64
8. A 50% CPU overclock translates to a 34% performance gain, which is an efficiency factor of 68%, on both OSs
9. Running 1066MHz FSB versus 1600MHz FSB results in neglible performance difference (<0.5%) on Vista 64

EVGA Intel X58
Old 11-21-07, 07:08 PM   #642
Lith1um

Silly, did you get GEX yet?

My pc is down until my 9650 arrives friday. I'm deffinately gonna buy GEX, it's priced quite nicely imo. USA and Canada for $29.

http://gex.flight1.net/

Post some screenies if you got it.
Lith1um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-07, 10:44 PM   #643
sillyeagle
sillyego

I'm not sure if I will get that, as I don't do any cross country flying. I tend to pick areas that stand out visually with lots of features, etc, and fly in those locations. So the places I like to fly already look good, but for somebody who cruises cross country I know GEX would make a big difference.

I'm also somewhat worried that it would change the look of some of the places I have gown to like flying in. Maybe when you get it if I give you some coordinates you can post of shots of the locations I like, and if it looks better, maybe I'll pick it up my self.
EVGA Intel X58
Old 11-24-07, 11:26 PM   #644
Lith1um

http://www.simforums.com/forums/foru....asp?TID=23630

Tim Fuchs posted some Ground Environment X screenshots.

Man those ground textures look nice and I love the way the autogen buildings are meticulously placed. I'll deffinately buy it.

The cloud textures in his shots are problably from REX since Tim is the author of REX.

http://www.realenvironmentxtreme.com/

Old 11-26-07, 12:44 PM   #645
Lith1um

Damn I really like GEX. The high res textures look sharp and detailed, it really adds alot imo.

The color pallet is subdued, not having alot of saturation. Some people were complaining about it, but I just double checked my monitor calibration and added 12 percent digital vibrance and it looks awesome imo.

The autogen is the best feature imo. It's lined up so naturaly with the tiles that it looks almost like photo terrain. It just blows away the default placements, the area around my home field looks more realistic imo. They optimized their autogen object selection and textures to improve frame rates, I can run higher settings than default.

I'll post some screenies from your coordinates if you like.
Old 11-26-07, 12:59 PM   #646
$n][pErMan
III%

Send a message via AIM to $n][pErMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyeagle
Well.... I finally got my SP1/SP2 blurries fixed!!!

The first step was to change systems, as it seems the main issue I was having did not carry over, and I no longer flew over a blurry mess.

Even with the dual core texture loading was still not what it was in the RTM version on a single core, so step two was a few cfg tweaks. I set a 10MB buffer pool, set texture bandwidth multiplier to 45, and set fiber frame fraction time to .40, with a frame rate lock of 25 or 27.

Now I have crisp textures nearly 100% of the time, even when flying the F-18 around in low speed manouvers. The only problem I see now it an occasional glitch where all the textures unload when changing views.

I'm actually quite amazed at well FSX-SP2 performs on my new rig. I can pan around the plane in spot view and its 100% smooth, with not a single stutter. My framerate stays locked at 27fps nearly all the time, with occasional drops to 23.

Here I am cruising around, and as you can see the textures look awesome. I'm able to max all the scenery sliders, with high 2.x water, and very dense autogen, while holding a constant 27fps over the european scenery see below the P-51.

It's been awhile sense I have touched this game, but I just got the expansion pack the other day I am wondering what I need to change in the cfg file to keep the blurries away for good!
Intel® Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 @ 3.51GHz (390 x 9 / 1.39v) | ASUS P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP LGA 775 Intel P965 (1236 BIOS) | OCZ GOLD 8GB (2GB x 4) DDR2 PC2-8500 Dual Channel (4-4-4-12 780Mhz/1.95V 1:1 Ratio) | EVGA GeForce GTX 770 DUAL SuperClocked 4GB (Currently @ 1240MHz Core / 7112MHz Memory) | Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS | Zalman CNPS9700 LED Ultra Quiet CPU Cooler | Samsung SSD 840 Series 256GB | ASUS ProArt 24in Widescreen LED 1920 x 1200 | Samsung DVD-RW-DL 18x Burner w/ lightscribe| SILVERSTONE OP650 ATX12V / EPS12V 650W Power Supply | AOpen 5.1 Surround sound system | Windows 7 Pro x64
100% Orthos Stable!
$n][pErMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-07, 04:06 PM   #647
sillyeagle
sillyego

These are the ones I did....

[MAIN]
FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.40
TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=45

[BufferPools]
PoolSize=10000000

Now that I have done more testing it still does not load textures as well as the RTM version, but its still better than what I was getting before.
EVGA Intel X58
Old 11-28-07, 02:54 AM   #648
sillyeagle
sillyego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lith1um
I'll post some screenies from your coordinates if you like.
That would be cool. I'm flying to New York thursday morning(in real life, lol) , and won't have much time, so I'll get back to you next week with a couple of the locations I have in mind.
EVGA Intel X58