Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-15-08, 11:55 PM   #781
yxx

Default Re: Flight Simulator X Full Version Feedback Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyeagle
The extra cache on the new chips is good for another 10% frame rate boost, but you get little to no frame rate gain from the additional two cores, as pretty much all the multithreading enhancements were done only to the terrain loading engine.

In addition some extensive benchmarking was done over at avsim, and it was noted that a 50% CPU overclock translates to a 34% performance gain, which is an efficiency factor of 68%, on both XP and Vista.

But yeah, the CPU is where you want to invest your money for FSX. Any GPU faster than a 7800GTX will easily do 1920x1600 w/AA and not see a performance hit, even on the fastest CPU. Toms chart shows a 2fps difference on the 7800GTX going from 1024 noAA to 1920 w/AA.
yes i agree........i guess what i'm saying is for me......its' not like my frame rates went from 20 to 40 or anything like that but in areas especially using ultimate terrain x like in major cites the terrain loading as improved greatly for me and i do a lot of flying in 747's n such and it's a hug improvement. coming into a city like new york in a 747 and actually seeing the terrain load up and it not becoming one big blur is a huge plus.
yxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-08, 12:08 AM   #782
Amuro
Newtype Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyeagle
I went nvidia just to keep the option open, but by the time I would be ready to add a second GTX, it might make more sense to get something else, but who knows.
Yeah, I know. But now 3870X2 is coming out soon, and it might be a killer card.
Lian Li Armorsuit PC-P80 Black | Intel Core i7-3960X @4.3Ghz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | G.SKILL Ripjaws X 4 x 4GB @1866Mhz CL9 |eVGA GTX 690 Hydro Copper | Cruscial M4 512GB SATA III SSD | WD VelociRaptor 300GB | Samsung Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB | Pioneer BDR-205BK 12x Blu-ray Burner | Creative x-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Sound Card | Corsair A1200 1200W PSU

Water cooled by Koolance ERM-3K3UC Cooling System
Amuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-08, 04:37 PM   #783
SJA06
Higher Than A Kite

A few shots - playing with FEX to maximize a sort of photographic realism, if not real-life natural.

GenX and Hawaii scenery.

SJA06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-08, 02:39 PM   #784
wy2sl0

I had to signup after I saw those pics above. I bought FSX when it almost came out, believing I could play it on an integrated card because FS2004 ran fine ( 3.2ghz p4, 1 gb ddr2 667, etc.) and I was wrong. Even after trying it on my c2d 1.6ghz laptop with an 8400 gs it ran at medium settings @ 1440x900 around 12-20 fps.

Now I finally bought some parts around an e6550, and all the talk in this thread is worrying me that my almost $200 on my CPU choice was a waste because it still is going to bottleneck FSX. I need to be able to run it at 1920x1080 as I bought a 50" 1080P TV for that and for sports. I still havent bought a vid card besides a $35 temp 8400 gs, so now your saying, I dont need the best possible, more like invest in a Quad later on?

BTW pics look marvelous, is that just FSX Deluxe with some scenery add-ons?
wy2sl0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-08, 03:56 PM   #785
SJA06
Higher Than A Kite

Quote:
Originally Posted by wy2sl0
I had to signup after I saw those pics above. I bought FSX when it almost came out, believing I could play it on an integrated card because FS2004 ran fine ( 3.2ghz p4, 1 gb ddr2 667, etc.) and I was wrong. Even after trying it on my c2d 1.6ghz laptop with an 8400 gs it ran at medium settings @ 1440x900 around 12-20 fps.

Now I finally bought some parts around an e6550, and all the talk in this thread is worrying me that my almost $200 on my CPU choice was a waste because it still is going to bottleneck FSX. I need to be able to run it at 1920x1080 as I bought a 50" 1080P TV for that and for sports. I still havent bought a vid card besides a $35 temp 8400 gs, so now your saying, I dont need the best possible, more like invest in a Quad later on?

BTW pics look marvelous, is that just FSX Deluxe with some scenery add-ons?
I'm running a number of additions to FSX - UK Photoscenery [Horizon generationX] and Hawaii Photoscenery [MegasceneryX] both pictured above. I'm also using Flight EnviromentX or FEX, which allows to to add and customise cloud, sky and water textures and colours - it's an evolving product that will soon include it's own real-time weather generator, which will be more accurate than the one built into FSX.

I'm also using a water shader mod that changes the way it reflects light, looking more natural IMO.

Your CPU will be fine for FSX, though bare in mind you will not be able to max it out and return smooth frame rates - nothing can really, though it does depend on your tolerance and what you consider smooth. I tend to only fly over the areas I have photoscenery for and use little autogen, as I prefer it this way - on my spec below i maintain a constant locked 25fps [unlocked anything from 25 upto 70fps]

As has been said above the GPU generally has far less impact on performance - I play it at 1680x1050 16xAF 8xS AA and the fps does not alter if I run at 1400x900 and no AA or AF. Even with a lesser card you can still turn up the res and image quality.

Some links.
http://www.horizonsimulation.com/index.php
http://www.flightenvironment.com/
http://www.megascenery.com/
www.avsim.com - about the most comprehensive flight sim site and file libuary
http://www.horizonsimulation.com/for...pic.php?t=1983 a link for the water shader mod.

HTH
Old 01-18-08, 05:12 AM   #786
sillyeagle
sillyego

Quote:
Originally Posted by wy2sl0
Now I finally bought some parts around an e6550, and all the talk in this thread is worrying me that my almost $200 on my CPU choice was a waste because it still is going to bottleneck FSX. I need to be able to run it at 1920x1080 as I bought a 50" 1080P TV for that and for sports.
Welcome to the thread!

Your E6550 should work great if you overclock. If you can hit 3GHz you will be in great shape. Do you plan to overclock?

Even if you don't overclock you should be able to turn most everything up all the way if you keep bloom turned off, water at low 2.x, traffic off, and autogen at very dense, provided to you install SP1/SP2. No matter what keep bloom turned off, as thats the thing that will kill your frames like no other, as does setting water higher than low 2.x. If you have enough power to spare you can turn water up one notch to get the nice cloud relfections, otherwise go for low 2.x, and if you want some AI traffic turn autogen down one notch and keep the traffic setting low.

You should be able to run in the 20-30 fps range with these settings, though you will want to lock your frame rate at a value which is smaller than what you can consistently achieve, else you might get a lot of blurries. I keep mine at 22 or 25 to stay blurry free.

As to the video card I'd go for an 8800 GT, which is around $250, and would allow you to easily run 1920 with AA, even 8xS Supersampling, but if you don't want to pay that much the 8600 GTS performs pretty well at 1920, which is only $150.

Toms VGA chart has a nice comparison.

http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphi...=854&chart=293
EVGA Intel X58
Old 01-18-08, 05:25 AM   #787
sillyeagle
sillyego

Here's a couple from Vancouver+ with the F-86. While the VC in this thing stinks, I really like this plane. The flight model is good, and I thuroughly enjoy looking at it.

Vancouver+ is so freaking huge its amazing, and in fact its astounding they could have created an area this large in this kind of hand placed detail. Its my favorite scenery product, and well worth the price.

EVGA Intel X58
Old 01-18-08, 09:24 AM   #788
Try4Ce

How can u guys play FSX in this GFX quality?
I just got my own copy 2 weeks ago with the expansion, liked the 2004 edition very much so I decided to get the new one.
My specs arent that bad, but If I push up the GFX quality the game really starts to studder with like ... 14 FPS? without anti aliasing!
Your screens always look awesome. Are there any tricks or tweaks or advises which details to rise and wich not?
BTW the game is very cool
Palit GeForce 260GTX 216 @ Stock
Try4Ce is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-08, 11:30 AM   #789
SJA06
Higher Than A Kite

It depends where you fly for a start - big cities will bring powerful rigs to their knees [some city's are worse than others] if you have to options cranked up, but in the country things should be easier. For general performance keep 'traffic' quite low as that has a large hit as does 'bloom' and start with 'Autogen' and 'scenery complexity' on 'normal' and 'water effects' low 2.x.

Keep 'Texture resolution' at 1m and 'global texture resolution' on very high and 'Level of detail radius' on Large or things start to get a bit ugly...these are not worth compromising on.

There are some tweaks around, but none of them will increase the frame rate sadly. I fly mostly over Photoscenery with only some custom objects and autogen and this is a major reason for getting the fluidity and image quality I do with my spec. At the end of the day it comes down to raw processing power - the more cores and the more mhz you have the better.

BTW you should be able to maximize your the image quality [AA, AF etc] with NO impact on perfomance - you do have a good CPU, much better than mine, and FSX will only run as fast as the CPU allows - so try cranking those right up for a start. AF is vital for keeping the terrain looking sharp.
Old 01-18-08, 01:20 PM   #790
SJA06
Higher Than A Kite

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter
Wonderful pic! FEX is truly the best addon so far IMO. And combined with the highres scenery files it looks amazing!
Thank you slaWter I could not fly without FEX now, it just adds so much atmosphere [ha-ha] I can't wait for the updates and extra features, a truly evolving and involving product.
Old 01-18-08, 01:38 PM   #791
hirantha
SUC SUDO

you guys are having too much fun, how exactly you get a plan off the runway? lol i've never played games like these before.. can someone post a screen shot guide if they are not too busy.. plz

Look me up in AION and GW2
Game Tag: Famorak
hirantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-08, 06:20 PM   #792
Lith1um

fly the tutorial missions. mission one describes takeoff I think.
Lith1um is offline   Reply With Quote