Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-28-08, 11:47 PM   #817
breathemetal
*BANNED*

Send a message via AIM to breathemetal
Default Re: Flight Simulator X Full Version Feedback Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by stncttr908
Thanks guys. I'm probably going to check out the demo and see if I want to plunk down the cash for it plus some decent hardware to really enjoy it. I haven't owned a joystick or anything like that since 1996.

And I just realized that all the flight gear would probably totally upwards of $500. I don't think I'd ever be that serious. For example, I love Silent Hunter 3 and 4, but I never played with really high realism settings. I'd just want an arcade-y flightsim experience.
Its not that arcade-y. My grandfather is addicted to fsx, he loves it. been a fan of the fs series since 2002.

It can cost u a pretty penny with all the hardware and payware upgrades. but it makes him happy. lol
breathemetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-08, 11:59 PM   #818
Bman212121

Quote:
Thanks guys. I'm probably going to check out the demo and see if I want to plunk down the cash for it plus some decent hardware to really enjoy it. I haven't owned a joystick or anything like that since 1996.

And I just realized that all the flight gear would probably totally upwards of $500. I don't think I'd ever be that serious. For example, I love Silent Hunter 3 and 4, but I never played with really high realism settings. I'd just want an arcade-y flightsim experience.
All you really need is the game and a $40 joystick. FSX is fairly easy to play and is slow paced so you'll have no issues reaching for your keyboard to press buttons. Also if you own a racing wheel it should be possible to use your foot pedals as your rudder controls. That's what I'm doing with my setup instead of having to buy rudders I just use my pedals from my wheel. I haven't really gotten back into it to play but once I get a quad core I think I'm going to give it another go.

If you want something more arcadish then FSX might be a little much. I like messing around in BF2 flying the helis and jets because you can fly around but also shoot at targets.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-08, 02:53 AM   #819
sillyeagle
sillyego

Quote:
All I use the a Saitek Aviator. Its got built in throttle and twist grip joystick for rudder. I don't have room at my desk for petals or a throttle, and even if I did I'd probably stick with what I have. I got the Aviator for $25 though it normally goes for $40.

FSX can be pretty arcadey if you set the settings up right. Set unlimited fuel, turn off crashes and damage, set fuel/air mixture to auto, set rudder to auto, and you can even turn down the engine torque and other flight model realism sliders to numb up the flight model.

That way all you really need to deal with is throttle, landing gear, and breaks, other than stearing the plane around of course.
EVGA Intel X58
Old 01-29-08, 07:22 AM   #820
omzig
Comfortably Numb

If you want to add to your immersion lvl with headtracking but dont want to shell out $200/100 for a trackIR you can always do what i did which was checkout

http://www.free-track.net/

then buy a 7 IR webcam build a 3 point headtracking IR headset from an old headmic and some IR refelxtive tape and get full ingame headtracking for next to nothing! it adds so much to the immersion i cant sim without it
omzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-08, 12:12 PM   #821
NickB

Anyone had a chance to try FSX with the new Radeon 3870 X2?

Specifically interested in how it would compare to the 8800 GTS/ 8800 GTX
NickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-08, 06:31 PM   #822
sillyeagle
sillyego

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB
Anyone had a chance to try FSX with the new Radeon 3870 X2?

Specifically interested in how it would compare to the 8800 GTS/ 8800 GTX
In general ATI cards perform much worse than Nvidia cards in FSX, even at CPU bound resolutions, which makes no sense to me, and which even Phil Taylor can't explain, and he is the lead Program Manager for FSX, was a DirectX engineer for a time, as well as a hardware engineer for ATI. So for that reason I would avoid ATI cards for use with FSX.

Here you can see the 8800 Ultra is a full 25% faster than the HD3870 at 1920 with AA.

http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphi...1060&chart=293

Other than that FSX doesn't need a graphics card faster than an 8800. I run mine at 1600x1200 with 16xS supersampling and 16xAF and I'm still CPU bound at 3.5GHz. So an 8800 is more than enough power for FSX, and puts the bottleneck squarely on the CPU.
EVGA Intel X58
Old 01-31-08, 04:35 AM   #823
sillyeagle
sillyego

Wow look at this deal!!! It expires Feb 1st, so you better act fast if you want in on it.

I just bought the FSDreamscapes 1.2m VFR Utah pre-order package and its the best deal I've ever seen, which is only $25 if you pre-order. Basically you get 80,000 square miles of 1.2m photo coverage for the entire state of Utah and a 5m mesh for the entire coverage area. As a free bonus you get their 10m mesh products for California, Arizona, and Utah, which you can download instantly.

The scenery will be made in stages, and will be available for download as its completed. Apparently the price will increase with each new release, and will reach $125, but if you pre-order it now its $25 and as the new pieces come in you won't have to pay any more.

The three mesh products are sold for $10 each, so thats a $30 value right there, with 28GB of awesome photo scenery to come. Take a look at his blog if you want to be impressed.

http://fsdreamscapes.blogspot.com/

Some of the scenic wonders in Utah include bryce canyon, zion national park, monument valley, uintas mountains, and canyonlands national park.

You can download his demo of Monumnt Valley from the product page.

http://www.fsdreamscapes.com/store/p...?products_id=7

http://www.fsdreamscapes.com/store/

Now that I have a 10m mesh for cali I might have to get the so cal Megascenery.
EVGA Intel X58
Old 02-01-08, 09:00 AM   #824
sillyeagle
sillyego

YES!!!! Screenshots of the new RealAir Spitfire. This thing is destined to be the greatest add on ever. I can't believe how awesome this thing is going to be.

Quote:
We're happy to make available a large number of screenshots previewing our upcoming FSX Spitfire Package.

For the first time we'll be including the Merlin-powered Spitfire Mk. IX alongside the Griffon-powered Mk. XIV that was included in our original FS2004 release. Also included will be service-worn, wwII era liveries plus immaculately maintained, restored airshow liveries, several ****pit colour variations, modern civillian gauges in the Mk. XIV racers, plus many more new features.

To view the screenshots, visit the Spitfire 2008 Screenshots page
EVGA Intel X58

Old 02-01-08, 09:32 AM   #825
sillyeagle
sillyego

This is the free 10m Utah mesh I got with the VFR scenery above. According to the thread at avsim the guy is going extend the offer until Feb 4th.

EVGA Intel X58
Old 02-01-08, 12:06 PM   #826
SJA06
Higher Than A Kite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyeagle
YES!!!! Screenshots of the new RealAir Spitfire. This thing is destined to be the greatest add on ever. I can't believe how awesome this thing is going to be.
WOW WOW WOW I just cannot wait for this beauty - I hope they have a good download server, because this thing is going to be popular, and I will want to grab it the second it's released

Very nice shots slaWter and I assume you were getting more than 1fps
SJA06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-08, 05:34 PM   #827
sillyeagle
sillyego

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter
Two non-compressed (Fraps) images:
That first one has some serious detail. Is that with the 10m mesh?
EVGA Intel X58
Old 02-04-08, 11:02 PM   #828
sillyeagle
sillyego

Don't know if anybody is interested but here's a really cool Merlin engine reference page with full specs for the different models including boost levels, which can be hard to find, and a really nice cut away drawing....

http://www.spitfireart.com/merlin_engines.html
EVGA Intel X58