Default Re: Official Flight Simulator X Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentkay
Thanks!
OWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-06, 09:28 PM   #74
AlphaWolfII

<<The light hang glider aircraft had some basic instruments (altimeter, compass) in the demo. There gone in the final version.>>

Oooops. My bad (or stupidity). All I had to do was un-zoom. cough ....cough ....

AWII
AlphaWolfII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-06, 11:58 PM   #75
Warwind

Apologies in advance for the length of this post.

Is anyone else but me having problems activating the game?

I bought my copy at our local Walmart. When the activation dialog comes up, I select "Activate now". On the next screen, I enter my product key, and hit NEXT. Then, it tries to connect to the activation server, and I get the message:
"A technical problem occurred while accessing the online activation server. License authorization was unsuccessful.

"We apologize for any inconvenience. The problem may be due to a temporary network interruption or the server may be busy at this time. If the problem persists, check your network connection and verify that you can browse the Internet with your Web browser."
When I try the "Activate by telephone now" option, I get the following error message:
"An error occurred while attempting to activate the product. The problem may be due to an incomplete installation of the application. Reinstalling the application may resolve the problem. Otherwise, please contact product support for assistance."
Here's what I've done so far (unsuccessfully) to try to fix the problem:
- I've completely uninstalled, and re-installed the game three separate times, rebooting in between.

- I've made sure Zone Alarm gives the game full permission to access the Internet, and I've even tried activating with ZA not even running.

- I've called the phone number listed in the "Phone Activation.xml" file located in the game directory; they want me to enter a PRODUCT ID (not the product key), but I can't find one anywhere in any of the documentation. There is no product ID under Help/About Flight Simulator X in the game menu (it's blank).

- Returned the game to Walmart, and gotten a replacement copy; same issues.
Can anyone think of anything else I might try? I'd be grateful for any suggestions. I'd try installing it on my laptop just to see, but I don't want to run it there, and I'm afraid if the activation is successful on the laptop, I won't be able to re-activate on my desktop system.

Thanks for reading!

-Tom

UPDATE: I finally got through to Microsoft on the phone, and was told that this is an issue they're aware of. The technician had me create a log file that I sent to them, and they're going to call me back when they have a solution. I'll post it when I get it, in case it happens to anyone else.

In the meantime, I guess I can only play in 30 minute chunks for now... :-(

Last edited by Warwind; 10-19-06 at 12:49 PM. Reason: update
Warwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-06, 01:42 AM   #76
Bearclaw

Wow, I think that is a first for any of us here. If it is the second copy and it still isnt working I would say maybe their server is down or something or i dont know. Hmm...
Old 10-19-06, 06:11 PM   #77
MaXThReAT

Hey just an FYI for everyone that hasn't got the game yet. Circuit City is selling the deluxe edition for just $47.99. It was sold out everywhere ells, guess I lucked out by missing it the first few days.
I'm still clearing off some HD space for this, then defrag, then I'll get her installed and come back with some #s and maybe a vid.

Edit: Well I started to attempt to install the game around 6:09pm. I didn't get to play the game until 8:36pm. My install kept getting hung up at disk2. After removing Nero and the Intervideo Launcher my system was able to identify the disks correctly. It's an acknowledged issue from Microsoft. So if both your disks show up as some UDF something and not disk1 & disk2 uninstall Nero and Intervideo Launcher.

I first took off from DIA in the red ultralight. I flew down to Denver and circled Invesco field. Then I flew down south and found what I think was my house, not really but it sure looked like it. Then I landed at my local airport that’s just a few miles from my house. Then I snagged Heli and flew out to Coors Field and landed on home plate.

As for performance my first run through was @ 1024x768 everything at ultra High settings, AF, no AA, I got a pretty solid 15fps. Then I jacked up the rez to 1600x1200 and I only dropped down to 10fps. Then I just moved everything to it's highest setting except for vehicles, AF and AA on @ 1600x1200 and it did drop down to 6-8fps in the city. I think I'm going to keep the settings on Ultra high, high is the lowest I'll go. I think I read somewhere that this game is a dual core app but I don't know. My first core stays at about 85% and my second core just jumps every now and then. I can't wait to see what the supposed 30% vista boost will do, that and a G80.

If you enjoy this game in any way shape or form I highly recommend you pick a TrackIR. I didn't touch my POV hat once. While I was flying the Ultralight I was looking over to my left and the steering bar was in the way of the view, all I had to do was duck my head down a little bit. FULL 6DOF. I can look up, down, left, right, lean side to side, lean in and out, tilt left and right and the move the entire view height up or down. I could lean in look only at the dash as if I was really there.
Anyway it's sweet, I need a quad core and SLi now.
Evga 280 GTX 621/1349/2268
SB X-Fi FPS / Z-5500 + Buttkicker!

"Don't mind the posts, I've been around longer than most know."

Last edited by MaXThReAT; 10-20-06 at 11:58 AM.
MaXThReAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-06, 09:03 PM   #78
einstein_314
w00t!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaXThReAT
Hey just an FYI for everyone that hasn't got the game yet. Circuit City is selling the deluxe edition for just $47.99. It was sold out everywhere ells, guess I lucked out by missing it the first few days.
I'm still clearing off some HD space for this, then defrag, then I'll get her installed and come back with some #s and maybe a vid.

Edit: Well I started to attempt to install the game around 6:09pm. I didn't get to play the game until 8:36pm. My install kept getting hung up at disk2. After removing Nero and the Intervideo Launcher my system was able to identify the disks correctly. It's an acknowledged issue from Microsoft. So if both your disks show up as some UDF something and not disk1 & disk2 uninstall Nero and Intervideo Launcher.

I first took off from DIA in the red ultralight. I flew down to Denver and circled Invesco field. Then I flew down south and found what I think was my house, not really but it sure looked like it. Then I landed at my local airport that’s just a few miles from my house. Then I snagged Heli and flew out to Coors Field and landed on home plate.

As for performance my first run through was @ 1024x768 everything at ultra High settings, AF, no AA, I got a pretty solid 15fps. Then I jacked up the rez to 1600x1200 and I only dropped down to 10fps. Then I just moved everything to it's highest setting except for vehicles, AF and AA on @ 1600x1200 and it did drop down to 6-8fps in the city. I think I'm going to keep the settings on Ultra high, high is the lowest I'll go. I think I read somewhere that this game is a dual core app but I don't know. My first core stays at about 85% and my second core just jumps every now and then. I can't wait to see what the supposed 30% vista boost will do, that and a G80.

If you enjoy this game in any way shape or form I highly recommend you pick a TrackIR. I didn't touch my POV hat once. While I was flying the Ultralight I was looking over to my left and the steering bar was in the way of the view, all I had to do was duck my head down a little bit. FULL 6DOF. I can look up, down, left, right, lean side to side, lean in and out, tilt left and right and the move the entire view height up or down. I could lean in look only at the dash as if I was really there.
Anyway it's sweet, I need a quad core and SLi now.
Wow, that makes me REALLY want a TrackIR. I've looked at them before...and drooled a bunch. I'm just concerned I won't use it enough...But it would be amazing...

Quick question about the TrackIR. How exactly does it work? I mean you put the thing on your head right? So when you turn your head left, the view moves left...but then you're not looking at the screen because you're looking left...So you have to look right with your eyes at the same time...to be able to see the screen properly. Does this give you a headache?

And out of curiosity, what other games do you use it in? Just Flight Sims? Or is it good for any other genres? Thanks!
Logitech Z-5300 Speakers || Sennheiser HD555's || Logitech G7 || Logitech G15 || Windows Vista Ultimate x64
einstein_314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-06, 09:22 PM   #79
sillyeagle
sillyego

Here is a some good info on miltithreading and FSX from one of the developers....

http://blogs.msdn.com/tdragger/archi...21/711152.aspx

From what I have gathered there is not much dual core benefit for FSX, which sucks, as I was hoping to get a nice boost from it. I hope DX10 provides a nice boost, as it does not look like CPU speeds are going to shoot up any time soon.
EVGA Intel X58
Old 10-20-06, 10:00 PM   #80
Bman212121

Okay guys, before I uninstall the POS can someone help me out with the basic keys.

Naturally going to the help shows a page cannot be displayed.

I couldn't get the plane off the ground, and I tried the quick start carribean one and I was able to put the plane into a nose dive.

I'm just using the demo, but it only took 5 minutes to remind me why I hate flying games. A little help with how to get off the ground and keep the plane going in one direction would be of help. (Then I can worry about turning.)
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-20-06, 10:16 PM   #81
sillyeagle
sillyego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bman212121
Okay guys, before I uninstall the POS can someone help me out with the basic keys.

Naturally going to the help shows a page cannot be displayed.

I couldn't get the plane off the ground, and I tried the quick start carribean one and I was able to put the plane into a nose dive.

I'm just using the demo, but it only took 5 minutes to remind me why I hate flying games. A little help with how to get off the ground and keep the plane going in one direction would be of help. (Then I can worry about turning.)
Pull back on the stick and the nose goes up. Push forward and the nose goes down. The plane follows the nose....

To turn bank the plane to the left or right with left and right stick movements, and the lift from the wings will push the plane through the turn. For sharp turns bank heavily and pull back on the stick a bit.

Just keep the wings level with the horizon and it will go straight ahead.
EVGA Intel X58
Old 10-20-06, 10:18 PM   #82
Bman212121

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyeagle
Pull back on the stick and the nose goes up. Push forward and the nose goes down. The plane follows the nose....

To turn bank the plane to the left or right with left and right stick movements, and the lift from the wings will push the plane through the turn.

Just keep the wings level with the horizon and it will go straight ahead.
I don't have a joystick, otherwise it might be easier. Do you know the keyboard equivilants?
Old 10-20-06, 10:26 PM   #83
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bman212121
I don't have a joystick, otherwise it might be easier. Do you know the keyboard equivilants?

if you dont have a joystick dont even bother.

EDIT: or you could buy the one im selling.
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-06, 10:30 PM   #84
Bman212121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog
if you dont have a joystick dont even bother.

EDIT: or you could buy the one im selling.
Don't you worry I've looked at it a few times, but I can easily see me using it once then throwing it the drawer. If I wasn't going to drop about $1500 between a G80 and a PS3 I'd prolly look at it a little harder.

Link though for anyone else who hasen't seen it.
http://nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=78472