Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-18-08, 07:02 PM   #877
sillyeagle
sillyego

Default Re: Flight Simulator X Full Version Feedback Thread

I just picked up a Raptor X for FSX. Best Buy has them for $174, and I had $95 in gift cards from this Christmas, so cost me only $90 for the drive. I was getting low on space and since FSX + add ons is my biggest app, and the one that needs to move the most data, I decided I'd reinstall all of it on a Raptor.

As much as I hear my drive thrashing about when loading areas it seems a faster HDD can only help. I'm doing installs and defrags right now so will see if it helps with load times in a bit.
EVGA Intel X58
Old 02-18-08, 10:05 PM   #878
Bearclaw

I have been messing around with the tileproxy that omzig posted a while back. Sorry it took me so long to get back to you guys on it.

It takes some time to set up and it really helps if you read the full manual to get everything right but once it is set up it is awesome. I will post some screenshots when I have a chance.

Last edited by Bearclaw; 02-21-08 at 12:49 PM.
Old 02-19-08, 09:31 AM   #879
omzig
Comfortably Numb

That one guys gonna post a few shots of TileProxy using Yahxx service

Utah Gooseneck Statepark these shots are around 700/800k each so i'll thumbnail them so as not to cause a problem for ppl on lower speed connections

You can outrun the tiles in TP so i suggest a slower flight if your going to try it
out,it is a fantastic program if the service you use has good coverage ive read that theres a 30cm beta version kicking around for service that have that lvl of detail! if i can get it working i'll post some shots

If MS dont use this kind of service for FS11 there crazy...
omzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-08, 01:13 PM   #880
Bearclaw

I still am going through the manual and reading everything to make sure I get it right. I am getting a few errors here and there. Some tiles show up but a lot of the time it is just water all over the place.

Last edited by Bearclaw; 02-20-08 at 10:22 PM.
Old 02-19-08, 02:37 PM   #881
Bearclaw

For those that are using this program and having trouble with it, just mess around with the INI file. It is the heart of this program and when it is right it will work wonders with FSX/FS9.

Last edited by Bearclaw; 02-20-08 at 10:22 PM.
Old 02-19-08, 10:07 PM   #882
sillyeagle
sillyego

Has anybody here upgraded from dual to quad and been able to run FSX on both? How did it affect texture loading?

All I want from FSX at this point is sharp textures, which I rarely get to see. I can run at nearly 40fps over downtown chicago with very dense autogen, so I don't see why I should have texture loading issues when I keep it locked at 22.

If I upgrade I can get an E8500 and overclock it for about 30% more power than what I have now, or I can get a Q6600, which means I would take a reduction in clock speed.

So the question is: will a 4.2GHz dual core load textures faster than a 3.2Ghz quad core?
EVGA Intel X58
Old 02-20-08, 12:50 AM   #883
Bearclaw

Here are a few shots of my hometown and the surrounding area. The southeast corner of MDW-Cicero and 63rd, Alsip, etc.

Old 02-20-08, 04:45 PM   #884
omzig
Comfortably Numb

Nice shots Bearclaw,Im still tweaking TP and trying diffrent services but sofar i think Yahoo is about the best

Heres a few more TP shots over the Fsgenesis USA mesh

GC & yellowstone parks (again link thumbs because of there size)

I just hope Christian finds away to add autogen to TP in the Future but for now i think i'll be using TP to tryout area's and them Rip them with FSearthtiles and add my own autogen

Edit:Changed pic hosting

Old 02-20-08, 07:54 PM   #885
Bearclaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by omzig
Nice shots Bearclaw,Im still tweaking TP and trying diffrent services but sofar i think Yahoo is about the best

Heres a few more TP shots over the Fsgenesis USA mesh

GC & yellowstone parks (again link thumbs because of there size)

I just hope Christian finds away to add autogen to TP in the Future but for now i think i'll be using TP to tryout area's and them Rip them with FSearthtiles and add my own autogen
Awesome shots!

The only concern for me is that my internet connection is extremely slow. Other than that, it works excellent. It actually feels like I am flying on an approach to an airport and flying over my hometown is pretty neat.

I don't think I have the INI file correct but it seems to be working for now.
Old 02-20-08, 10:29 PM   #886
Bearclaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyeagle
Has anybody here upgraded from dual to quad and been able to run FSX on both? How did it affect texture loading?

All I want from FSX at this point is sharp textures, which I rarely get to see. I can run at nearly 40fps over downtown chicago with very dense autogen, so I don't see why I should have texture loading issues when I keep it locked at 22.

If I upgrade I can get an E8500 and overclock it for about 30% more power than what I have now, or I can get a Q6600, which means I would take a reduction in clock speed.

So the question is: will a 4.2GHz dual core load textures faster than a 3.2Ghz quad core?
Couldn't tell you. I am still on a single core.

With my Athlon 64 and a 7600GT, I can have everything at max in the game and maintain an average of 25 frames. Not bad for such an old system. The big thing holding me back is my slow internet connection when I use TP.
Old 02-21-08, 07:28 AM   #887
brady
I'm like everyone else.

I'm thinking of picking up FSX today. This is totally unfamiliar territory for me. You guys are probably going to laught but the reason I want to check it out is because of Pilotwings 64. It's just fun to fly around sometimes. I know this is intended to be a simulator but I'm sure there are ways to make it playable for the complete novice.

I'll be playing on the blue rig in my sig with a 360 controller on my living room TV. Are there any enhancements I should look into? Texture mods? Do you call them mods? Help me out. I'm a total newb.

C2D @ 3.0GHz | GA-P35-DS3L | 4GB DDR2 | HIS AMD 6990 4GB | OS X Lion 10.7 | Windows 7 Ultimate x64
brady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-08, 07:29 AM   #888
omzig
Comfortably Numb

Hey Bearclaw

Seems i could'nt PM you an attechment so heres my Proxy ini as a txt file

Hope that helps
Gizmo
Attached Files
File Type: txt ProxyUser.txt (9.8 KB, 116 views)