Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-21-08, 07:39 AM   #889
Bearclaw

Default Re: Flight Simulator X Full Version Feedback Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by brady
I'm thinking of picking up FSX today. This is totally unfamiliar territory for me. You guys are probably going to laught but the reason I want to check it out is because of Pilotwings 64. It's just fun to fly around sometimes. I know this is intended to be a simulator but I'm sure there are ways to make it playable for the complete novice.

I'll be playing on the blue rig in my sig with a 360 controller on my living room TV. Are there any enhancements I should look into? Texture mods? Do you call them mods? Help me out. I'm a total newb.

I am not laughing at you but with you! One of the main reasons I started on FS was because I was introduced to Pilotwings64 earlier and loved it so much.

As far as "texture mods" go, I would recommend TileProxy. It takes scenery from Yahoomaps, google maps, etc. You can configure it to do whatever you want, and whatever service you would like. It really adds a sense of realism to flying and if your internet connection is good then you won't have a problem. I use it all the time now and I love it.

Also, I would recommend a joystick for this game. I have played it with a controller and it is difficult just because it is so much more complex than PilotWings ever was.
Old 02-21-08, 07:55 AM   #890
omzig
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by brady
I'm thinking of picking up FSX today. This is totally unfamiliar territory for me. You guys are probably going to laught but the reason I want to check it out is because of Pilotwings 64. It's just fun to fly around sometimes. I know this is intended to be a simulator but I'm sure there are ways to make it playable for the complete novice.

I'll be playing on the blue rig in my sig with a 360 controller on my living room TV. Are there any enhancements I should look into? Texture mods? Do you call them mods? Help me out. I'm a total newb.
Id say take a good look through this thread(i know its massive but its worth it)as it seems its been a very good starting place for many of NVNew'es non simmers and you'll see your not the first person who decided to give it ago based on just checking out this mega thread

As for Mods there are 1000's out there Alot are Payware but there are some great freeware mods aswell that this threads regulars poster add as we come across them,

A good place to start for freeware is the file libary at Flightsim.com
(you need to signup to download)

As for addon freeware texture replacements check out

FSX What a Wonderful World

or go back a few pages and checkout tileproxy or if your willing to pay check out GEX enchanced (soon to be on my shopping list i think)

Hope that helps some
Gizmo
omzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-08, 10:37 AM   #891
Bearclaw

BUMP

We need more action in here.
Old 02-22-08, 11:11 AM   #892
SJA06
Higher Than A Kite

I would highly recommend FEX -Flight EnviromentX- with replaces cloud, sky and sea textures with hi-res versions, you can design and upload your own to share with the community.

I also love my Horizon Simulations GenerationX UK VFR photoscenery - the best photoscenery if you want to fly over England and Wales.

Both in action here.

SJA06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-08, 11:54 AM   #893
NuBee
NuBee

Quote:
I would highly recommend FEX -Flight EnviromentX- with replaces cloud, sky and sea textures with hi-res versions, you can design and upload your own to share with the community.
How about a serial for it. You can't find FEX in Germany on the market. I downloadet it but I didn't find a serial. This is my daily occupation in the last three months but nobody wants to share a serial.
Core i7 920@4.2 / Asus Rampage II Extreme / Noctua NH-U12P SE 1366 / 6GB Dominator GT PC3-16000 Triple Channel (CL 7-7-7-16-1T) / 2 x GTX680 SLI / X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro Series + Teufel Concept E Magnum 5.1 + 4xCanton/ 2x1Tb Samsung F3@Raid-0 / CoolermasterStackerSTC-T01 + 3xSilenX-Ixtrema120 + 2xS3NoiseBlocker + ZalmanZM-MFC1 Multi Fan Controller/Win7 x64
I'm not a signature,I'm just cleaning here
NuBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-08, 12:39 PM   #894
Tym

Wink Re: Flight Simulator X Full Version Feedback Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuBee
How about a serial for it. You can't find FEX in Germany on the market. I downloadet it but I didn't find a serial. This is my daily occupation in the last three months but nobody wants to share a serial.
I'm sure Flight1 will be glad to share the serial with you once you've paid them for the product like you are supposed to ;-)
i5-2500K with Thermalright SI-128, Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD4-B3, 8GB Kingston HyperX 1600, Palit GeForce GTX 460 Sonic Platinum, Samsung 275T Plus 27" + Samsung 943T 19", Auzentech X-Fi Prelude + Rotel RA-820AX + Kef Q1, Razer DeathAdder mouse, Antec P190 case, 60GB OCZ Vertex for OS/FSX + 2 x 640GB WD Black RAID1, Plextor PX-880SA DVD-RW; OS: Windows 7 Ultimate x64; FSX gear: Saitek X52 Pro + Rudder Pedals + Yoke System
Tym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-08, 01:28 PM   #895
SJA06
Higher Than A Kite

Quote:

Yeah sure, I'll also give you my login and password.

effing idiot

If you want it - BUY IT.
SJA06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-08, 05:04 AM   #896
sillyeagle
sillyego

P-51 over GEX/UTX. I enhanced the constrast in photoshop.

EVGA Intel X58

Old 02-23-08, 11:07 AM   #897
omzig
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Reported...Hope you enjoyed your short stay...muppet
Old 02-23-08, 12:57 PM   #898
hapooh

question .... I am curious if anyone knows if I can get a flight addon from Abacus "Military Aircraft Collector's Edition" to work in FSX. It says it's for FS 2004, but I wanted to know if I could get it to work in FSX.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
hapooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-08, 01:20 PM   #899
Bearclaw

Silleyeagle - AWESOME shots once again. That P-51 is awesome. Is that payware or freeware?
Old 02-23-08, 01:56 PM   #900
omzig
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearclaw
Silleyeagle - AWESOME shots once again. That P-51 is awesome. Is that payware or freeware?
Payware as its part of the FSX acceleration addon which is excellent value for money,ive payed more for just single aircraft or weather addons in the past

Just finishing my mammoth reinstall of FSX and its addons after nuking vista due to a few problems,i think im gonna drop for GEX later on....if i do i'll post a few screenies