Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-23-08, 03:43 PM   #901
glObalist
working as intended

Default Re: Flight Simulator X Full Version Feedback Thread

How is MSFSX compared to X-Plane, from a newb flightsimmer's point of view? The thing that turns me off from MSFSX is the terrible terrible shimmering of ground textures, while X-Plane is said to be not so straightforward for newbs.

Anyone tried both so he can comment?
Quote:
All MMO's are now baby-school weak. The only good MMO's make your eyes bleed and force you to eat glass. In my day we had to walk uphill in the snow 5 miles *JUST* to log in.
glObalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-08, 03:52 PM   #902
SJA06
Higher Than A Kite

I don't know why you have the impression that FSX has issues with shimmering - with 8xSAA - 16x AF and intellisample set to high quality I see no shimmering on an 8800gt. Even with my old 7600gt and lower AA/AF settings it was never an issue, so I really wouldn't let that put you off.

I have never tried X-Plane, but it always looks bland compared to FSX - flight dynamics are said to be more accurate however...there is a demo if you wish you give it a whirl.
http://www.x-plane.com/demo.html
SJA06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-08, 03:53 PM   #903
omzig
Comfortably Numb

I think FSX is pretty Newbie friendly if you start with the microlite and work your way throught the missions it has a good learning curve just dont try and play it with a keyboard & mouse

Ive found Shimmering can be held in check with a simple tweak or two

In your Nv CP/Nhancer just set your AF to x8 or x16 & the Negative LOD bias to Clamp

You can also try adding

MipBias=6

to your FSX.cfg file under the [DISPLAY.Device.xxx] section

let us know how you get on
omzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-08, 05:44 PM   #904
sillyeagle
sillyego

Well I decided I would blow $300 on a quad just for the purpose of seeing how it affects texture loading. I've been asking about this since SP1 came out, but it seems there's nobody out there who knows what kind of texture loading improvement you get by adding two more cores.

So I guess I'll be the first to say that it seems to actually double the texture loading power. My quad is a piece of crap and only clocks up to 3GHz, which is 500MHz slower than my dual, but pretty much all texture loading issues are now gone, though its a shame this game requires a quad core just to load sharp textures.

With the quad I can cruise around Chicago at 300 knots using very dense autogen and textures load up just fine, doesn't matter if I use locked or unlimited, though if I lock it, even at 90fps, my frame rate it nearly cut in half, which I don't understand. Unlocked I get about 40fps over Chicago, but locked I'm in the low 20's, even when locked at 90. Texture loading gets worse too, unless I actually lock it under the frame rate I'm getting in the locked mode, which would mean about 22. So I just run unlimited in the 40fps area and get the same texture laoding power as I do locked at 22.

What the CPU could possibly be doing to waste that much performance while showing no texture gain is beyond me. I'm still convinced they botched the texture loader with their multithreading "hack".
EVGA Intel X58
Old 02-23-08, 06:02 PM   #905
omzig
Comfortably Numb

Thanks for the info silly sorry it cost you $300 to find out though!

Theres a thread over at Avsim atm asking about a way to push just the texture LOD radius up/out without also having to pushing the over all(autogen/mesh)LOD radius up,as you know the 1m texture loading radius is quite small around the plane and the jump from that to the 2m & 4m textures can be seen quite easily in most areas

PT it going to dig through the code to see if he can find an ini tweak for just texture LOD...i wont hold my breath though
omzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-08, 02:19 AM   #906
sillyeagle
sillyego

Yeah it would be nice to have another 500Mhz, but seems to run pretty good. I'm just happy to finally have textures that are sharp all the time.
EVGA Intel X58
Old 02-24-08, 04:43 AM   #907
SJA06
Higher Than A Kite

I must admit I was a little under whelmed when visiting a friend with a brand new Q6600 - 4Gb - Vista64 bit machine. I was very conscious of his terrain over photosceney not updating much, if any, faster than my ageing X2. I am seriously considering the upgrade myself, so I did feel a little disappointed - though your post gives me some hope Silly. I just think the terrain engine in FSX is so antiquated at it's heart that that the only way forward is hopefully a brand new rendering technique for FS11.

I have played with the LOD radius in the cfg, extending it up to 9.500000, and though it does push-out the distance at which the highest resolution textures are loaded, it still doesn't eliminate blurry tiles still popping into focus right beneath the plane on many occasions, and of course it starts to impact on performance, or worse causes crashes if set too high.

If you've got frame rate to spare then the Fibre_frame_time_fraction tweak does still work post SP2 and pushing this value above 0.33 will allow more time for terrain textures. Like all tweaks it's not a cure, but it does help a bit. Maybe a combination of higher F_F_T_F and moderately extended LOD radius would work to some degree if your have the horsepower.
SJA06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-08, 12:17 PM   #908
breathemetal
*BANNED*

Send a message via AIM to breathemetal

I just got:

Ground Environment X Enhanced
Ultimate Terrain X Europe

Ill be pluggin these babies in tonight Im a bit excitied.
breathemetal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-08, 04:57 PM   #909
Bearclaw

Since this is the Flight Sim/FSX thread, I figured I would share this: I just bought the 747 of all office chairs. I will find it online and post a link.
Old 02-25-08, 08:57 PM   #910
sillyeagle
sillyego

Alright, I wanna see this baby.
EVGA Intel X58
Old 02-25-08, 10:00 PM   #911
Bearclaw

http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/st...Id=-1#desclink

It's a Sealy Posturepedic. It could lean back a bit farther for my taste but is sure is comfy.
Old 02-26-08, 12:09 AM   #912
sillyeagle
sillyego

Nice. My chair is surplus from the Gateway computers call center, where I used to do tech support. They canned everybody and gave our jobs to India. lol
EVGA Intel X58