Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-21-08, 07:37 AM   #1009
Mym8marmite

Default Re: Flight Simulator X Full Version Feedback Thread

I've come to the conclusion that add-on scenery for FSX has become mighty complex.
I'm a FS2004 user looking to move to FSX. As I mostly fly in the UK, which scenery add on should I get. I was looking at GEX but there only seems to be a USA/Canada version, so that leaves me with UTX (is this right?). How does UTX compare with GEX or FTX, and is there a version of GEX coming out for Europe.

Cheers

S
Mym8marmite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-08, 08:12 AM   #1010
omzig
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mym8marmite
I've come to the conclusion that add-on scenery for FSX has become mighty complex.
I'm a FS2004 user looking to move to FSX. As I mostly fly in the UK, which scenery add on should I get. I was looking at GEX but there only seems to be a USA/Canada version, so that leaves me with UTX (is this right?). How does UTX compare with GEX or FTX, and is there a version of GEX coming out for Europe.

Cheers

S
If you mostly fly in the UK the only stop you really need to make is at

horizonsimulation.com

Screenshot page

300mb demo here

also check back through this thread as there are loads of great shots from this package posted by SJA06

Dont drop for it at horizon web site thought as its a lot lot cheaper at play.com (with free shipping aswell)
omzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-08, 08:34 AM   #1011
SJA06
Higher Than A Kite

You may have a bit of a wait, as Horizon are not manufacturing any more disks until the Night Lighting and Water Masks are complete - which is some weeks away.

It WILL be worth the wait however, as the water masks alone look absolutely stunning, as the shot [not mine] below shows.

The entire coast and inland water will have this underlying detail.

We also have a great, freindly and helpfull community on the Horizon forums - I'm Redline there.
http://www.horizonsimulation.com/forums/index.php
SJA06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-08, 09:14 AM   #1012
Mym8marmite

Thanks guys.

Does horizon simulation scenery still have problems with autogen. I remember looking into it when it first came out, and, although it looked amazing at 3000 plus feet, when you're flying any lower than that, the lack of autogen made it a bit flat looking.

Cheers

S
Mym8marmite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-08, 01:37 PM   #1013
omzig
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyeagle
You can get some nice australian and new zealand scenery from sim pilot, like the 20m mesh, but its really spendy.
Just been and smacked my FS9 only flighing bud upto for this mesh (i know he had from the last time i went poking around his fs9 install dir) to check it out in FSX 4 you (yep i know its not right but 1 it costs a packet and 2 hes not using it atm as he's making his way through baldurs gate I & II for the 4th time!)

I dont have FTX yet as my router/modem died last night just before i intented to buy it (i think the power unit is dead my bro is gonna pop me his up to test it after work so i'll grab it while his here)once i have FTX i'll update these pics but he's 2 compare shot from YHOT victoria

Default fsx and sim pilot both set to 19M,both thumbs link to uncompressed Jpg's 1.5MB each (you dont want to know how long those took to upload via 56k!)

Hope that helps a little
omzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-08, 04:44 PM   #1014
sillyeagle
sillyego

This is Mt Buffalo and the secret airstrip at its base. It's the first of the FTX freeware airports I've located, and its pretty well done.

EVGA Intel X58
Old 03-21-08, 05:41 PM   #1015
Bearclaw

I just downloaded the F-14. I usually don't download any files bigger than 5MB because my connection is so slow and this one was 41MB and I decided to get it. It looks really sharp and I only took one picture but I will take more.

Old 03-21-08, 05:49 PM   #1016
methimpikehoses

I haven't been keep up with this thread, but are all these add-ons purchased, or are there so good free ones?

Old 03-21-08, 06:05 PM   #1017
Bearclaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by methimpikehoses
I haven't been keep up with this thread, but are all these add-ons purchased, or are there so good free ones?
There are some excellent free ones but the best are payware.
Old 03-21-08, 09:43 PM   #1018
sillyeagle
sillyego

Quote:
Originally Posted by methimpikehoses
Most of whats been posted lately is Full Terrain Experience(FTX), which is $27. Thats what all of my shots have been.
EVGA Intel X58
Old 03-21-08, 11:07 PM   #1019
Bearclaw

I was at Target earlier today and picked up a headset. My other one broke a while ago and I never got one again. Man, playing TF2 and mainly FSX online rocks with a headset. I forgot how much fun it is with other people online.

Also, my joystick broke so I have been using a logitech controller, lol. Not that bad, but I mainly fly smaller aircraft with it, like the F-14 and the extra 300s. Just like GTA:SA. LOL.
Old 03-21-08, 11:58 PM   #1020
methimpikehoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyeagle
Most of whats been posted lately is Full Terrain Experience(FTX), which is $27. Thats what all of my shots have been.
Very good. Is that a monster performance hit?