Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-17-06, 04:25 PM   #13
wschutzer

Default Re: black screen with nvidia 1.0.9625

Lonni,

Now it fails to start. It seems to be segfaulting in the nvidia driver. kernel 2.6.18-1.2798.fc6 is just out and I also got the 9626 driver. I'll also give them a try.

Waldeck
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (102.9 KB, 265 views)

Last edited by wschutzer; 10-17-06 at 04:51 PM.
wschutzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-06, 04:58 PM   #14
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Can you try:
Option "IgnoreDisplayDevice" "CRT"

Have you verified that you're using the latest BIOS?
Does this problem persist in 1.0-9626?

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-06, 05:22 PM   #15
UncleZeiv

First of all: I have the same Toshiba laptop as wschutzer, except that is called 1410-303 here in Italy. I have a Nvidia GeForce4 420 Go as well.

Now, the strangest thing happened to me. All drivers until 7*** worked like a charm for me, except I had to cope with EDID problems (the monitor lies about its dimensions, asserting that it is less than 1024 px wide!). Drivers from 8*** series don't work at all: black screen and mandatory hard reset.

Recently, I tried 9625 and it worked! I just had to disable EDIDs and ask for "ExactModeTimingsDVI", otherwise I would get a nvidia-auto-select mode (800x600).

Then, I bought an external flat panel, 1680x1050. The monitor worked after adding the proper modeline.

Since then, I cannot work with my laptop alone! My card seems to work only with an external monitor. Note: this is true only under linux: windows, with a very old driver (in fact the version shipped with the laptop) continues to run smoothly.

I tried many options but to no avail. Enabling EDIDs results in an immediate crash (signal received). Running X results in a black screen with some artifacts, as if I was trying to run a not supported mode (with high refresh rates). I tried also 1024x768_60 to no avail. Even lesser resolutions don't work at all.

How is this possible? I can't understand. How can the use of an external panel render the card unusable?

Let me also add that on some runs also a ghost CRT was detected: in those cases I tried the various "ConnectedMonitor", "UseDisplayDevice" to no avail.

I tried also with 9626 but nothing changed. Please have a look at my bug report, thank you.
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (108.8 KB, 264 views)
Old 10-17-06, 05:49 PM   #16
wschutzer

Lonni,

Here are the results with the new kernel and new driver. I have two different scenarios:

1. With very few options in the device section, the result is again a segfault.

2. With the same options I was using with the previous drivers, I get a black screen.

The respective bug reports are attached. I had tried the Option "IgnoreDisplayDevice" "CRT" before and I tried it again this time, but there was no change.

Thanks,
Waldeck

PS: Hey UncleZeiv, the 8xxx drivers were working well for me, with some tweaking that is. Have a look at the xorg.conf file included in my bug reports. Perhaps it'll work for you!
I tried yours on my computer and the strange thing is that I also have a phantom CRT, but the DFP stays black.
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report-1.log (103.7 KB, 171 views)
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report-2.log (119.9 KB, 150 views)

Last edited by wschutzer; 10-18-06 at 09:23 AM.
Old 10-18-06, 08:05 AM   #17
NeySlim

Same drivers, same card, toshiba too (Satellite pro 2100), same options etc ...

Black screen or segfault

It doesn't crash with the black bar bug tweaks, I just have lines everywhere on screen.

Last edited by NeySlim; 10-19-06 at 04:11 AM.
NeySlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-06, 09:20 AM   #18
wschutzer

Hi Lonni,

I forgot to mention that the last BIOS update for my computer was out in 2003 shortly after I bought it and it did the upgrade. The behaviour is exactly the same with either 9625 and 9626: black screen or segfault. It appears that the segfault has something to do with the wrong EDID's. BTW it would be nice if this could be fixed too.

Perhaps this is a minor detail, but I noticed the backlight stays on.

Thanks,
Waldeck
Old 10-18-06, 09:29 AM   #19
macana

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
macana,
I requested that you use "1024x768_75_0". According to your bug report, you're using "1280x1024_60_0".

Thanks,
Lonni
I did it, now here is the bug report
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (83.1 KB, 171 views)
macana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-06, 11:11 AM   #20
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

macana,
According to the bug report, you're hitting a completely different problem now than before. X is hanging when loading the glx extension. Was this bug report generated while X was hung?

I don't see an installer log in your bug report. How did you install the driver?

Thanks,
Lonni

Old 10-18-06, 12:33 PM   #21
macana

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
macana,
According to the bug report, you're hitting a completely different problem now than before. X is hanging when loading the glx extension. Was this bug report generated while X was hung?

I don't see an installer log in your bug report. How did you install the driver?

Thanks,
Lonni
All the bug report are generated while X was hung
I emerge Gentoo's nvidia-drivers portage, so now I don't know whether there is a installer log, I will check it.
macana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-06, 01:38 PM   #22
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Please verify whether this reproduces with the official 1.0-9626 driver package. If so, I'd like to see a new bug report.

Thanks,
Lonni
Old 10-18-06, 05:06 PM   #23
UncleZeiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by wschutzer
PS: Hey UncleZeiv, the 8xxx drivers were working well for me, with some tweaking that is.
First of all, thank you for your suggestion. But please explain what you mean with tweaking, I thought you said "The previous versions of the driver will freeze my system, so I'm just sticking with the nv driver for the moment."?

Quote:
Have a look at the xorg.conf file included in my bug reports. Perhaps it'll work for you!
Unfortunately, it doesn't, neither in the nvidia-light, nor in the nvidia-full version
Thank you anyway.

Quote:
I tried yours on my computer and the strange thing is that I also have a phantom CRT, but the DFP stays black.
Now that's weird! Anyway, may I stress again that the 9625 DID WORK for me when I installed them; they STOPPED working AFTER I attached an external monitor, when trying to use my laptop standalone. They continue to work if I attach the external monitor!

This is really strange. Now I had to revert to 7676 and kernel 2.6.15.6 (the latest kernel for which 7676 compiles).

I attach the "bug report" for this other configuration, which actually DOES work, in case somebody (possibly nvidia staff), want to compare it with the non-working configuration I posted before.
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (90.3 KB, 138 views)
Old 10-19-06, 10:28 AM   #24
ursvik

I want to enter a me-too !
Same computer Toshiba Sat 1410 geforce 4 420 go
1.0-9626 drivers, 2.6.16.17 kernel. xorg 6.9

it was all black....

After following the advice "UseDisplayDevice" "DFP" it turned to somethin similar to bad tv reception. in the log i noticed it detects a connected crt, but there is none...

I have had no hangs, x has always quit on alt+f4 + l or ctrl+alt+backspace but no picture, not even the one with the black stripe to the right.

There should be a special toshiba satelllite 14?? linux nvidia care team
I could spare my satellite if i got a cool enough laptop in return. You should have one just as a relevant testing platform.
ursvik is offline   Reply With Quote