Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-20-06, 04:56 AM   #13
energyman76b

Default Re: Apparent root hole in nVidia drivers, what to do?

It worked fine 6h ago
energyman76b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-06, 05:17 AM   #14
fledge

Thumbs up Re: Apparent root hole in nVidia drivers, what to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robster
Aha!

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=78521 is exactly what I was hoping to see from nVidia.

Thanks a lot guys, the speed and completeness of the response are indeed admirable.
I (and many others, I think...) REALLY appreciate this, because providing fixed drivers for the current and legacy versions was the RIGHT thing to do.

Thank you guys!
fledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-06, 06:00 AM   #15
fledge

Red face Re: Apparent root hole in nVidia drivers, what to do?

Woops, I got hold of the wrong end of the stick, there are no fixed legacy drivers available yet...
I hope nVidia will release it soon, because "not enabled by default" is not a good reason for leaving this bug "unfixed"....
fledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-06, 07:20 AM   #16
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

I don't know why the knowledge base article is inaccessible, but one of the things it points out is that the legacy drivers are *not* vulnerable, even with RenderAccel enabled.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-06, 07:58 AM   #17
Robster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumboot
Brilliant. They've "released" a statement, but the page they point to requires some kind of login.
Ooops! That seems like a bit of a ****-up

Well, when I posted my comment, there was no login required.

It gets worse, I decided to try creating an account to look at the advisory, but after filling in the fields I got a rather sad-looking error: "The account was not created due to an internal error"...

OK, so the advisory basically said "Legacy drivers are not vulnerable, the only vulnerable drivers are the last couple of the 8xxx series. The problem has not existed for 2 years, but there was a problem (in the x.org code, not nVidia's) a couple of years ago which produced the same symptom. nVidia found out about this a month or two ago and has been working to fix it".

There was a bit more to it that I can't remember. But if you're using legacy drivers or the 9xxx-series betas, you have no problem. If you're using 8xxx-series, you should either disable RenderAccel in your xorg.conf or upgrade to the newly-released 8776 driver.
Robster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-06, 03:05 PM   #18
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

The security announcement should be visible again, there was a temporary server issue earlier this morning.

thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote