Old 02-22-03, 05:27 PM   #1
trekjunky

Send a message via AIM to trekjunky Send a message via Yahoo to trekjunky
Thumbs up Red Hat 8.0 Kernel 2.4.18-14 and NVIDIA work together

Systems Specs:
800 MHZ Athlon
NVIDIA TNT2 video card
Redhat 8.0 with kernel 2.4.18-14

It all started when friend1 at work told me I could install the Windows version of UT GOTY using a patch for Linux. Keep in mind that my installation of Red Hat 8.0 was the first time I've even played with Linux since Red Hat 6.x and the install was only a week old. Anyway, I installed UT correctly, but the Video was sluggish and choppy. Basically, I couldn't play the game.

Friend1 found the correct driver for me, so I downloaded the kernel and GLX. I used the Gnome Packages GUI to install them. I rebooted and my Gnome GUI wouldn't start. What you need to know at this point is the fact that I seen this annoying animated red dot near the clock in my Gnome GUI and clicked on it. I was mesmerized with all the updates that my system needed, so I obligingly updated my Linux Kernel among other things. Well, I found out in the end that the Kernel upgrade didn't go as well as it told me it did.

Anyway, I edited my XF86Config and got Gnome to work again. I made a backup copy of the XF86Config that didn't work. I called it XF86Config.ut.

Friend1 taught me the rpm -qa|grep kernel command to find the NVIDIA Drivers to uninstall them. I replace kernel with NVIDIA and got rpm -qa|grep NVIDIA and it found only the NVIDIA packages. So I began a week of uninstalling (using rpm -e "package") and reinstalling (using the Gnome GUI) different versions. Some of the versions I compiled from source. Nothing worked.

What worked:

Friend1 taught me the command rpmbuild --rebuild "package source", but I didn't notice a certain "error" till Friend 2 taught me the command rpm -ivh "package" to run from the command line. When I ran Friend2's command for the first time I noticed that the compiled NVIDIA kernel was compiled against an older version of Linux Kernel Source than I was using. AHA!!!!

So, I used Friend1's rpm -qa|grep kernel command and found the "better" versions of Linux Kernel and the version that my code was compiling against. I decided to start as fresh as I could without formatting my drive, so this is what I did:

I uninstalled the "better" versions using the command rpm -e "package"
I Clicked Start Menu, System Settings, Packages and uninstalled Kernel Development.
I rebooted.
I reinstalled Kernel Development.
I downloaded NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-3123.src.rpm and NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-3123.i386.rpm.
I used gedit to save the file /etc/X11/XF86Config as /home/XF86Config and change the driver line from "nv" to "nvidia" and then saved it.
I opened a Terminal window and typed su root, hit enter, and supplied a password when asked.
I did a change directory to the directory I downloaded NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-3123.src.rpm
I then typed: rpmbuild --rebuild NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-3123.src.rpm and hit enter.
It created the file /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-3123.i386.rpm and I checked to make sure it was there.
I then typed: rpm -ivh /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-3123.i386.rpm
You might see something about export tainted, ignore it
I then closed the Terminal Window
I logged out (DO NOT REBOOT JUST LOG OUT)
I pressed Ctrl+Alt+F1 and was brought to a command line
I logged in as root.
I did a change directory to the directory I downloaded NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-3123.i386.rpm
I then typed: rpm -ivh NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-3123.i386.rpm
MAKE A BACKUP OF /etc/X11/XF86Config
I then typed: cp /home/XF86Config /etc/X11/XF86Config and overwrote the file
I then typed: reboot
It rebooted and worked!!!!
trekjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-03, 05:49 PM   #2
Andy Mecham
l33t master

This brings up an important point.

If you update your kernel, you *must* reinstall the NVIDIA driver. Usually, this means also updating your kernel-source package and rebuilding the driver from SRPM or source tarball. Most of the auto-update tools will update your kernel, but not your kernel-source package, so you might need to do this by hand.

--andy