Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-23-06, 09:49 PM   #1
garry.peters

Default Has ANYONE managed to get xinerama working with 9625, Xorg 7.1 and Compiz?

Guys

I've now fiddled around for a week and would appreciate some input from the mods if possible.

Is xinerama supported with Xorg 7.1 and compiz?

I have 4 x 2405FPW's hanging off 2 x Quadro FX 3500's on a NF4 board using FC6.

I must have tried 20-30 different configs and cannot get xinerama to support the monitors as one 3840 x 2400 desktop that also will work with compiz.

Is this just a 'wont work' situation at the moment and is it a driver or Xorg issue?

TIA
garry.peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-06, 05:18 AM   #2
tante

Default Re: Has ANYONE managed to get xinerama working with 9625, Xorg 7.1 and Compiz?

I run a multi monitor setup @ 3200x1200 with a Nvidia card, so that seems not to be the problem.
If it's about compiz not knowing how to maximize windows properly: That's compiz' fault, if you use the fork "beryl" it will work.
tante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-06, 12:11 PM   #3
rcarver

Default Re: Has ANYONE managed to get xinerama working with 9625, Xorg 7.1 and Compiz?

Looks like you're using 2 screens - are you using xinerama or twinview?

I also can't get beryl or compiz to run with xinerama and 9625 drivers. I'm running two cards and three screens. I get No RandR extension even though its loaded. When I drop xinerama It loads, but then I lose the ability to cross my screens.

blech
rcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-06, 05:08 PM   #4
fozner

Twinview setup has gotten so easy it works out of the box on Fedora Core 6. Just run the NVIDIA SETTINGS tool in the App menu of KDE or Gnome and you're set.

There is no longer any need to muck about in xorg.conf unless you want to enable the fancy wobbly desktop effects of compiz. I stuck the details of this on my site, www.thenerdshow.com

EDIT: I forgot to mention I'm using version 96.26 now. Get it.

Last edited by fozner; 10-31-06 at 07:27 PM.
fozner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-06, 03:14 PM   #5
dcoats

use twinview and beryl , beryl has its own xinerama support dont add xinerama to xorg.conf and beryl will do it for you. Using the beryl-manager you can still switch between compiz and beryl if you have them both installed.
dcoats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-06, 08:30 AM   #6
rcarver

twinview only is fine if you are at two heads or less, unfortunately, if you're using more than two heads, twinview gives you two independent x servers and then you can't drag and drop between them.

Until twinview supports multiple cards/more than 2 heads, I'm stuck with xinerama

When I don't add xinerama to my xorg.conf I get independent xserver screens

BTW, dcoats, you wouldn't happen to be a Dan Coates who did software development in the Denver area in the mid to late 90's, would you?

-- Randy
rcarver is offline   Reply With Quote