Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-24-06, 08:25 AM   #1
Arvendui

Default 3d Acceleration not working with 8776 / 64-bit / SLED / 2x 7600GT

I seem to have a strange problem with the 64-bit 8776 and my system.

I have 2 7600GTs, which work perfectly with 3d acceleration in windows, but in Linux accleration simply isn't happening. The nvidia drivers are installed correctly, and the nvidia logo shows up on boot, but glxgears is running slowly and every 3d app is using loads of CPU and slowing right down.

There are no errors and no connected warnings in the Xorg.0.log file. As far as I can tell from that everything should be running fine!

But clearly there is a problem with the direct rendering, but glxinfo shows it as enabled, as does the nvidia-settings tool. I've tried reinstalling a couple of times but to no avail.

I'm just about to try the new beta drivers (I have no net at home so I'm running them over on a USB stick) but I'm not confident that this will fix it.

My set up in more detail:

nForce 5 series AM2 with AMD X2 4000+
2x 7600GT
1GiB DDR2

SLED 10 x86_64
(same problem with Mandriva 2007 - the only other 64-bit distro I had at hand to try)

My xorg.conf is as far as I can tell correctly configured. I have 2 screens, one running on the primary port of each graphics card, then set with RightOf and run with xinerama. The readme for the driver says this should run fine.

On mandriva enabling SLi (I haven't tried it yet on SLED) worked fine but still didn't give me hardware acceleration. Enabling the SLi display monitor just shows no activity in either card (because they weren't being used to render). It just doesn't seem to make sense!

I've reinstalled, installed mesa and then reinstalled again, tried every possible combination and even tried another distro but not got anywhere.

Any ideas?
Arvendui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-06, 09:31 AM   #2
evgenij007

Default Re: 3d Acceleration not working with 8776 / 64-bit / SLED / 2x 7600GT

It is problem with RightOF.
evgenij007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-06, 01:22 PM   #3
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Please generate and attach an nvidia-bug-report.log.

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-06, 09:27 PM   #4
Arvendui

Will do; I've tried running without RightOf but that didn't work. I'll get back to you asap with the log.
Old 10-28-06, 10:29 AM   #5
Arvendui

Bug report attached.
Attached Files
File Type: zip nvidia-bug-report.zip (33.3 KB, 106 views)
Old 10-28-06, 08:51 PM   #6
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

I have a few questions:
0) Why are you disabling ACPI? Does this problem persist if ACPI isn't disabled? Also note that SLI will not work if ACPI is disabled.
1) Does this problem persist with the 1.0-9626 driver?
2) Does this problem persist with a single display (without SLI)?
3) Have you verified that you're using the latest BIOS for the motherboard?
4) Does booting with the pci=conf1 kernel parameter have any impact?
5) Which applications (other than glxgears, which is not a benchmark) are performing poorly, and how are you measuring the performance?

Thanks,
Lonni
Old 11-02-06, 06:39 AM   #7
Arvendui

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
I have a few questions:
0) Why are you disabling ACPI? Does this problem persist if ACPI isn't disabled? Also note that SLI will not work if ACPI is disabled.
1) Does this problem persist with the 1.0-9626 driver?
2) Does this problem persist with a single display (without SLI)?
3) Have you verified that you're using the latest BIOS for the motherboard?
4) Does booting with the pci=conf1 kernel parameter have any impact?
5) Which applications (other than glxgears, which is not a benchmark) are performing poorly, and how are you measuring the performance?

Thanks,
Lonni
1) ACPI enabled makes my pc not boot in SLED. It worked in mandriva though, and neither did 3d.
2) Yes it does, sorry.
3) I don't think I am, I could try a flash, though the board is brand new so I'd hope it is pretty recent.
3,4) I'll try this.
5) Glx also ran slowly, I have a very small number of 3d apps to test. All 3d is using CPU (100% of one processor) and running very slowly. So I think this is a problem.

I'll try the other driver and get back to you.
Old 11-02-06, 11:56 AM   #8
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Which applications (other than glxgears, which is not a benchmark) are performing poorly, and how are you measuring the performance?

Saying "running slowly" is not an objective means of measuring performance.

Old 11-08-06, 09:29 AM   #9
Arvendui

Well crawls along would be a better term. Very jumpy indeed, maybe under 10 fps for Xgl, though still about 10k for GLXGears, but this is more due to my CPU.

Whenever I run a 3d application it uses up 50% CPU, or 100% of one CPU depending on how you look at it, and my graphics card takes absolutely no strain, when I had SLI enabled on mandriva the SLI graphs showed 0 for each card on everything I ran.

I've just got an x86_64 version of tuxracer, which I ususally use to test this sort of thing, and I will try that driver - unfortunately a lack of net access at home slows what I am doing.

I've been trying to find out why I have ACPI issues, but no one else seems to have the same issues as I do. I can only hope that patching once my SLED install gets online will fix that, and I do not think it is connected to the FX issue. I don't actually mind about SLI on Linux, since this is my dual-monitor working/browsing/and video watching system. Windows is exclusively for games and so has SLI enabled on just one screen.

I'd just like to get 3d acceleration working so that my system isn't so sluggish, the CPU usage moving a window around is just annoying, and never used to be a problem on my old GeForce 6600/Athlon XP 2000 system once I had the nVidia drivers installed.
Old 11-08-06, 11:57 AM   #10
vakont

Hello there!
I too have a problem with the new 9629 drivers. It's not about slowing down, it is about performance. The 3D acceleration does not work on my Maya (or in general). I tried to return back to older drivers, but the 3D acceleration still remains off.

My current system is:
Dual Opteron 250, 64-bit
4 GB RAM
2xGeForce 6800 (on twin-view, not SLI)
2xL768 Eizo 19'' LCD displays
Mandriva PowerPack+ 2007, x86_64

Everything I have tried so far has not been able to correct this problem. I will keep on looking.
vakont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-06, 12:13 PM   #11
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Please generate and post an nvidia-bug-report.log along with details on how to reproduce the Maya problem.

Thanks,
Lonni
Old 11-09-06, 07:41 AM   #12
vakont

I also tried the new beta drivers, still the 3D Accelerator under the K-Info Center (the OpenGL information tag) is reported as unknown.

Here I include the bug report log, in compressed "tar.gz" format (txt was too large). What has happened is that since I tried to upgrade is that the system no longer identifies the 3D Accelerator. I can still switch options (such as antialias, anisotropic etc), but they are all applied through the CPU, not the GPU of the GFX card. Therefore the frame rate has dropped dramatically . The 3D acceleration has dropped in ALL applications and I am even experiencing significant glitches on vector graphics and Flash files. A currently 400,000 polygon model I'm constructing has brought the system down to 4fps, even in wireframe and it seems that there is no optimization either on Maya's side (its speed depends only on how many polygons are visible, the closer you get to an object, the less polygons are seen, the faster it goes... it no longer applies).

If you have any suggestions, I would highly appreciate it! Rolling back the drivers though has not produced any results.

My guess is that it has something to do with the Kernel module. During boot, it still shows the 8774 version. NVidia's ftp site says doesn't have a precompiled version of my Kernel module, so the installer builds it... but I am not seeing it.

Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: gz log.tar.gz (28.5 KB, 88 views)
vakont is offline   Reply With Quote