Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 7, 8, And 9 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-25-06, 01:58 PM   #253
J-Mag
Weapon of MassConsumption

Default Re: 8800GTX is selling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2
Believe me.. I know how all of this stuff works; I was preaching to guys for months to go with single-12vrail PSU's because of the distribution problems with amps on multi-rail PSU's a few months ago, but with the advent of triple and quad-rail PSU's, those problems are becoming less and less as long as you have at least a pea-sized brain sitting on your neck and can figure out what PCI-E connector is pulling from what rail.
OK so you are assuming Quad rail PSUs are better than dual or tri rail for some reason? The number of rails is of very little importance. What is important is amperage distribution of the harness. For instance, if one was to use an older 1kw turbocool they had quad rail, yet only ONE rail was dedicated to the PEG connectors it was having problems with X-fire. PC Power redisgned the rail distribution when this problem arose and that is why you see 3 different verisons of the 1kw PSU.

Quote:
Single-rail PSU's are all good and fine. I own a Silverstone Zeus ST56ZF that has 38A on a single rail. But in the long run, they are less efficient than splitting up the power draw among multiple rails. Single-12vrail PSU's usually have less combined amps and have to push more wattage to get the same amount of power as multi-rails.
Efficiency also has very little to do with amperage distribution, I don't know where you got that idea...

Quote:
As long as you know where the power-draw is coming from on the PSU that you are purchasing, you are good to go. Here is a good review from JonnyGuru's site on the Silverstone Zeus Quad-rail that I just ordered. If you notice, every one of the PCI-E connectors are labeled so that you know where your power-draw is coming from. And 3 of those quad-rails can be used for your graphics cards--giving you a combined 54A (minus what goes to your drives and case fans, which usually isn't much.)
Again, I am not saying YOUR PSU won't work so you don't need to defend your purchase.

You generalized assuming all quad rail PSUs are capable, when that is obviously not the fact.
J-Mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-06, 02:03 PM   #254
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

Quote:
Sabersix won't be the only one with a kickass system. I'm sure Jakup, myself, and a few others will have something to say about that.
Old 10-25-06, 02:10 PM   #255
hirantha
SUC SUDO

if all this is true i need a card with 750RAM not 640
hirantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-06, 02:11 PM   #256
mullet

Is Jakup getting a new case?
Old 10-25-06, 02:11 PM   #257
Xion X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mag
OK so you are assuming Quad rail PSUs are better than dual or tri rail for some reason? The number of rails is of very little importance. What is important is amperage distribution of the harness. For instance, if one was to use an older 1kw turbocool they had quad rail, yet only ONE rail was dedicated to the PEG connectors it was having problems with X-fire. PC Power redisgned the rail distribution when this problem arose and that is why you see 3 different verisons of the 1kw PSU.
Well, duh. Find me a recently built quad-rail PSU that does what you're talking about, though. Most of them now leave the graphics sitting on at least two different rails all to themselves--or at least one entirely dedicated rail with very little power-draw on the other.

Quote:
Efficiency also has very little to do with amperage distribution, I don't know where you got that idea...
Okay, let's have a look at the top tier of power-supplies and see if there is any kind of a correlation.

The strongest single-rail PSU out right now is the PC Power & Cooling 1000W. And it has a total of 72A sitting on that rail.

Now compare that to the Enermax Galaxy. 1000W and it has a total of 85A across 5 different 12v rails.

Now let's look at some 850W'ers. My Silverstone 850W has just as many amps as the PCP&C (72) and is a quad-rail.

By comparison, Zippy's top-of-the-line 850W model is a single-rail and only puts out 60A by comparison to my 72A.

... And you're telling me there's no substance to these #'s? No correlation at all? Mmmmmmkay.

Quote:
Again, I am not saying YOUR PSU won't work so you don't need to defend your purchase.
I'm not defending my purchase, dork. I'm just telling it like it is. What are you running in your system? Perhaps it is you who feel the need to defend something here?

Quote:
You generalized assuming all quad rail PSUs are capable, when that is obviously not the fact.
No, I didn't. Slawter has a PCP&C and I have a Silverstone. I never specified "ALL" like you say; my vague statement could've been referring to a comparison of those two name-brands, if I wanted it to. I think it's you who are doing a little bit too much insinuating. It seems you're just trying to incite an argument, for whatever reason.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-06, 02:25 PM   #258
J-Mag

Quote:
I'm not defending my purchase, dork.
As a psych degree holder you sure seem immature. Go analyze your Oedipal complex...
Old 10-25-06, 02:29 PM   #259
TiKiMaN1

Talking Re: 8800GTX is selling

Quote:
Sabersix won't be the only one with a kickass system. I'm sure Jakup, myself, and a few others will have something to say about that.
I'm sure lots of of us will have very nice systems. But I know of no one who will have a modded case (with his name etched in the window and other cool features) with a fetchin' Vapochill. He will be running his CPU in the negatives C's (negative celcius---his cooler costs about $1000 alone). Yes I think there is a very strong argument that Sabersix will have the best rig.

Maybe if I cut a window into my Alienware case that had a Tiki Etched into it and got the vapochill I would have a small chance.

But every freaking component in Sabersix1's rig is only going to be the best of the best.

But you never know jAkUp may have something up his sleeve.
TiKiMaN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-06, 02:29 PM   #260
Xion X2

Quote:
As a psych degree holder you sure seem immature. Go analyze Oedipal complex...
Stalker alert! Stalker alert! I have another one out there watching me!

LMFAO!

Stop by my office for a free session, J-Mag.

... on the other hand, don't. I don't want to wake up drugged and handcuffed to a wooden chair and sitting in a circle of lit candles in your basement.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz

Old 10-25-06, 02:35 PM   #261
J-Mag

Quote:
Stalker alert! Stalker alert! I have another one out there watching me!

LMFAO!

Stop by my office for a free session, J-Mag.

... on the other hand, don't. I don't want to wake up drugged and handcuffed to a wooden chair and sitting in a circle of lit candles in your basement.
LMAO! I have used the " I am in the middle of a sacrificial ceremony" excuse before actually...

You don't have a PHD do you?

I think Stalker is a little harsh... You annouce your degree regularly, I have seen you post it a few times.
Old 10-25-06, 02:38 PM   #262
TiKiMaN1

So anyway G80 sure looks beautiful to me.
TiKiMaN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-06, 02:41 PM   #263
Xion X2

Quote:
You don't have a PHD do you?
Sure I do. Me and Dr. Phil are real tight.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz

Last edited by Xion X2; 10-25-06 at 03:20 PM.
Old 10-25-06, 02:48 PM   #264
MaXThReAT
GTX to the MaX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiKiMaN1
I'm sure lots of of us will have very nice systems. But I know of no one who will have a modded case (with his name etched in the window and other cool features) with a fetchin' Vapochill. Yes I think there is a very strong argument that Sabersix will have the best rig.

But every freaking component in Sabersix1's rig is only going to be the best of the best.

But you never know jAkUp may have something up his sleeve.
Totally agree Sabersix's comp will be awesome but you guys just wait, my car is paid off next month and coming into 07 I'll be building a new rig and will spare no expense, lots of extra money, that just may rival the best on here, just wait, Oooo I can't wait. Edit: O and my rig beams my name down on to the floor in blue LED and on the LCDg15 but it's not etched.
Game On...
SB X-Fi FPS / Z-5500 + Buttkicker!
"Don't mind the posts, I've been around longer than most know."
MaXThReAT is offline   Reply With Quote