Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-13-06, 12:01 AM   #25
Merritt459

Default Re: Nvidia Mcp51 High Definition Audio, really no hopes?

Brand new to linux-was having the same problem with the same audio chip on a compaq presario v6120us with suse10.1
Just installed 10.2 and audio works (haven't checked headphones yet though)
Merritt459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-06, 12:07 AM   #26
gschroeder

I recently installed Slackware 11.0 on an HP dv9000z, which has MCP51 HD Audio. Slackware 11.0 has the 1.0.11 version of the alsa utilities. I also upgraded to the 2.6.19 kernel and selected the Intel HD Audio under PCI devices. This genertes the snd-hda-intel module. When booted, the module was automatically loaded, and sound worked, both speakers and headphones.

As a note, alsamixer shows the Chip as "Conexant ID 5045". Only four controls are shown in the mixer: "Headphone", "PCM", "Capture", and "Speaker".

So there is hope, as I found out.
gschroeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-06, 03:26 AM   #27
Jeff C

Quote:
Originally Posted by gschroeder
I recently installed Slackware 11.0 on an HP dv9000z, which has MCP51 HD Audio. Slackware 11.0 has the 1.0.11 version of the alsa utilities. I also upgraded to the 2.6.19 kernel and selected the Intel HD Audio under PCI devices. This genertes the snd-hda-intel module. When booted, the module was automatically loaded, and sound worked, both speakers and headphones.

As a note, alsamixer shows the Chip as "Conexant ID 5045". Only four controls are shown in the mixer: "Headphone", "PCM", "Capture", and "Speaker".

So there is hope, as I found out.
You don't have the same Audio card as us. We have Gateway laptops (I'm sure there are various models) with the MCP51 HDA chip. I've tried alsa-drivers 1.0.14rc1 and still have NO SOUND.

The sound registers on totem's visual-audio meter, but I hear nothing. With o r without headphones. Been working on this for about 3 months now and still nothing. Audio works perfectly in Windows.

*sigh*

Here's some additional information for you guys. Try this at home.

aplay -l
Code:
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: STAC92xx Analog [STAC92xx Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 1: STAC92xx Digital [STAC92xx Digital]
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 6: Si3054 Modem [Si3054 Modem]
cat /proc/asound/cards
Code:
 0 [NVidia         ]: HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
                      HDA NVidia at 0xb0000000 irq 225
If you have no audio, and all the modules load fine, then you probably have the same specs as I do.
Jeff C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-06, 08:39 AM   #28
naudefj

Same problem here

See details @ http://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=37894
naudefj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-06, 07:47 PM   #29
squirrelacrossk

I was searching for the answer to this question for a while and worked out an answer. I'm trying to post back to all the forums I found with my the answer, but to save myself some time I just made a post in my blog and I'm just going to link it in.
http://hp-dv6000z.blogspot.com/2006/12/sound-off.html
Fair warning, I've only got it working using OSS compatibility to ALSA so it's not like I've got the whole thing ironed out. It's better than nothing.
squirrelacrossk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-06, 11:25 PM   #30
chris_startx

Quote:
Originally Posted by nageroc
I have the same notebook and it is mostly NVIDIA parts. It took a long time to get a proper graphics driver and I still have problems (vtys are outputting garbage now). As for sound, I've filed a bug with the ALSA folks and have received absolutely no feedback. The latest (1.0.13) won't even load.

I bought this laptop thinking that I couldn't go wrong with NVIDIA, but it's looking like I've made a mistake. Too late to get my money back now. Hopefully they will listen to our pleas and work with the ALSA community with this and future hardware.

Chris
Well, it seems we are two of some rare species - (un)happy Gateway MX3410 owners. We even have the same name, my name is Chris too.
So far for my laptop I managed to have touchpad driver working, video driver working at 1280x800 (with the same tty crappy garbage, but actually you can get rid of the crappy garbage if you boot linux with vga=normal instead of vga=791 or anything else... it will have only 80x25 chars on the screen, but hey, it's the best s**t we've got!!), network driver working using nvidia nforce driver. There's no way to make the modem driver working (it's a Windblows-nVidia conspiracy of course, since they put an "Agere" Winmodem crap...). There's no way of making the sound work even though everything seems to be aware of a sound system (like XMMS or anything). I can play audio and video files, the player says sound is working but I hear nothing, the laptop is DEA(F/D?)
The wireless modem may work but I have not had the opportunity to test it thoroughly, I don't have a wireless router. I did install the driver from Andrea Merello though and after the usual headaches I had kwifimanager working and detecting some other wireless networks around (I can see the list of them found by clicking the "Scan for networks" button).

As far as I've seen from my experience, all companies now have a ****ty customer support for linux. I once had a Matrox MGA450 card and their customer support is a bunch of cr*p!! They will NEVER tell you anything to help make their creations work in Linux. No way!! It's top secret!!

For instance this Lonni who is supposed to be from nVidia. Well, he is probably not paid very well to do Linux customer support (or maybe he's not paid at all...). I see and understand he's sick and tired of answering a whole bunch of people with problems (problems generated by nVidia - OK, BUT ON THEIR FRONTPAGE, WOWWW, THEY ARE BOASTING THEIR LINUX SUPPORT IS RIGHT THERE FOR YOU - YEAH RIGHT, THEY'RE MORE FULL OF S**T THAN MICROS**T). But on the other side, he is probably pretty expert; would it have been so hard to just tell me in a few words what the ***k do I have to do to make the nforce audio driver work in an ALSA environment?? No, he gives me only BS, does not even read my post (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...t=67495&page=3) and just decrees "nvsound is no longer supported". That is "sorry, starting with you as a first jackass, we don't have to give any information about nvsound, hahaha, just cause I say so, so ***k off and don't bother us again!"
According to him, I should use snd_hda_intel. Well, I do, but this piece of hardware is deaf and dumb even if the driver loads perfectly, and about that the big guy does not have any comment because ALSA is no longer his responsibility since it's not part of nVidia, hahaha!!!

Well, so much about the glorious "The NVIDIA Linux unified drivers are always right on, supporting the latest, greatest features." on the Linux driver portal page of nVidia. It should be read "The NVIDIA Linux disorganized drivers are always left/right in the middle of nowhere, supporting no latest greatest anything. Have a nice day since you paid for our crap anyway"

I'm sick and tired of all this nVidia BS and BJ's

Last edited by chris_startx; 12-27-06 at 11:36 PM.
chris_startx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-07, 08:53 PM   #31
nageroc

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrelacrossk
Fair warning, I've only got it working using OSS compatibility to ALSA so it's not like I've got the whole thing ironed out. It's better than nothing.
No luck with OSS here.

Chris
nageroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-07, 09:30 PM   #32
nageroc

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_startx
Well, it seems we are two of some rare species - (un)happy Gateway MX3410 owners. We even have the same name, my name is Chris too.
Brothers in arms.

Quote:
So far for my laptop I managed to have touchpad driver working, video driver working at 1280x800 (with the same tty crappy garbage, but actually you can get rid of the crappy garbage if you boot linux with vga=normal instead of vga=791 or anything else... it will have only 80x25 chars on the screen, but hey, it's the best s**t we've got!!)
I got the touchpad working, too. Or rather, I managed to disable it (my thumbs tend to hit the pad when I type which always wreaks havok) but with KSynaptics installed, I can re-enable it if need be.

I tried "vga=normal" but that does not work. It's possible I am missing some kernel configuration. I don't mind 80x25 on the console; I just want it available in case I need to drop out of X for maintenance.

Quote:
The wireless modem may work but I have not had the opportunity to test it thoroughly, I don't have a wireless router.
Wireless network card, actually, and I couldn't get it to work. My system kept crashing every time I tried to load the driver. Can't blame nVidia for this one as it's made by Realtek Semiconductor Co. In the end, I bought a wireless USB card from Netgear.

My system was in a strange state for about a month because the default clock source changed after a kernel update. Again, not an nVidia problem, but rather an issue with how the clock works on a system with more than one CPU. I was able to fix it by adding "clocksource=acpi_pm" or "clock=pmtmr" (which one depends on the kernel version).

While I like a challenge, this one has been tiring. This notebook has the potential of being half-decent. I don't even need sound most of the time, but I have this nice wide screen that is begging for some DVDs to be played on it.

Chris
nageroc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-07, 01:56 PM   #33
tmchardy

I use Fedora Core 6 on a Compaq Presario 6030 and have the onboard nVidia MCP51 working. Here's what I had to do (and you can try to tailor it to match your OS/hardware as best you can):

I did NOT use 1.0.12 or 1.0.14, neither of these worked. 1.0.13 did - with a trick.

1) I had to install 1.0.13
2) I had to install the alsa-kmdl for my kernel
3) Edited modprobe.conf for the following:
-options snd-hda-intel index=0
+options snd-hda-intel index=0 disable_msi=1

This worked for me. However, I do get two seperate mixer controls (one for my headphones, one for my onboard speakers). I don't know if it will help anyone else.
tmchardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-07, 09:31 AM   #34
Farcaller

Asus F3T, MCP51, no sound here
Code:
$ alsamixer
alsamixer: function snd_mixer_load failed: Invalid argument
hda_codec: num_steps = 0 for NID=0x15
PS: I've been choosing from AMD/nVidia based notebook and Intel/Intel one. Seems that I've missed this time
Farcaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-07, 12:09 PM   #35
version7

I understand the frustration you all have with sound not working in systems with this HDA chip, but you may well be "barking up the wrong tree".

Like AC97, HDA is a "front-end" controller to a "back-end" codec that actually generates the sound. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC97 for more details.

The 'lspci' command will show you what AC97 or HDA chip you have, but something like 'cat /proc/asound/cards' would show you what "back-end" you actually need support for.

For example, on this three-year-old Gateway M675 laptop:

# lspci | grep -i audio

00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)

# cat /proc/asound/cards

0 [ICH5 ]: ICH4 - Intel ICH5
Intel ICH5 with STAC9758,59 at 0xe0000c00, irq 16

A few years ago, I had to create an initialization patch for ALSA to get the STAC9758 to work in the M675.

The datasheets for the STAC chips are available, but the trick with them is that they have multiple inputs and outputs. Motherboards or sound cards that use the chips may connect these inputs and outputs differently. So initialization patches are necessary in those cases.

To create the patches, one will need to:

a) use trial and error (as I did)
b) get information about the motherboard or sound card from the manufacturer (the actual makers - for example, recent Gateway laptops use motherboards made by Arima, Quanta, etc.)
c) other ways?

Unless an ALSA developer has access to the same hardware that you have, you may wish to provide feedback to them on the ALSA development mailing list(s). Someone may be able to help figure out the proper initialization that's needed for your system.

I hope this information helps.
version7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-07, 12:44 AM   #36
Farcaller

F3T fixed in gentoo's alsa-driver-1.0.14_rc2_p3234
Farcaller is offline   Reply With Quote