Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > General Software

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-28-06, 04:23 PM   #1
ynnek

Default Firefox 2.0, unexpected shutdown recovery, how to disable

Hey,

For some reason, FireFox 2.0 always tells me it had an unexpected shutdown and can recover, when I first turn on my computer. How do I disable this feature? its annoying.

Its probably cause i just hit shutdown when iturn my comptuer off, killing firefox....
ynnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-06, 06:23 PM   #2
retsam

Default Re: Firefox 2.0, unexpected shutdown recovery, how to disable

ya know i get the same thing but i like it. when i open it back up all the links and the tabs open back up to where i left off.
retsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-06, 05:51 AM   #3
rewt
mmm, Beer.. :drooling:

It is good practice to close all open programs before shutting down.

Besides, Firefox already has feature built in to remember your tabs. It's in options somewhere. You don't have to shut down improperly for it.
Athlon64 Venice 3000+ @ 2.6GHz (4100+) · Win XP Pro x86, Vista Ultimate x64 · eVGA K8-NF41 nForce4 SLi · Corsair XMS 1.5GB PC3200 CAS2/1T · eVGA 2x 6600GT SLi · Leadtek Winfast TV2000 XP Deluxe · Western Digital Caviar SE ½TB RAID 0/1 · PowerLink LPK2-30 400W · LiteON LDW-411S OC to 811S 8x DVD±R/RW/ROM · MicroAdvantage 64MB QuickiDrive · Samsung SyncMaster 931B 19" LCD · Microsoft Optical Wheel Mouse USB · Sony PSXtoUSB Analog Gamepads · Memorex MX2700 Multimedia Keyboard · Lexmark 3200 Color Jetprinter · nForce Network Controller 1Gb/s LAN (Cable ~3Mb/s down) · ΩPioneer Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound
rewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-06, 03:12 PM   #4
ynnek

Its a good practice for apps to be able to shut themselves down properly when the OS tells it to close or kill itself..

Anyways, I figured it out(or more like googled it out), although you disable the ability for firefox to try to recover where you left off if firefox itself does crash "unexpectedly".

set browser.sessionstore.resume_from_crash to false

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewto...9398f95359475a

This bugs been around for a while it seems.

this guy martin describes it to a T
Quote:
Well, from a developers point of view you're surely right. But from a users point of view it's very misleading. The message says: "Your last Firefox session closed unexpectedly. ...if you think the problem was..."

First the session didn't close unexpectedly. I was very well expecting it to close. After all I had chosen to shut down the system. And second there wasn't any problem. Everything went well (as far as I can tell), and suddenly Firefox is talking about a problem...

What is frightening me is the fact that we are already at RC3 and this bug has only normal severity. For me this problem is so intrusive that I would assign it some higher severity.
Old 10-29-06, 03:55 PM   #5
rewt
mmm, Beer.. :drooling:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynnek
Its a good practice for apps to be able to shut themselves down properly when the OS tells it to close or kill itself..
True, but that's good practice from a developer's point of view.. not a user's point of view.

Good practice from a user's point of view is not shutting down the PC when applications are running with unsaved data.
Athlon64 Venice 3000+ @ 2.6GHz (4100+) · Win XP Pro x86, Vista Ultimate x64 · eVGA K8-NF41 nForce4 SLi · Corsair XMS 1.5GB PC3200 CAS2/1T · eVGA 2x 6600GT SLi · Leadtek Winfast TV2000 XP Deluxe · Western Digital Caviar SE ½TB RAID 0/1 · PowerLink LPK2-30 400W · LiteON LDW-411S OC to 811S 8x DVD±R/RW/ROM · MicroAdvantage 64MB QuickiDrive · Samsung SyncMaster 931B 19" LCD · Microsoft Optical Wheel Mouse USB · Sony PSXtoUSB Analog Gamepads · Memorex MX2700 Multimedia Keyboard · Lexmark 3200 Color Jetprinter · nForce Network Controller 1Gb/s LAN (Cable ~3Mb/s down) · ΩPioneer Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound

Last edited by rewt; 10-29-06 at 04:05 PM.
rewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-06, 04:16 PM   #6
ynnek

Quote:
Originally Posted by rewt
True, but that's from a developer's point of view.. not a user's point of view.
No its both. When shutdown is started, users expect apps and services to gracefully shutdown. For example, IE closes all its windows, Word asks you if you really want to save first before quitting(thus not saving unsaved data), all your services in the background stop, etc.

In the case of firefox, read that quote I posted, on why the current behavior is confusing to users.

EDIT: It would be less confusing if Firefox didn't report an "unexpected" closure in this specific scenario on the restart.