Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-29-06, 06:13 AM   #1
UncleZeiv

Default 420 go, toshiba, 9626 stopped working after connecting external lcd!

I have a Toshiba 1410-303 laptop with a Nvidia GeForce Go 420.

Yes, I am aware that this laptop and similar ones gets a lot of bug reports.
Yes, I have already read many of them.
Yes, I have a custom compiled vanilla kernel and I install the driver directly with no Debian stuff involved.

To make a long story short:
  • 7676 with 2.6.15.6 - works smoothly, I just have to put "IgnoreEDIDs" "true", and set correct values for my monitor in the Monitor section; no need to set any register params for the kernel module;
  • 8XXX with later kernels - freezes the system; black screen; I have not looked a lot into this, though (power cycling every time is not fun)
  • 9625/6 with 2.6.18.1 - USED to work: read below

I installed 9625 to see if it still freezed my system, and it didn't, but it didn't work properly either. After some tests, I got a working config with "UseEDID" "false" and "ExactModeTimingsDVI" "false". And that was it.

BUT, I bought an external lcd panel, 1680x1050. I connected it to my laptop, and I had to re-enable EDIDs to make it work, and I also added a Modeline for 1680x1050. Well, it all went smoothly again...

... until I removed the external monitor! Even reverting the xorg.conf file back to the previous state, it gives me a black screen on my laptops flat panel! Of course I power cycled several times, I even re-installed the driver, tried also the 9626 version, and also updated the kernel (from 2.6.18 to 2.6.18.1) but no changes: black screen.

Reverting to 2.6.15.6 and 7676, everything works again.

Going back to 2.6.18 and 9626, black screen. I am not crazy! I can assure you that IT WORKED before!! I know for sure.

Well then, today I made a few teste following some of the instructions found on this forum from unlucky toshiba owners. They all failed some way or the other.
  • def_xorg_crashes.log - 9626 with clean xorg.conf as created by nvidia-xconfig: X crashes returning to the vt
  • noedid.log - one way to avoid X crash is to disable EDIDs
  • exact_mode.log - another way is to put "ExactModeTimingsDVI" "true"
  • blackscreen.log - I tried some register options such as SoftEDID=0, Mobile=2, here also DetectPrimaryVGA=0, FlatPanelMode=1; I tried all of the Mobile values, to no avail
  • various_options.log - tried this set of options:
    Code:
    Option         "ExactModeTimingsDVI" "true"
    Option         "UseEDIDFreqs" "false"
    Option         "ModeValidation" "NoEdidDFPMaxSizeCheck, NoEdidPClkCheck, NoMaxPClkCheck, NoVesaModes"
  • working_7.log - here is the log of the working 7676 configuration

I hope this bug report is detailed enough... if you nvidia guys need something else, just ask. Thank you!
Attached Files
File Type: log def_xorg_crashes.log (104.1 KB, 113 views)
File Type: zip noedid.log.zip (25.6 KB, 107 views)
File Type: zip exact_mode.log.zip (29.5 KB, 109 views)
File Type: zip blackscreen.log.zip (26.4 KB, 125 views)
File Type: zip various_options.log.zip (26.9 KB, 113 views)
Old 10-29-06, 06:17 AM   #2
UncleZeiv

Default Re: 420 go, toshiba, 9626 stopped working after connecting external lcd!

Missing log.
Attached Files
File Type: zip working-7.log.zip (17.5 KB, 122 views)
Old 11-07-06, 03:25 AM   #3
Magonda

Default Re: 420 go, toshiba, 9626 stopped working after connecting external lcd!

I have a toshiba 2410-303 ; video card is quite the same 420go
and i had the same version story (and troubles) of you.
now (9525 beta) I'm not able to see something else than straight vertical lines over all my screen (one or two pixel thick) but the x-system and all the features of the driver are correctly loaded as reported from the xorg log (gnome start-musics goes).
Instead "nv" driver goes smoothly but without glx :-(
So I experienced an enormous load of troubles an waste of time in trying of using this so called laptop under Linux. (SD reader still does'n work).
wich frequencies you use for the screen? mine:
h 28-60
v 43-75
and all the modelines given by gtf (from 55 to 75 v)
how we can push the good nvidia guys to support this tricky thing ?
I'm still not able to manage correctly together the three video output of the card (DFP, external video and tv-out) TwinView manages more than two output?
have a nice day and good luck
David
Magonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-06, 08:15 PM   #4
UncleZeiv

Hi Magonda, I hope you solved your problem meanwhile. Anyway, for future reference, I have to say that I am now running 9631 on kernel 2.6.19 and everything is running smoothly. I just had to create a custom EDID file to correct the old "black bar" problem.

Thanks nVidia!
Old 12-29-06, 04:22 AM   #5
ursvik

i have a link to an EDID bin for this computer, should anyone be interested.
It is good for toshiba Satellite 1410 / 2410 with 1024x960 tft.

here is a post on how to use it, scroll down to the last replies, where i have seen the light
http://support.zenwalk.org/index.php/topic,3817.0.html

here is the EDID itself:
http://users.zenwalk.org/user-accoun...iba_s_1410.bin
ursvik is offline   Reply With Quote