Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-31-06, 02:15 PM   #1
winton

Send a message via AIM to winton
Default Phantasy Star Universe anyone?

I don't post much on the forums (ie I just read).

Recently purshased PSU for the pc. Having logged many hours on the original dreamcast game, I was looking foward to PSU's release.

The game is pretty easy to pick up and play. The class system reminds me of final fantasy tatics where you unlock new classes after after obtaining level x of a certain class. Right now i'm a ranger (ie run around and shoot stuff). Leveling is alot harder than I remember from the original PSO (so far at level 8 its taken me a little more than 8 hours maybe i'm just slow).

Everything is instance and there's not much running around to go from A to B. Pretty much you run an instance and anyone can join your party like diablo 2 (with a much fancier lobby as some put it).

So far content wise there's 3 planets availibe + 1 space station. I've been to 2 of the 3 planets (haven't unlocked the 3rd planet yet ). There's also a crafting system availible. I can't comment too much about it because I know jack on crafting items at the moment.

My impression so far on PSU is great. (I'm also biased since I loved PSO so much) Just wondering if anyone else is going to pick up the game.
winton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-06, 02:50 PM   #2
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Default Re: Phantasy Star Universe anyone?

I too was a gigantic PSO fan. I ended up getting my HUCaseal to level 146 with an array of legitimate rare items that even a hacker would drool over. Unfortunately with this veritable mountain of games coming out this month, I'm going to have enough trouble juggling Final Fantasy XII, Gears of War, Guitar Hero 2, and Twilight Princess (as well as Wii). Man, I need like a month off from work to handle all this stuff.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-06, 03:01 PM   #3
winton

Bad timing it seems with all so many games and with the Wii coming out. It doesn't seem like Sega is really hyping PSU that much. WoW is getting repetitive (sp?) with raiding and the expansion won't be coming out until next year. PSU is definately a nice change of pace for me. (what i don't have to spam decursive and frostbolts!!??!!)
Old 10-31-06, 03:26 PM   #4
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

I had to quit WoW. It just ate my life away. It sucks too, because a guild that has 10 bosses on farm in Naxx just practically guaranteed me an invite the other day and I had to turn them down, but oh well.

As for PSU, yeah it was pretty low-key but I have a feeling people will pick it up anyway, if nothing more than for the success of PSO (especially Ep 1&2).
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-06, 12:31 AM   #5
honkytonk

I picked up psu a couple of days ago a love it. I feel your pain, Ninja. I made the grind to rank 14, played with the gear and twinked trinkets and such, ganked a lot of people, etc. I eventually found wow to be no longer appealing. PSU came out just in time for me.
honkytonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-06, 01:33 PM   #6
winton

I love to play WoW (still playing), but raiding MC over and over makes things not so exciting. I prefer the smaller 20 mans and the 5 man content in WoW, (that's why I'm looking forward to the expansion).

PSU right now is just a lot of fun and there's a decent amount of content (although some of it is still locked), and is an excellent change of pace for me. Besides I played way too much PSO, and ever since I heard about PSU i couldn't believe it. Now its out and its everything I expected and more. (for me anyway)
Old 11-05-06, 11:28 AM   #7
glObalist
working as intended

Quote:
Originally Posted by winton
The game is pretty easy to pick up and play.
Except it doesn't utilize the mouse at all which really is a shame. Off of my HD it goes as a result of that.
Quote:
All MMO's are now baby-school weak. The only good MMO's make your eyes bleed and force you to eat glass. In my day we had to walk uphill in the snow 5 miles *JUST* to log in.
glObalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-06, 11:15 PM   #8
winton

The keyboard controls are pretty easy to get a hang of, i guess if the mouse is that important to you then i guess the game not for you.