Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-31-06, 03:47 PM   #1
merrick

Default how to draw to X-rotated framebuf ?

Hi nvidia gurus,

I'm using RedHat 7.3 (2.4.18, gcc2.96), for an embedded device that uses a video application which obtains the framebuffer address of the onboard VGA & draws 2d graphics directly to it.. has worked for many years on a 300Mhz platform in the field.

We're experimenting with a new hardware configuration that uses a GeForceFX PCI card & run Xorg, with nvidia drivers 76.76. This is so we can run GL, X apps.

The Twist:
The monitors are now being rotated (portrait) and using randr i can rotate the X display. But am not sure how to obtain the framebuffer address in rotated mode so the video app can draw to it.

I'd like to adapt the main video app to draw directly to a portion of the X screen (*using some direct framebuffer access technique) while running a GL app on the other half.

*I've looked at directfb, SDL etc but not sure what the fastest way to do this in Rotated mode would be.

Your tips would be much appreciated.

Regards
merrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-06, 05:51 PM   #2
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: how to draw to X-rotated framebuf ?

merrick,
The short answer is "don't do that!" The long answer is that you need to use either X or OpenGL to draw the data to the screen, or somehow get the driver to perform the rotation whenever you change part of the screen. You might look at XV or XShmPutImage as a reasonably fast way of uploading data in a way that the X driver knows how to rotate. This has the added benefit of being able to clip your video against sibling or child windows.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-06, 02:00 PM   #3
merrick

Default Re: how to draw to X-rotated framebuf ?

It took a little hacking of the Xorg drawing code; but i acheived what i wanted to do.
thanks for responding!
merrick is offline   Reply With Quote